It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

365.25 days, 360 degrees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
It takes the earth to orbit the sun 365.25 days in a year. In a circle, there is 360 degrees. There is no such thing as a perfect circle. I know the Earth doesnt orbit the sun in a complete circle, does that mean gravity isnt balance to make a close enough perfect circle? Gravity is a force so something must push the Earth a little to make it a little oval shape. Or maybe the degrees of the circle are miscalculated?

[edit on 5/12/2004 by Channy]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Uh, or maybe the earth just doesn't travel exactly one degree of its orbit around the sun for every time it makes a full rotation about its own axis?

(Incidentally, the number of degrees in a circle cannot be miscalculated as by definition one degree is 1/360th of a circle)

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Uh, or maybe the earth just doesn't travel exactly one degree of its orbit around the sun for every time it makes a full rotation about its own axis?

Does that mean time slows down then? lol. Time and gravity are linked arent they in that in a massive pressure, something happens. Im dont really know much and I might be stating somethign wrong.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
nothing is perfect. earth isnt a perfect sphere. the orbits of other planet exist. their gravitational effect on us exists.

the closer you get to the sun, the less eccentric your orbit gets. there is, however, no good reason why we should orbit in a perfect circle. there are plenty of reasons why we shouldnt, the best one being that nothing is perfect, even space.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
i got another theory, maybe we do orbit in a circle but the line is not straight? have i confused ya? when you walk on a surface which is entirely flat but in circles at equal length, compare it to walking in circles but with different steepnesses of the walking surface? the length would be a little bigger.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Channy
i got another theory, maybe we do orbit in a circle but the line is not straight? have i confused ya? when you walk on a surface which is entirely flat but in circles at equal length, compare it to walking in circles but with different steepnesses of the walking surface? the length would be a little bigger.

what are you talking about, tilt? that just rotates the circle, you've traveled the same distance. if the surface on which you are traveling is tilted, and you trace out a circle relative to the untilted plane, you arent traveling in a circle anymore.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You seem to be missing the point channy, as far as I can tell you are suggesting that the Earth's rotation about the sun should be exactly 360 days and are looking for reasons why it isn't?

Theres no reason why the Earth should orbit the sun in exactly 360 days. Mars for example orbits the sun in about 670 martian days. That isn't even close.

The time it takes a planet to orbit its star is not related to the time it takes to rotate on its own axis. If earth spun faster and the days were shorter, it would not move any quicker around the sun, the year would just have more days in it.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
im in my own world sorry

i only started this topic because i thought maybe thats how we linked 365 to 360

discussion finnished for me

E_T

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It's because starting values have been little wrong.

Why do planets have elliptical orbits?
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

PS. Here's good "game" for wasting time.

arachnoid.com... (requires Java so it's OS independent)

[edit on 5-12-2004 by E_T]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
PS. Here's good "game" for wasting time.

arachnoid.com... (requires Java so it's OS independent)/quote]

thats fantastic, im not getting any work done today. good link

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have to agree with Amory about your Gravitation link E_T..
There was a DOS version years ago that I used to mess with.
And now this version

I particularly like the part, when a planet is FLUNG out of the system.
....I am SPACEDOUBT, DESTROYER OF WORLDS!

E_T

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I have to agree with Amory about your Gravitation link E_T..
There was a DOS version years ago that I used to mess with.
I played with one this kind of program in Windows 3.1 when PCs were with 486 CPU.

PS. Try that chaotic system, if you got it right objects orbiting to opposite directions collide to each other effectively zeroing speed and causing result to "drop" to sun.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Channy
It takes the earth to orbit the sun 365.25 days in a year. In a circle, there is 360 degrees. There is no such thing as a perfect circle. I know the Earth doesnt orbit the sun in a complete circle, does that mean gravity isnt balance to make a close enough perfect circle? Gravity is a force so something must push the Earth a little to make it a little oval shape. Or maybe the degrees of the circle are miscalculated?

[edit on 5/12/2004 by Channy]

Just something to make you think.

There is supposly 365 days in a year and every 4th year is a leap year making it a 366th day right.
Now applying the 360 to complete the circle as what comes around goes around.

And the 5 remaining days are your 5 senses see,taste,smell,hear and touch.

If you then learn to apply 360 degrees of knowledge to each individual sense you will gain the 6th sense.

Well don't mind me, just wanted to share that with anyone who can use it.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2ndSEED
Just something to make you think.

There is supposly 365 days in a year and every 4th year is a leap year making it a 366th day right.
Now applying the 360 to complete the circle as what comes around goes around.

And the 5 remaining days are your 5 senses see,taste,smell,hear and touch.

If you then learn to apply 360 degrees of knowledge to each individual sense you will gain the 6th sense.

Well don't mind me, just wanted to share that with anyone who can use it.

im interested in what you have to say but i dont get ya, sorry!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Just to confuse you a bit more, tidal drag is slowing down the Earth�s rotation. At one time (back when the trilobites ruled the world) there were around 400 days in a year. This was because each day was only around 22 hours long.

One interesting point, in a relativistic sense, time does slow up a bit as the Earth speeds up in its orbit around the sun (i.e. when it gets to the �closer half� of the ellipse to the sun). We don�t notice it on Earth of course, but an observer in a spaceship might, once you accounted for all of the other differences in relative velocities.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Channy

We just made time up, time is b.s. If i can make it to the moon in 5 hours, the watch on my wrist isnt fooled. Could it make sense that this is eternity and the only reason we have time is because there is none?

top topics

join