It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Channel and Fictional Topics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Quick question, do you think people have the right to be angry when they are gullible enough to believe some of the fictional documenteries that discovery shows?

Examples..the mermaid one and Megalodon one. Those are the only two I saw..and it says before hand it is a dramatization..either before hand or after. Oh yeah the one with the shark called Submarine..that is supposedly 35 ft in length.

Also the quality of these show is horrible..not to mention the blatant CGI they use. I have no clue as to how anyone could be fooled by this.

It amazes me the things people will believe. I watch them with the knowledge it is fiction and for entertainment only. Kind of like movies.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Quick answer;

Maybe it's an entertainment show.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Maybe read the question..

I was asking if gullible people have the right to be angry if it is their fault they were suckered in.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Maybe they're confused fiction is on discovery channel. I know I'm still confused the weather channel has shows.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
The gullible are probably gullible enough to believe they have such right. Therefore, they will look for other gullible people to take their side, and sue the Discovery Channel ... NVM. No. Gullible people have no right. Gullible people are the reason everyone is losing their rights. Gullible people, in fact, create a lot of white noise.

Me ... I'm just looking for a little peace and quiet. Funny thing ... The Discovery Channel is one of the few English broadcasts I can actually view at home. I just laugh at the stupid logic they often use to articulate scientific development. I do favor the shows where they portray industrial processes.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
If they figured out they were suckered into believing something that turned out to be false, they are that much better off than the rest of the gullible herds that didn't.

In answer to your question, yes. I think they have the right to be upset upon realization the lines between fact, fiction, and reasonable theories are being blurred more and more by these mocumentaries and pseudo-science presented as science (I'm not saying Ancient Aliens, but, Ancient Aliens!). Keeping an open mind is definitely a good thing, don't get me wrong. But sometimes I think being extremely open minded is just as dangerous as keeping a closed one. Like most things in life, you need balance.

Edit:
As for me, I stopped watching television a long time ago. If I decide to watch anything it's with my family or online and commercial free. Shows like what we've talked about do make me angry. In fact I saw a bit of that megalodon thing on the net without the "dramatization disclaimer" and figured DC just decided to be blunt about their shenanigans, which made me grit my teeth.
edit on 16-8-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: typo

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
a reply to: xuenchen

Maybe read the question..

I was asking if gullible people have the right to be angry if it is their fault they were suckered in.

It depends on their understanding of what "rights" mean.

And, if they understand what "anger" is.

Not to be confused with jealousy and vengeance and spite.

And of course, if they would be "blaming" somebody else for their gullibility.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Short answer, yes, they have a right to be angry or to emote in any other way they should desire. They don't have a right to monetary compensation or to compel channels not to present fables as fact. It would do them well to swallow their anger, accept their shame and learn how to let an idea reside in their mind without allowing it to own them.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Dis show is sooo brutal... Megalodon + bad actors = Tomato attack on TV screen.

Megalotomato is REAL!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

No. But we have a right to be angry on their behalf.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

If they can't tell & they miss the/ignore the part where it says it is fake, then no you can't be mad at Discovery for airing that show. The onus is on you for believing it.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I didn't think the Submarine one was too bad for what it was. I think they would have done better to keep it in the realm of the Old Hilter/Harbormaster one that they showed later on. That one actually was plausible and far more fitting as speculative type documentary/mockumentary.

The Subamarine one would have been even better if they hadn't then, erm, jumped the shark with the dramatic rescue footage at the end. Sometimes never showing a thing, only hinting at it, is better than trying to use bad CGI to show it to us. People do have imaginations you know.

As to thinking the Submarine one is real? No, but they could have tried to make a case for it if they had wanted to instead of completely faking it out. The Harbormaster/Old Hitler shark is possibility. Hammerheads do get very large, and there are filmed specimens in the upper limits of the teens pushing 20'.

Oh, well, it gave me something entertaining to watch while I've been sick on the couch all week.

And it says something about the level of ignorance in society in general that people can't distinguish between real and fake anymore.

top topics

join