It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Pro-Russian separatists put army on alert (Moldova)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Report: Pro-Russian separatists put army on alert

CHISINAU, Moldova (AP) — Pro-Russian separatists in a breakaway region of Moldova have put their army on alert, claiming they fear military action from neighboring Ukraine and Moldova, a local news agency reported Thursday.

The Tiras news agency said that separatists in Trans-Dniester expected military activity starting from Aug. 26, the day before Moldova's independence day, but provided no details. Moldovan authorities accused separatists of trying to escalate tensions.

Trans-Dniester, a narrow strip of land squeezed between Ukraine and Moldova, is a tiny product of the fracturing of post-Soviet Europe. Russia stationed troops in Moldova in 1990, fearing that Moldova might try to reunite with Romania. The war that broke out in 1992, after Moldova declared its independence from the Soviet Union, left hundreds dead.

Recently, tensions rose after Moldova's pro-European government signed an association agreement with the European Union. Russia retaliated last week by banning Moldovan fruit and some vegetables, an economic blow to the poor, largely agricultural nation of 4 million.

Russia has hinted that 300,000 Moldovan workers in Russia may no longer be welcome, a worrying prospect for a country which gets 30 percent of its GDP from money sent home by people working abroad.

Click link for remainder of article...

This is becoming ridiculous... Moldova says they arent moving, the rebels are accusing them of preparing to attack. Its interesting that this came up now. There are Russian soldiers illegally occupying the breakaway province so any military action would most likely result in engaging Russian forces as well.

Think Moldova will do this or do we think its part of a last ditch effort to raise tensions in the region with Russia.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Think Moldova will do this or do we think its part of a last ditch effort to raise tensions in the region with Russia.

I think the west is the bigger fool for incessantly raising tensions with Russia.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I wish they would knock it off with the term "Pro-Russian separatists". It's time to come out of the closet and just call them Russians already, sheesh.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The Romanian guy already talked about lots of unusual fly activity over there :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Xcathdra

I think the west is the bigger fool for incessantly raising tensions with Russia.

By raising tensions with Russia do you mean helping Ukraine determine it's own future? And supporting Ukraine in its struggle restoring its own national integrity after Russian interference and an illegal annexation?

I suppose 60yrs ago you would have also said the British, French, etc are also raising tensions with Nazi Germany for annexing Austria, after all both Germany and Austria are brothers and close friends and it has nothing to do with France and great Briton...?

Tell me the difference please

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
As the Russian backed rebels in Ukraine are collapsing it would be handy for Russia to take the sting out of revealing that to the Russian people with a crisis some place esle so they can just not mention the Ukraine rebels again. If not Moldova the can stir up trouble in Georgia again. It has to suck to be one of Russia neighbors.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
I wish they would knock it off with the term "Pro-Russian separatists". It's time to come out of the closet and just call them Russians already, sheesh.

Well.. How else can a couple of towns in Ukraine take on the entire Ukrainian army ?

Of course the majority of weapons and man power is coming form Russia, it's a messy divorce and Russia wants so e spoils for Ukraine's decision to want closer ties with the west like other Eastern block country's before her

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Even if all this will make good historical movies later, I'm starting to really dislike this. I mean, where will be the paroxisme? This is not enough? Why add another country. Which country will enter in the conflicts next?
edit on 7-8-2014 by Spationaute because: grammar

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

By raising tensions with Russia do you mean helping Ukraine determine it's own future? And supporting Ukraine in its struggle restoring its own national integrity after Russian interference and an illegal annexation?

Balderdash, Russia hasn't done anything. I'll bet that just burns you up.

Where is the Humanitarian plea for what the tire burners have been doing to the innocent people in Eastern Ukraine?

Amoral sentiments on your part.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Here's a geopolitical analysis by George Friedman (Stratfor). Stratfor on Moldova

He predicted years ago that after certain steps were taken in Ukraine, Moldova would be next on the chessboard.
Needless to say, he has been far more pessimistic about the resurgence of the Russian Empire than the White House has been, but he can give you sound geopolitical and historical reasons. He has written a book on the subject years ago.

Russia has just banned imports from EU countries, raising the ante further.
This is a far bigger problem than many people here realize.

top topics

join