It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Fatally Shoot Man in South L.A.; Family Members Say He Was Lying Down When Shot

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: defcon5

And you think this is ok? Because I think that's called a police state

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer
I think that it doesn't matter what you or I think. Its based on laws that our majority elected officials enacted. If you don't like the laws, then the same as any US citizen, you have to right to elect new officials, run for office yourself, or lobby in laws that are to your liking.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I keep seeing news on American cops shooting people instead of trying to use another method instead.
Now I have never met an American cop, and I know not all cops are like this, but aren't they a little too jumpy and aggressive?

I mean, just an example:
I was in London a couple of years ago, and stopped a police officer to ask him for directions.
We actually got into a nice chat talking about weather, what to eat and similarities and differences between England and Canada. I really appreciated his help.
I also saw most cops there walking around , they seemed calm, relaxed, not threatening. Even their uniform is mild compared to an American cop's uniform.

What is wrong with some of these American cops we keep reading news reports about shooting people in America, when there was no need for it?

I have to say, I walked up to the Bobby for directions in London, but if I ever went to U.S.A. I don't think I'd walk up to a cop there.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
If, as stated in the article, the police knew of this kids mental illness, that tells me that he has had plenty of other run-ins with LEO's around the town. That would suggest a history of criminal activity in which the officers are able to do an investigative stop. Can't way whether he deserved to die or not, but if the kid was consistently getting into altercations and escalating them, then it was only a matter of time before this happened anyways.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue
Most cops here are just like this as well most of the time.
These situations normally seem to result from someone resisting arrest to some extent, and of course all the police haters jump on the band wagon. Some of it is the cops being intolerant, inflaming situations, having ego issues, etc... But I would have to say that much of it is also the people that the police deal with trying to play the aggrieved victim (and now have places like youtube to air their grievances), some of it is people being less tolerant in general, some are suicide by cop, while others are folks who believe all this stuff from the internet and inflame the situation themselves.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: defcon5
These situations normally seem to result from someone resisting arrest to some extent, and of course all the police haters jump on the band wagon. Some of it is the cops being intolerant, inflaming situations, having ego issues, etc... But I would have to say that much of it is also the people that the police deal with trying to play the aggrieved victim (and now have places like youtube to air their grievances), some of it is people being less tolerant in general, some are suicide by cop, while others are folks who believe all this stuff from the internet and inflame the situation themselves.

Thank you for the explanation.
I guess it's harder for some of us non Americans to wrap our heads around the situation there.

Good grief!
People should really stop resisting arrest, they are just harming themselves.

Though in this case,I'm not so sure.
I'm reading the person could have had a mental illness.

Anyways, thanks again Defcon.

edit on 13/8/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: spelling

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue

originally posted by: defcon5

Thank you for the explanation.
I guess it's harder for some of us non Americans to wrap our heads around the situation there.

Good grief!
People should really stop resisting arrest, they are just harming themselves.

Though in this case,I'm not so sure.
I'm reading the person could have a mental illness.

Anyways, thanks again Defcon.

From the story in the source, he did have a mental illness. Mental illness is what many who commit crimes have. Like I said in my previous post, if he did have a mental illness and it was indeed known by the LEO's, then he has had many prior contact with LEO's. There is a lot more to this story, but media always spins the victim into looking like a saint so I am sure we will never hear of his prior engagements with the LAPD. Criminals often "up their game" when it comes to crime. While this was an investigative stop, the cops would be completely within their rights to do so if this kid was known to them and had a history of altercations which the story implies he had.
edit on 8/13/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8

The quote you post... who the heck wrote that? The word is where, not were. I find it hard to believe that a journalist or anyone with any education would get the words confused, let alone commit the same mistake twice in a row.

Personally, I am sick and tired of the same crap over and over. There are animals involved, that is for certain. Same thing in St. Louis... animals.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The article does not say he had a mental illness, it stated the relatives said something along those lines.

Was his "illness" diagnosed by a professional or was it the opinion of the relatives?

If the guy had a mental illness that would result in violent behavior, then why was he not being taken care of by the relatives, at the very least, instead of out on the streets?

Every officer in this area, from the Newton Division, knows that — that this child has mental problems,” the man said. (the man claimed to be the victim's cousin)

Child? He was 25... or 24, depending on which relative you believe. Another attempt to sensationalize through misinformation.
edit on 13-8-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Reasonable suspicion is the threshold to make contact via traffic stop, not PC. PC is need to make the arrest. The court is where the legality is argued.

edit on 13-8-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think that what we all want to see, and should be shown, is the video tape that the officers should have on their vehicle, and all video's of this, to make a determination what the truth was. Even the family members are at odds with some details about this person, and so such is needed.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Just another day and another police killing its citizens. This happens way to much and people who never had to deal with police brutality wonder why people are starting to lose it.

Just another day and another misinformed person rushing to judgement. This and the St. Louis thing are two completely different incidents, with different circumstances, that happened a thousand miles apart.

You try to draw connections between the two incidents that have nothing to do with one another.

What you fail to realize is that these are local stories that are sensationalized by the victim industry and the media.

The badge and costume err uniform does not give you more rights or a higher status then we the people but can tell from there actions.

Yes, it does. It gives police the right to stop, arrest and use force on people who resist that arrest. And many things can occur, if a person resists that arrest, which can lead to their death.

They always throw in the gang thing also as states not sure if he was involved in a gang.

Gangs? In Los Angeles? No way! Who ever heard of gangs in Los Angeles of all places?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

So resisting arrest constitutes being shot? Omg he got a scrape and so he killed a man and you condone this?

That's not what he/she said.

If a person resists arrest and in their resistance he or she takes action that the officer perceives as life threatening (i.e. trying to grab the officer's weapon), he or she may be shot by the officer.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

What ever happened to NON LETHAL ways of apprehending perps. Why have and buy tazers ect if they NEVER use them.

I love this argument. Police use tazers all the time and people STILL complain that they used a tazer. This is a clear case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Deadly force was supposed to be a LAST resort not the first.

And how do you know it wasn't in this incident? Were you there? Do you have some knowledge that the rest of us do not? The facts are still being investigated.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

It says in the post the cop had minor scrapes???

If there was a scuffle and the guy was trying to take the officer's gun, the officer could only have minor scrapes but the situation would still have justified shooting the individual.

It is speculation because the investigation is not complete but if you can speculate we can too.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Go along quietly like a good boy and then maybe you won't get killed

The fact that you can't see why resisting arrest is a bad idea really speaks to how backwards your thinking is.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This could get very ugly.

Protest planned after LAPD officer shoots, kills man during struggle

A protest is being planned for Sunday in front of Los Angeles police headquarters in downtown after a man was shot and killed by an officer this week in Florence..

link

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

Yep! I need a new 70" flat screen! Time to riot and loot in the name of Justice!!!

Notice that this crap does not happen in Texas.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrLimpet
This could get very ugly.

Protest planned after LAPD officer shoots, kills man during struggle

A protest is being planned for Sunday in front of Los Angeles police headquarters in downtown after a man was shot and killed by an officer this week in Florence..

link

If there are more police shootings similar to this that pop up in other cities, I am going to seriously think that there is a conspiracy afoot.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: areyouserious2010

Go along quietly like a good boy and then maybe you won't get killed

The fact that you can't see why resisting arrest is a bad idea really speaks to how backwards your thinking is.

No my friend if he felt like his life or anything was in danger then he has the right to resist in my thinking and as it turned out his life was ended

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join