It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Favorite Way to Cook a Steak?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: beezzer
My wife does that for lamb.

How does she prepare rabbit?

Marinates with single malt.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Marinates with single malt.

Possibly the best recipe I have ever heard.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Alton Brown's "perfect steak". Only way to go....

www.foodnetwork.com...

I use butter rather then canola oil as outlined in his book "Good Eats".
edit on 11-8-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I have aged, grassfed beef steaks. The T-bones, Porterhouse, and rib steaks get cooked on the grill. Same with the flanks. A little salt and pepper, and a bit of garlic salt is all you need.

The steaks need to be up to room temperature before tossing them on the grill. Just as the OP was saying. They are more tender that way. Our beef is usually hung for about three weeks so it is tender even though it is grassfed limousin. Natural aging adds a lot of flavor to the beef and it also helps it freeze better when buying a half a cow. Some people do not like the aged taste, but we do.

I like the taste of beef finished on barley too. It has a nice flavor. But the farmer I get my cow from now only has grassfed now. That is great meat though, just a little different taste than the barley finished. It also needs about three more days of aging to tenderize the meat.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

225 for a few hours wrapped in foil and then seared on both sides on the stove.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I like to use propane and propane accessories.
But in all seriousness, I really do use a propane grill set to a med high heat. I really don't have a specific rub or spices I use because I like to try different seasonings each time I grill.

The best way I like to cook a steak though is that I've a fire pit dug out back that I line the bottom of w/ charcoal and on top of that I put either some hickory,pecan or apple wood chips that I soak in a little water first(to prevent burning to quickly and it helps with the smoke). I built steps into the side of the pit so I can use a rack system so the food isn't sitting directly on the fire itself.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Yes well keep steak whole (do not separate from live carcass) maintain at animal's normal body temperature (surround preparation area with straw insulation) check at intervals that steak has healthy glow and listen for reaffirming sounds that steak is tenderising and their is a normal blood flow within the muscle tissue) check for a pulse (do not use your thumb to do this. Also do not stick your thumb in any of the orifices.

Reach for some tempeh during the preparation period and chew your cud. This cud has all essential amino acids and further more tempeh does not produce phyto-eastrogens or any other gay-making stimulants.

Release beast from barn-oven in morning to graze in the sunshine rake out hay and waste products and pile up to make a Berkeley compost heap. Use finished product as seed raising mixture for alfalfa. That way you won't come down with the aftosa.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
get the steak hammer out and tenderise it(this is very important for a perfect steak).
butter and black pepper corns mixed together in a bowl
spread on the steaks and into a hot pan
serve with egg n chips ,make sure yolks not broken

oven cook for 40 mins makes a nice change every now and then with some roast potatoes

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Place steak in pan. Flip. Done.

I like it rare.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Place steak in pan. Flip. Done.

I like it rare.

LOL That was my Grandma's method! She loved it raw...I think she used to say something like: "cook it just until the moo is gone"

Thanks

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I also prefer a new york,sometime I go for t-bone or rib eye (which an ats user turned me on to)
I like to marinate it in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar in a ziplock bag.

I have an indoor grill so thats what I use.
I cook it on low heat and take my time....sometimes an hour on very low heat.

It comes off the grill with some red in the middle and just the way I like it.
Toss some butter on it and let it rest.

I usually dont eat such a great steak as a meal....I like to take an hour to eat it while surfing the net...a piece here and savor it and than a piece fifteen minutes later type of thing.
Its a delicacy...not a meal,its like my candy.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I gotcha! Regarding cooking method though, I prefer the fast cook char/seal in juices/smack my lips method lol.

Although, I have read so many different styles here it seems obvious that there is more than one way to skin a cat...I mean, cook a steak

lol

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
Although, I have read so many different styles here it seems obvious that there is more than one way to skin a cat...

Those I prefer sous vide. Keeps the meat tender.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Thanks everyone for your wonderful inputs! I had no idea that there were so many different ways to produce a good steak! Obviously we all have opinions, but I am pretty sure that if you didn't like your steak you wouldn't cook it that way.

Therefore, there are a multitude of ways to cook a steak and have a tasty experience as a result!

Thank you all!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I agree,seer both sides fast and the flavor and juices stay in.
Some after that would broil it,in my case I slow grill it without the seer.
I love cooking.

Nice thread.
edit on 12-8-2014 by DrumsRfun because: because I am a steak eating reptilian

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Cooking a steak in an oven is heresy.

Open fire. Preferrably not propane. Charcoal is fine, throw in some mesquite and you are really doing it right.

You got the part about bringing to room temp correct...but ribeye or beef tenderloin steak with only salt and pepper. 1.5" is ideal, 2" will work if you like more 'black and blue" preparation. Meat right on top of the coals. The idea is to sear/carmelize the outside while leaving the inside rare.

I like some gorgonzola sprinkled over the top typically. Or maybe make a bacon and gorgonzola sauce, if im feeling fancy.

Of course, its all personal taste. so make it however you want.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I hear ya! The primitive part of me loves the fire!

The cheffy part of me loves the control I get using a cast iron skillet and broiler. I use the salt cure method for both outdoor and indoor.

Taste wise: I have to say that I slightly prefer the fire when everything does come together. I prefer the skillet/broiler method for day in day out yumminess because I can cook a steak that is as good as any steak house any day.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What's this "pan" heresy? You've go to go full-on Eisenhower.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
Taste wise: I have to say that I slightly prefer the fire when everything does come together. I prefer the skillet/broiler method for day in day out yumminess because I can cook a steak that is as good as any steak house any day.

I agree. When we redid the kitchen one of the requirements was that the Easy Bake oven the house came with was out and that I could get a industrial grade oven and range. The temps are higher, the cooking is more even and I can make pretty much everything I made when I was in the business but at home. Short of having a salamander this was the best option to replicate restaurant style/quality dishes.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
What's this "pan" heresy? You've go to go full-on Eisenhower.

I have to admit, I have not tried that method (direct on coals) but it is intriguing!! We are due 100 or 100+ temps over the next 9 out of 10 days, so forget me trying it soon lol. Maybe once fall hits and cooler temps begin to prevail....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join