It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Favorite Way to Cook a Steak?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I like to start off with a couple of at least choice, if not prime cuts of 2 inch thick NY Strip. I set them out to reach room temp and give them a generous coating of kosher salt.

After about 30 minutes, I turn the oven on broil, full temp and place a heavy cast iron skillet in the oven to heat up.

After 20 more minutes I figure the steaks are about room temp and brush most of what is left of the salt off the steaks. I can see that they have undergone some changes as the texture appears to be looser.

I take the skillet out and pour a couple tablespoons of oil in and follow that up immediately with the steaks. I let them sizzle for 3 or 4 minutes to let them get a nice char and add freshly cracked pepper and then flip them over. I pepper the side up and let them sizzle for another couple of minutes and then pop them in the oven directly under the heat as close as possible.

After another 3 or 4 minutes I will pull and test for doneness. I and the wife prefer medium rare tilting a bit towards medium. Normally by this time we are there.

Done this way your steaks (particularly if you go prime) will taste just as good as a fine restaurant steak.

Interested in learning how y'all do it! I am always up for learning a new technique!
edit on 11-8-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677
Fire.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Charcoal grill and hardwood slivers right as you put the steak on. They add some flame and smoke. Steak temp doesn't seem to matter. in fact read the link below.

Check this out:
Frozen is better

V

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I put my NY strip on a broiler pan and broil each side for about 5-7 mins. I mix ranch and hot sauce for a steak sauce. It's awesome

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I like to get a few nice rib eyes. BBQ, or pan fry them until they are about half way done (a little bit before rare). Then i put the steaks in the oven with the broiler on high. Cover the steaks with good crumbled blue cheese and some black pepper, then broil them until the cheese is nice and melty.

The steak turns out medium rare and the blue cheese is amazing!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Hand-cut ribeyes.

Marinate in olive oil. Rub with pepper and salt.

Broil on high just a few minutes on each side (to taste).

I prefer mine rare.

This could become my favorite thread!
edit on 11-8-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2014 by beezzer because: spelling is bad today!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I've marinated my steaks in olive oil, italian seasoning and garlic salt. I coat the steak in a ziplock bag and let it set in the refrigerator over night. Than broil or cook on a grill sprinkled with fresh parsley.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Blue cheese! mmmmm

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

I read that a few days ago...I do not agree. It seems like the steak would turn out rare in the center, or over cooked on the outside if you cooked it long enough to get the center up to medium rare (for me).

On the other hand, I have never tried it that way.....but I am not going to risky prime beef that way. Maybe choice as an experiment.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: okamitengu

If you mean wood fire-grilled, I do that occasionally, but frankly, I find I have greater control over the cooking process and get better results with the skillet and broil method.

Not to mention that 100+ degree days here in Dallas makes me loathe to fire up the grill.

Now...if we were talking about a good brisket, or pork shoulder, smoked then heck yeah!

Although, I have to admit to a certain attraction to the primitive approach: outdoors, wood, fire, meat....deliciousness.

edit on 11-8-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Also, a couple of times I have applied a light rub of espresso grind coffee before cooking...was outstanding as well!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Fire up the gas BBQ, high heat, with montreal steak spice on it till meduim rare.

Cut chives and garlic and slowly cook in tons of butter.

When the steak is done, cover steak and whatever is on the plate with garlic butter heaven.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

No oil on the meat. heavy spinkle with fresh cracked pepper and (Important) Kosher Salt.
#1 Take steaks from fridge and let rise to room temp 45 min. to 1 hour, depending on thickness.
#2 Cast Iron skillet, light coating of any oil with a high smoke rate. Canola is good enough, this raises the skillet temp nice and high.
#3 On a very hot skillet sear the steak on both sides about 3 minutes each. This locks in the flavor.
#4 Remove skillet from the heat source and place in preheated oven at 400° for 3 to 6 minutes depending on the required doneness. Rare 3 minutes, 4 to 6 medium, anymore and you have ruined the cut. lol
#5 Let rest 5 minutes for the juice to flow back into the meat. (Optional garlic butter tab)
#6 A glass of Merlot, then chase mama around the house for dessert.

Steps 1 through 5 are Ruth Chris cooking directions, and the wife will have them no other way. Very tasty and the steaks are good to.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I have two ways that I typically use, both start with a 3" thick porterhouse.

First method is to rub the steak with some good olive oil then liberally coat with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Then chop up fresh rosemary, thyme and sage and apply to both sides. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 3 days.

Bring to room temperature and grill until rare. Remove it from the grill and tent until the juices redistribute. I like to serve with a bit of 25 year old balsamic.

Second way is to season with salt and pepper and let come to room temperature. Get a heavy cast iron skillet smoking hot while preheating oven to highest temp. Place steak in the skillet with a couple of tablespoons of canola oil and immediately move to oven and set to broil with rack at medium height.

Cook until rare and then remove and tent steak. I then add fresh thyme and both halves of a sliced lemon (cut side down) to the pan. Allow to sear slightly then I whisk in some butter and use this as a dressing.

Serve both with your best red wine.

edit on 11-8-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have yet been able to cook a great steak, not sure if it's me or the cuts I'm buying but I never buy the cheap cuts and I don't get steak often...

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
Also, a couple of times I have applied a light rub of espresso grind coffee before cooking...was outstanding as well!

My wife does that for lamb.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

How does she prepare rabbit?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

After tenderizing, I marinate the steak(s) in a mixture of vegetable oil, crushed garlic, soy sauce and sometimes fresh squeezed pineapple juice. After about an hour, I preheat the gas grill then put on the steaks. The key for me is constantly brushing each side of the steak with a few drops of plain water. I've found that doing this prevents them from becoming tough or dry. I tend to enjoy my steak charred around the edges.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: beezzer

How does she prepare rabbit?

I thought rabbit wasn't kosher?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
I thought rabbit wasn't kosher?

It is both kosher and delicious.