It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis-Based Batteries Could Charge Your Phone in Seconds—And Change the Way We Store Energy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Another advantage of industrial hemp:

www.alternet.org...

During the American Chemical Society' [3]s national meeting in San Francisco on Tuesday, engineering professor David Mitlin (who now works at Clarkson University in New York) presented the findings. The study he led investigates the potential for industrial hemp (the non-psychoactive cannabis plant closely related to marijuana) to aid in the creation of extremely efficient batteries called supercapacitors, or “supercaps.” By heating hemp fibers, the researchers were able to rearrange the plant's carbon atoms to create thin, two-dimensional sheets, or nanosheets. Those nanosheets are then used as electrodes (electrical conductors) in the supercaps.

Prior research into supercaps broke ground using graphene [4], rather than hemp, to create the nanosheets with unmatched results for energy storage. Since then, scientists have been looking for ways to use “graphene’s unique properties to build better solar cells, water filtration systems, touch-screen technology, as well as batteries and supercapacitors. The problem is it’s expensive,” ACS reported in a press release [3].

The recent hemp study shows hemp to be more efficient than graphene, and 1,000 times cheaper, since hemp is fast-growing and relatively easy to process.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

If that's the case I'm sure there are other weeds out there that are just as if not more effective than hemp...people are just not looking in different directions or they choose not to....

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

There's already a hemp infrastructure. Why go out for milk when you've got a cash cow at home?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Because of the stigma behind Hemp...if ragweed had similar benefits who would complain? Other than those allergic to it...leave them no room for excuses..

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Great... now my cell phone will drop its signal and then ask for chips, a Mountain Dew, and a nap?

Seriously cool discovery.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

That stigma is as old as my grandmother (bless her soul). It's really time to move forward. The cost of implementing a system for ragweed when one is already in place would be redundant. The R&D would be in the millions and who's going to invest? Hemp already has everyone's attention and from a business standpoint, a ragweed replacement wouldn't even make runner up.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne
Great... now my cell phone will drop its signal and then ask for chips, a Mountain Dew, and a nap?

Seriously cool discovery.

~Namaste

I laughed out loud at that one.

mmm, now I want some snacks,
Before my nap.......

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Who needs an iPhone...?
Just...put the batteries in brownies, and...relax

Hope that doesn't violate any particular...uhhh...well... Guess we'll see.

Interesting find, though!
Wonder if they could do that with home-electricity generators...

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
The company's name is alta supercaps, but I there's no stock available. That's what I'm interested in. If anyone can find it let me know I've been looking but I haven't had any luck

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Wanderer777
You may already have seen this...but, it looks to me as if they might be 'owned/sponsored' by The Mitlin Group...that is somehow associated with the University of Alberta...
I'd think that might be a place to look... They're apparently in-to this kind of technology, on all levels.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Hemp has a long history of use across the board from health to clothing. Why have such a downer on what nature has decided to put on this planet and is cheap to grow.

I understood that hemp is a strong robust plant and doesn't need the amount of water, fertilizer, no pesticides or herbisides. One acre of hemp produces the equivalent of 3 acres of cotton for clothing - its only government policy that makes the world use expensive crops as opposed to the one natural to the planet that grows all around it. 'Industrial hemp' does not contain THC in the amounts that Satssiva hemp does,' but there are a lot of companies making huge profits because of this outdated and outmoded government policy.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

dang you beat me to it. I was going to post it yesterday but I was just too busy.

Interesting article, it reminds me of: Organic battery (rhubarb) hailed as cheap renewable energy solution Rhubarb being used for batteries.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

dang you beat me to it. I was going to post it yesterday but I was just too busy.

Interesting article, it reminds me of: Organic battery (rhubarb) hailed as cheap renewable energy solution Rhubarb being used for batteries.

I don't really understand it but it seems like a much better solution then rare earth mineral batteries. I do know that battery technology must improve dramatically if we are to continue using electricity.

Hemp is a good answer, in my opinion, to a number of declining resource problems - Paper, fabric, oil, now battery materials. The only problem is chemical companies don't like it cause it doesn't require mass doses of pesticides and herbicides - but I'm certain the GMO industry will engineer a variety that requires lots of toxic input and ruin the whole thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I wonder how would people use that on a a daily basis though.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

I don't really understand it but it seems like a much better solution then rare earth mineral batteries. I do know that battery technology must improve dramatically if we are to continue using electricity.

