It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PD: Innocent woman killed by officer's stray bullet in downtown Orlando

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

An innocent woman inside an Orlando bar was struck and killed by a police officer's stray bullet early Tuesday morning, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said.

Police said they were called to a report of a man shooting a gun at Vixen Bar on South Orange Avenue just before 1 a.m. Tuesday.The suspect, identified as Kody Roach, had been kicked out of the bar and was trying to get back in with a gun in tow, according to witnesses.

Three officers responded, and officers Jeff Angel and Eduardo Sanguino shot at Roach, police said.

Maria Fernada Godinez, 22, a patron at the bar, was killed by Sanguino's bullet.

"We join her friends and family as they mourn her loss," Mina said.

PD: Innocent woman killed by officer's stray bullet in downtown Orlando

Not sure if this is the proper forum, but I think people need to see this.

So there was a reported shooting in Orlando, and in the process of apprehending the guy there was an exchange of bullets. The suspect was hit multiple times, one officer was hit in the leg.

Orlando isn't exactly a horrible city, but it's not a place you want to be lost at night if you're not from 'around there'.

I would like to relate this to the ridiculous response by the public in the Ferguson situation. I predict that there will be no form of rioting, no destructive actions, and we may even see a REAL community outpouring of supporters and fellow mourners.

The 'victim' here appears to be Hispanic (going by her name alone, I could be wrong) and the officer ( Eduardo Sanguino ), whose bullet is said to have killed her appears to be Hispanic as well (judging only by his pictures and name, sue me).

I make no claim to know the truth behind the Brown case in MO.

This woman who was killed was 100%, undeniably innocent. She was literally in the wrong place at the wrong time. No possibility of anyone claiming she attacked the police, no possibility of her history of crime (or lack thereof) coming into play while forming an opinion of the situation. What happened to her was a freak accident, probably caused by poor judgement and poor shooting skills on the police side of things.

With all that considered, I can almost guarantee that this will be absolutely nothing like the Ferguson response.

Why not? Seems like a perfect situation to put in the spotlight and make an example of police being horrible people...

ETA Another Source
edit on 8/19/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
How can you compare this to Ferguson when this surely appears to be an accident. The officer involved was in a shoot out with a suspect who was firing back at them. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Tragic.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Apples and oranges. The Orlando shooting was a complete accident. Since the guy they were after was armed and brandishing his weapon and threatening people with it, the cops were totally justified in firing at this guy. It is simply tragic that one of the bullets the cops fired found an innocent victim instead of the suspect.

Ferguson we have a different scenario. A cop who was not even responding to the shoplifting incident pumps 9 rounds into an unarmed kid who was either running away, or possibly surrendering.

If you want to play the race card, then the Orlando incident still is different. You have Hispanic cop shooting Hispanic woman by accident while in gun fight with some jackass. Both from same ethnic group, thus, no need for tensions with others. In Ferguson, you have a white cop going overkill on a black kid.

The two can't even be compared, so the reaction to either can't be compared, either.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
How can you compare this to Ferguson when this surely appears to be an accident. The officer involved was in a shoot out with a suspect who was firing back at them. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Tragic.

Yep, wrong place, wrong time. Innocent.

The side of the Ferguson issue that supports Brown claims he was innocent and didn't deserve to be killed. His death resulted in a bunch of dumbasses destroying their own town.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
It is really sad and really sick that my first thought when I read your headline was:

I pray she isn't black.

Because I knew if she wasn't black then everything would be ok and all hell would not break lose in Orlando.

Too bad that was my first thought. A sign of the times. Not a sign of racism, but a sign of the times we are living in.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I agree 100% with your point about this being a completely different situation. Terrible, freak accident. However I feel this;

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Ferguson we have a different scenario. A cop who was not even responding to the shoplifting incident pumps 9 rounds into an unarmed kid who was either running away, or possibly surrendering.

Technically you should add "running away, possibly surrendering or engaging in aggressive behavior toward an officer of the law."

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If a citizen was defending themselves from a bunch of other citizens, and a stray bullet did this same thing to a bystander, the police would be charging the person with manslaghter. I'll bet the police will get a free pass though.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

Doesn't sound like he gunned her down like a rabid dog in the street...

That's the opinion some people have about the Ferguson situation.

I don't see how you can compare the two AT ALL.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

You know the reality of it is.

If she had been black......

the media and black leaders would be screaming at the top of their lungs in comparison of the two.

Wrong, sick, but the way the USA operates these days. The way it is.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bumfuzzle

True, technically, because the case is still undergoing investigation. However, I am seeing far more condemning the cop than Brown.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

I have seen or heard evidence supporting one or the other. I will not say one way or the other because really, who the heck am I? I would like to see the truth (not a version of it created by the good ol' boy club) of the matter. Justice for all, not for some. The Ferguson events have opened a lot of eyes to real problems in our land of the free, and hopefully some good can come from it. Someone needs to watch the watchers, more transparency and accountability for starters. This is a different topic for another thread however and I apologize to the OP for derailing.

Keeping on topic, I would hope cooler heads prevail and realize the Orlando shooting was a tragic accident that doesn't require revenge or hatred toward an officer simply trying to do his job as best he could.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

You know the reality of it is.

If she had been black......

the media and black leaders would be screaming at the top of their lungs in comparison of the two.

Wrong, sick, but the way the USA operates these days. The way it is.

And that is essentially the reason for posting this.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Detroit, last week, a small child killed by stray bullet shot at kids on a porch. Went through the wall while he was sleeping.

Are we going to keep bringing up all these everyday, all day because of Ferguson? I assure you, terrible as they are...they are not unique...happens a ton of more times than this one...so why play this card?

Because of Ferguson? These were still happening weeks, months and years ago. Youre just talking because of recent events. Not new. Not unique. Not related.

IF at all...barely...and nothng new to us all.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

This is known as manslaughter. Arrest the officer. Have a Grand Jury start presentment hearings.

Flip on the lights, arrest just a few for being irresponsible and watch those guns rarely come out, ever again.
edit on 19-8-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Not Authorized

This is known as manslaughter. Arrest the officer. Have a Grand Jury start presentment hearings.

Flip on the lights, arrest just a few for being irresponsible and watch those guns rarely come out, ever again.

Good luck, it was just an unavoidable casualty.

new topics

top topics

join