It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Vatican’s Response to Airstrikes Against Islamic State a Major Policy Reversal?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Hello old friend

I must say, I share your thoughts and also had a flash of the Crusades part 3 .
However , the first thing to come to mind is will this Isis group now attempt to take out the Pope ? And on that note, didn't the prophecy of the Pope by Saint Malachy speak of this Pope witnessing what sounded like total destruction of the Vatican ? Hmmmm , scary times ...

As for ending this peacefully , given the mind set of some of these people I have serious concerns as to if that's even possible

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Max_TO

Whats up Max?

Long time no see. hope all is well in your neck of the woods. I dunno, this seems to be a slippery slope imho. I'm sure somehow the Vatican's stance could be misconstrued by the more extreme members of the Christian faith.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I posted this some time back... I am glad to see - Scroll to bottom of post-

originally posted by: Xcathdra

The Catholic church's response, imo, seems to be in line with the current pope and his leadership. He seems more concerned with things that matter than polish and image of the church. I have made comments where I want the leaders who represent Islam to call these idiots out. My position on that would include leadership of other religions. If the Pope see's ISIS for what it is and not what ISIS claims, then I think its a good thing.

Its not only saying the Catholic religion does not condone the actions of ISIS in principle, but it also rejects ISIS trying to claim they are acting in the name of Islam. I think on its face it shows support for Christians and other minorities while under the kin its showing support for Islam in that ISIS does not speak for Islam nor represent it.

I think this is a subtle way for the Catholic church to support Islam without coming out and making that comment, which could lead to issues within Islam (religion to religion politics / sensibilities).

Islamic authority: Extremists no 'Islamic State'

CAIRO (AP) — The top Islamic authority in Egypt, revered by many Muslims worldwide, launched an Internet-based campaign Sunday challenging an extremist group in Syria and Iraq by saying it should not be called an "Islamic State."

The campaign by the Dar el-Ifta, the top authority that advises Muslims on spiritual and life issues, adds to the war of words by Muslim leaders across the world targeting the Islamic State group, which controls wide swaths of Iraq and Syria. Its violent attacks, including mass shootings, destroying Shiite shrines, targeting minorities and beheadings including American journalist James Foley, have shocked Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

The Grand Mufti of Egypt, Shawki Allam, previously said the extremists violate all Islamic principles and laws and described the group as a danger to Islam as a whole. Now, the Dar el-Ifta he oversees will suggest foreign media drop using "Islamic State" in favor of the "al-Qaida Separatists in Iraq and Syria," or the acronym "QSIS," said Ibrahim Negm, an adviser to the mufti.

This is part of a campaign that "aims to correct the image of Islam that has been tarnished in the West because of these criminal acts, and to exonerate humanity from such crimes that defy natural instincts and spreads hate between people," Negm said according to Egypt's state news agency MENA. "We also want to reaffirm that all Muslims are against these practices which violate the tolerant principles of Islam."

Egypt's President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi also weighed in. On Sunday, speaking to editors of Egyptian newspapers, he said the extremist group is part of a plot aiming to "undermine Islam as a belief."

He said the current religious discourse in the region only feeds "minds that believe that killing and bloodshed is the way to defend Islam," in comments carried by MENA.

El-Sissi has been a champion of advancing moderate Islam, building his power base in the chaotic region and since he ousted Islamist President Mohammed Morsi on vows to crush extremist Islam.

Sunni And Shiite British Imams Denounce ISIS Together In New Video

I know the saying is actions are louder than words. However in this case the words are an excellent first step and the fact its coming from both groups in Islam, including statements coming from both side in the same video, gives me hope.

I hope that this is the beginning of the end for militant Islam.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join