It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizens beware...New Police trick taking place. Would this one upset you? Scamming the innocent.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
About 3 years ago, My husband and I had police cars come to our residence and tell us they must search our home. We had just purchased a new land line phone and I was trying to figure it out and program it and such. It was one of those ones that seemed harder to figure out than the dash board on the space shuttle, I swear. So many confusing instructions that didn't seem to work when being implemented. I sat there for I don't know how long pushing buttons and such but I was being careful relevant to which buttons...I am sure of that. I finally got frustrated and threw the darn thing down and gave up. Not long after, the police came and demanded entry into our home. They said they had received a 9 one one call from our address and a hang up and it was the law that we allow a search.

I was thinking about questioning the entire scenario but thought against it as hubby has had 2 bypass surgeries and his ribs are ruined because of it and I was worried that if I made too much of a fuss that he might get tased and I have irregular heart beat issues so I didn't want that either. The other problem that made me comply is that a 20 year old girl from the neighborhood had gone missing the day before and I felt like we would look suspicious to not comply. Well, I was respectful and courteous and let them do their thing. They looked into every room, closet, bathroom, under the bed and such and when satisfied, they finally left. However, this incident has stuck in my mind for a long time.

The poor girl was found dead from too many prescription drugs that had her confused and disorientated and drowned in a nearby swamp...case closed.

To get to the part that really troubles me now the most, I have been reading at various websites that this is a "new" tactic police use lately, to gain entry into peoples homes by stating they got a 9 one one hang up call and folks distinctly remember and know that no such event occurred. In my case, I feel very sure I dialed no such set of numbers either. I guess if police can now enter homes because of such...he said it is the law, I can see where it would be helpful to them...no warrants and all of that. When innocent folks that have done nothing have to allow police in their homes they tend to no longer feel safe about their person or on their property. Isn't there some kind of rule against that in the Bill of Rights or Constitution or somewhere? In our case, there was an unusual set of circumstances going on but what about for other folks that have no such situation...the police say something about their phone and a hang up even if the citizen knows they did not use the phone but can't have a say and have to comply or else perhaps get tased or worse. Just something else for all of us to think about and be concerned about...more rights going down the drain. Will it be swat teams for those scenarios next. Intimidating and scary...especially for older people with limited mobility and such. What if they don't answer the door quick enough. Just more and more idiocy going on all the time.

I felt sorry for the girl and what her family went through.

I had a neighbor that was always giving us a hard time and wonder if he added to the situation somehow. Also, we are one of those families that have a sign in the front window that says, "Forget the dog, beware of owner" and it has a picture of a hand holding a gun. I'm still not going to take the pic down anyhow. Someone doesn't like it, whatever. Did some Sheriff ride by once and see it and wonder if we were preppers or had a cache of weapons and don't tread on me signs in the house and maybe drugs or anti govt. pamphlets. Well, we didn't/ We have hunting shotgun and some hand guns not in view but hardly an arsenal and we have no plans to do ill...so, the whole thing just makes me wonder at times and hearing that it is also a "new" trick they use now on unsuspecting, innocent citizenry. It just makes ya wonder. Pretty sneaky trick/scam at any rate.

Any one else every subjected to a search because of a so called call like that...that they "claim" happened and you know the phone was not even used or used but not in that way? Heads up for you guys anyway.

I guess I understand it if it is a law if there really is a call to police and then a hang up. Those should be looked into, as someone could be hurt, or needing help. In that case, YES. But if that law is being used falsely, then it is being abused. How can we, as citizens, deal with such a trick/scam.
edit on 18-8-2014 by shrevegal because: error

edit on 18-8-2014 by shrevegal because: error

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Get rid of your land line.

Couldn't happen with a cell phone.

Yet.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
They could try all they want .. but unless they have a valid warrant theyre arses stay outside.

One of many reasons glad that not in the states ..

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal

Police can only enter your home in the UK(Take it your USA) if they suspect violence is happening or drugs are being consumed on the property. Any other reason requires a warrant. Best way to stop Police scum lying to you is simply to film them, they really don't cope to well under pressure but then again most of them have a substandard education not to mention bullying issues and a uniform complex.
edit on 18-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I had an old girlfriend with the digits 911 in her phone number. And I had a crappy phone where the buttons required a very hard push to register that digit. I ended up calling 911 a lot!

I know from experience that the police have to personally check out every 911 call. They showed up to my house a couple of times for this very reason. Not once did they ask to come inside and look around. They just talked to me or whoever answered the door. I'm not sure what would actually give them cause to come inside and look around, or if methods have changed since I was younger.

Very strange tactic! and you bring up an interesting point. Are they going to start pulling this crap every time they want to investigate someone's home without a warrant? It's a chilling thought! and I'm sure many are willing to invite the police right in.

The times they are-a-changin'

edit on 18-8-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: shrevegal

Police can only enter your home in the UK(Take it your USA) if they suspect violence is happening or drugs are being consumed on the property.

What a load of cobblers - you source for that claim is what exactly?

When officers do not need a warrant A police officer does not need to apply for a warrant when entering and searching a premises under Section 17 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. A police officer is able to do this in the following circumstances: When a warrant for arrest has been issued and the police officer has reasonable grounds to believe the individual is on the property. To arrest an individual for a sufficiently serious crime. To recapture any individual who is unlawfully at large. To save an individual’s life or prevent serious damage to a person or property.

www.findlaw.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Edit. Nvm.
edit on 18-8-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
A 911 call is probable cause, however, they would have to have proof of said call to be able to lawfully enter your home. And that call would have to have something in it to suggest someone was in trouble. There actually was a case where a drug dealer accidentally dialled 911 from his cellphone and after a while they tracked the call using triangulation (cell towers to locate) which usually isn't that accurate but maybe there wasn't much around. In any case, he pocket dialled himself into prison.

