It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Measurers and Their Culture of Deceit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Temperature is something that anyone can measure. Get a thermometer, place it in an always shady spot, preferably off the ground, and against something (not metal) that doesn't absorb or radiate heat. Put it somewhere that will catch a breeze if there is one.

Next step: go on the internet to get the current temperature from various sites for your area. Some sites have great programs because they let you choose the measuring location so that you can make it as close to your own as possible. If you have 8.1, there is a good weather program that comes with it. If you go on a site that lets you choose the weather station location, be sure to match elevations as much as possible to your own. Most places this is probably not a problem but in Las Vegas the elevation changes as much as 300 feet just driving down a street because it's hilly and elevation does matter.

Third step: compare the current temperatures i.e. your measurement with the various internet sites. Also, call some friends across the country and ask them to check these sites for your current temperature.

Then you can reverse this and check your personal site for a friends' temperature and compare with what their site is telling them their temperature is and also with what their gauge is telling them their temperature is.

I think you'll be really surprised. Temperatures vary by 3 to 5 to 8 and as much as 10 degrees difference. You may also notice that the forecast high, i.e. 102 degrees F, is continually upped during the day to meet existing conditions. A forecast of 102 winds up being 112 reported as 101 by sites brought up by friends in different geographical areas. Your own measurement will tell you that the high was 117.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: luxordelphi

I read somewhere recently that past weather records had been altered, in a way that favored the global warming lie. Do you think what you have noticed is for the same reason?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Funny that you should state it that way because I looked for a forum titled "global warming" to put this in but found nothing. So, I'm thinking, it's pretty obvious who is favoring a lie and what that lie is.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: luxordelphi

Why do you conclude that people are being deciptive? As you state - temperaters vary in very close proximity. Two rooms in the same house have different air temps depending on the way they face - or how the A/C work or don't - or windows/doors open or not.

The thermometers used may be calibrated differently = I mean really? Willful deceit?

My car thermometer always lies to me, it's in a very poor location. Predictions are best guesses and general. I go by how it feels, how it used to feel and trust my own weather instincts.

Weather predication was more reliable in the past - but it's always been an artform more then a science.

Get outside - feel it.

Paranoid.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have noticed the same things due to living in the mountains. If you can find a weather location at a nearby school that's the best. Especially if you have children because school closings will be going by that location.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Measurements displayed virtually are deceptive. Because A.I. remains without proof and will remain without proof and because phenomenal magic in a virtual world is just sleight of hand, we are left with deceitful input deliberatelywrought.

The lie is easily seen by following the experiment I outlined. Because input is willful, it is willful deceit.

All I can really say is that it's harmful and dangerous to tell people that the temperature is less than what it is. I.E.: a coach on a football team practice telling the team it's only 99 degrees and so why are they shirking? Next page...someone winds up dead from heat stroke.

That's not an art form...it's a death sentence.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

One of the closest locations to me is measured a full 40 feet off the ground. This makes the temperature completely different from what I am measuring or, for that matter, from what I am experiencing or, from what anyone on the ground is experiencing.

104 degrees F is the point at which I want my children indoors and air conditioned. It's based on the way I feel at that temperature. My children are not impacted by temperatures 40 feet off the ground but rather by ground temperature.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Well they can't get the temperature right for an entire city. It is just an average, and a guess at that. Besides, it's not illegal to own your own thermometers. The weather forecast is basically just for letting you know if you should bring a coat or wear shorts. They don't always get it right but in my experience when they say it's gonna be a hot weekend, it usually is, or if they say temperatures will drop below 40F, they are generally correct.

By the way there's a Fragile Earth forum that is for weather and geology stuff like earthquakes or crazy weather. I think that's where the global warming topics are. There are probably not enough topics posted on global warming each week to necessitate it's own forum. In the past I think it Might have had its own forum but that's when it was more of a hot topic.

I'd be more than willing to believe or explore the idea that there is some deception going on in many areas of our life, just check my post history. And you may be onto something with the idea that they are giving you temperatures 40 feet in the air, but I don't know, it seems like they would not want their temperature sensors in the shade so they have to put them up high enough to be in the sun all the time.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Temperatures for global warming numbers and temperatures for urban areas are actually measured differently. Urban area temperatures don't get included in global warming numbers.

If one considers that deforestation contributes to global warming and that reforestation would alleviate that, one should, imo, also consider expanses of concrete and asphalt. One should even consider the man-made thousand degree temperatures surrounding thermal power plants at 40 feet. But that's not how it's done. Asphalt and concrete and 1000 degrees at 40 feet are considered anomalies. Global warming is kind of segmented in this way as if to say that our human contribution should not be figured in. Kind of weird.

One of the hottest places on earth, the Lut Desert in Iran, is like asphalt in that it is composed of dark colored pebbles. And yet it's definitely not urban.

My complaint with measurers is this: on a hot day...100 degrees F +...my local weather stations will show, for instance, 112 degrees as a high. My own measurement will show 117 degrees. The forecast will have been 102 degrees. My friends across the country will show me at 102 degrees. On a cool day...85 degrees F...everyone will agree.

There seems to be some diddling with extremes.

p.s.: forgot to mention that air temperatures are measured in the shade because otherwise you wind up with the temperature of the actual thermometer instead of the air surrounding it.

edit on 21-8-2014 by luxordelphi because: forgot to address question

top topics

join