Hemp is a good answer, in my opinion, to a number of declining resource problems - Paper, fabric, oil, now battery materials. The only problem is chemical companies don't like it cause it doesn't require mass doses of pesticides and herbicides - but I'm certain the GMO industry will engineer a variety that requires lots of toxic input and ruin the whole thing.

Monsanto already wants to create a strain of cannabis & have a patent on it.

I have a feeling it will not be as great medicinally as traditional cannabis & may even have health problems occur. "Smoke some cannabis to make yourself better but it's going to mess with your RNA & DNA in the processes. "
edit on 15-8-2014 by knoledgeispower because: added more

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

If that's the case I'm sure there are other weeds out there that are just as if not more effective than hemp...people are just not looking in different directions or they choose not to....

What insight and scientific and historical knowledge, and experience with botany, makes YOU so sure there are just as effective if not more effective alternatives to hemp for this purpose???

Historically, people have looked in all directions for plants that can be used for fiber, oil, food, medicine...hemp has proven to be a very versatile plant with a history dating back thousands of years. But, you propose to throw away all the accumulated knowledge and try again, and for what reason?

The people that choose NOT to look in one direction for an obvious solution, but rather say "I dunno about that, but I am sure about that, because I think that, without any evidence whatsoever" are biased and being ignorant of the facts already established over thousands of years of use by peoples all over Earth...and no, none of that history until the early 1900's has anything to do with stoners and legal bans on psychoactive substances.

Henry Ford proposed a fully-recyclable automobile with panels made of hemp, using hemp lubricant for oil and fuel, that would have established a fully self-sustainable economy of transportation. Until the early 1900's hemp was preferred for clothing, ropes, oils, and yes...medicines as well.

Then Dupont came along....and the Rockefellers came along....and the hemp industry had to be destroyed by misinformation and propoganda, so their fledgling businesses could sell their petroleum products and synthetic chemicals at a price advantage to the much cheaper and more plentiful hemp that could be produced by everyone.

'Reefer Madness' and the resulting draconian legal state against abuse of the psychoactive species of this plant doomed the entire genus to illegality, and our society pays for it.

I suggest your response is a product of the brainwashing of generations; and that until this is turned around, more will continue to respond with your attitude that 'there must be something else, not because I know anything about it, but because I have been brainwashed to oppose it' reply to anything innovative that comes from development of yet another application to put on the list of things this particular plant species can do for humanity.

WAKE UP and smell the hemp! It's not all about getting high, DUDE!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: FlySolo

Because of the stigma behind Hemp...if ragweed had similar benefits who would complain? Other than those allergic to it...leave them no room for excuses..

Now, ask a question about your response, and see if you can come up with a rational answer that is not based on misinformation and propaganda...

Why is there a bias and stigma against hemp?

And I ask another question:
Is that bias and stigma justified for an entire genus of plant species that has been used for millenia???

Let's see if your answers flush out some bias and more stigma, and misinformation, or some research and critical thinking.
I suspect the former most unfortunately.

My suggestion is to address the bias and stigma, and promote the good uses of this plant, and recognize that an entire genus of one of the most useful plants has been removed from our use, to the detriment of our economies, and our enviroment, for the profits of a few....and all this done easily by taking one of the sub-species of this genus and deemonizing it to the point where the low-information citizen automatically responds with "can't do that, that promotes evil weed" whenever another potentially game-changing innovation is discovered using the plant.

Use of this plant for fuel and fiber, and now to replace toxic rare-earth mining and toxic products produced from such - is opposed because of some stigma that "reefer Madness' will overtake our youth???

Once again....
WAKE UP and smell the hemp - it can save the world...and you don't have to get high to do that do you?

edit on 15-8-2014 by lakesidepark because: added more comment

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

yes!!!! And more efficient then Graphene!!!!

"ooooh!!! ooohh! I know it's hidden in the tires?" Rookie Police Officer
"Nooooo, Charlie the van IS the shipment!!! It's the new thing on the street, it's called Fiberweed!!!" Office Stedenko

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join