In your case, it would be a toss up because you weren't sure what you had done. If you had accidentally dialled denying them entry might not have been the best move. If you are sure you haven't dialled though, you can just say "sorry, no thank you", remember you only have to comply to lawfull orders, not unlawful ones. And unfortunately they give unlawful ones all the time.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Those are the only two instances Police can enter your property without a Warrant. If there searching for someone in particular then they may ask to come into your home and have a look around but you are perfectly within your rights to refuse entry and require them to obtain a warrant. Police can get around this by claiming drugs, violence or sight of the suspect and force entry but if the person that they are seeking turns out not to be there or there are no drugs and/or violence taking place then that can be considered to be an act of malice on their part and hence illegal entry by a court of law.

As to my source, unfortunately that's down to personal experience.

edit on 18-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Could it be possible that the dial-up of 911 is part of a preset already set-up on your telephone by the manufacturerer? And that you possibly hit that button?

Here in Norway, if you dial "911" (which isn't remotely one of our emergency numbers) on your mobile phone, you will automatically be redirected to one of our emergency numbers (112). I believe this works in Europe entirely. However, I doubt it's likely that american landline phones has a similar issue if dialing another country's emergency number(s). But you never know..
edit on 18/8/14 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Droogie
Could it be possible that the dial-up of 911 is part of a preset already set-up on your telephone by the manufacturerer? And that you possibly hit that button?

Here in Norway, if you dial "911" (which isn't remotely one of our emergency numbers) on your mobile phone, you will automatically be redirected to one of our emergency numbers (112). I believe this works in Europe entirely. However, I doubt it's likely that american landline phones has a similar issue if dialing another country's emergency number(s). But you never know..

They don't. I like Europe does it, wish we did too.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

Yet.

Good plan.
I haven't had one for over ten years.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
We kind of had a similar incident back when my 13 year old was around 3. He was in the living room, playing with his 2 older siblings, somehow, the phone landed on the floor, dialed 911, no one realized it, but the dispatcher said she heard screaming & laughing, which obviously, that was the kids playing...long story short, my husband was outside doing yard work, I'm in the kitchen making dinner, my husband comes walking in with the cops...lol....they were actually very nice because they obviously seen the children playing, I searched for the phone, apologized & said it was an accident by the youngest, they just laughed, made small talk & left...never searched anything.....I think the difference is, my town is so small 1 mile by 1 mile in its entirety, most of the cops on the force have children in school with my own, they know us, we know them....Crazy but it can happen. Maybe I shouldn't have had 911 on speed dial. It was odd that my son just dropped the phone & the phone happened to hit that specific #......edited to add, your situation might have been heightened due to the missing person in your area?? That's a possibility, maybe??
edit on 8/18/14 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Police can get around this by claiming drugs, violence or sight of the suspect and force entry but if the person that they are seeking turns out not to be there or there are no drugs and/or violence taking place then that can be considered to be an act of malice on their part and hence illegal entry by a court of law.

Police will also outright lie.

My friend had his home searched because they said a neighbor across the street has accused someone on the premises of indecently exposing themselves in the w_indow. I honestly don't believe that he would do that and he claims it was probably just the police hoping to find something illegal like drugs and so on and made up a story to get entrance.

They will lie their pants off and take advantage of ppl who don't know their rights, especially when it comes to gaining entry into a house.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Yet.

Good plan.

Just curious, do you still have to pay an extortionate amount to the telephone company for the existing landline to be "terminated/cut" so you don't keep getting charged line rental fees?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats

originally posted by: butcherguy

Yet.

Good plan.

Just curious, do you still have to pay an extortionate amount to the telephone company for the existing landline to be "terminated/cut" so you don't keep getting charged line rental fees?

I live in Pennsylvania.
I haven't paid any fees for not having a land line phone connected. There was a line coming in when I moved in my current residence, but I never had the service connected.
edit on bu312014-08-18T09:00:52-05:0009America/ChicagoMon, 18 Aug 2014 09:00:52 -05009u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
You do realize that 911 hang ups and alarm activations happen all the time even if their is no human interaction with the device (phone, alarm keypad etc).

Phone lines and alarms are all mechanical and sometimes they malfunction. 911 hang ups and alarm activations increase substantially when there is inclement weather/power surges. Especially during storms, snow and high wind.

www.bing.com...

During the rainy season in Florida we see a huge increase in 911 hang ups and alarm activations. Sometimes we will get a 911 hang up from a vacant lot. Even though there is no house on the property there are still phone lines.

We also get a lot of 911 hang ups from people butt dialing with their cell phone.
edit on 18-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
holy sh!t, that is crazy... i'm thankful to be made aware of this just in case. I'm sure that's happening and has been happening here in NYC. Such a dirty, underhanded trick.

One of the first possible negative scenarios that came to mind after reading the OP was concerning a certain trend with some police officers where once they come into the house or even on the property in the person's yard, god forbid the person maybe owns a dog and it's not chained up to a tree or chained in the basement or some crap, the officer gets spooked because the dog blinks at them the wrong way and then they shoot & kill the family pet and justify it because the animal wasn't "restrained properly" or some other BS. It's happened way too many times all over the country and nothing ever comes of it in terms of repercussions.

i don't like the idea of this kind of sh!t one fu*king bit. Its just more police state style behavior.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I would LOVE to see them pull that with someone that has no phone.
LEO: "Ma'am, we got a 9-1-1 call from this residence, someone called and hung up. We are required to search the residence."
Civilian: "Officer, there is NO phone in this house, cell or landline,"
LEO: "..."

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

If there is phone lines running to the house it can still happen.

The residence does not have to have an actual phone plugged in.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join