It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humvee RPG shield

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
He didnt say it was under the stryker he said it was on the side of it and it did roll the stryker a few times.

[edit on 6-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Provided those vehicles are going to be equipped with some sort of incoming missiles detecting radar, maybe it would make sense to make the slates extensable / retractable on demand toward the direction of the incoming missile in attempt to increase the stand-off distance, while at the same time allowing the vehicle to maneuver through narrow passages.

Instead of high tech radar, what about having some good old fashioned claymore mines put along the skirts of the slating armor, wich would project a downward shower of projectiles if triggered by incoming missiles shortcircuiting part of the slating matrix? Naturally these could be directed outward as well in case of several groups of enemy infantery closing in from all sides....

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Provided those vehicles are going to be equipped with some sort of incoming missiles detecting radar, maybe it would make sense to make the slates extensable / retractable on demand toward the direction of the incoming missile in attempt to increase the stand-off distance, while at the same time allowing the vehicle to maneuver through narrow passages.

Instead of high tech radar, what about having some good old fashioned claymore mines put along the skirts of the slating armor, wich would project a downward shower of projectiles if triggered by incoming missiles shortcircuiting part of the slating matrix? Naturally these could be directed outward as well in case of several groups of enemy infantery closing in from all sides....

If they do that the enemy would shoot at them when there going through narrow passages.

and the second thing you are talking about sounds like reactive armor, its fairly succesfull.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I dont think reactive armor is a good idea to have on a vehicle in an urban environment. In Iraq we are always in and out of vehicles(not to mention innocent bystanders everywhere). Most of the time if we get hit we get out and secure the area. This leaves guys near vehicles. Now, obviously the bad guys like to shoot at us so that will be bad enough. We dont need a directed explosion coming back at us from our source of cover. Stcuk between a rock and a hard place.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Most of the deaths in Iraq come from 2 things, IED's referred to as a road side bomb which are becoming easier to detect, and the other is the RPG, which seems to the weapon of choise for the enemy. The RPG is a hard weapon to counter, because all they need is a lucky shot off and it can rip threw an up-armored Humvee. But in a few years our Humvee's could have an RPG shield, basically they shoot a rocket propelled grenade at it and the sensors on the humvee pick it up and shoot at it, not with a bullet but what I would call a directional air-burst grenade, so the fragment pieces would hit the rpg before it hits the vehicle

In another few years, Hummers' roofs could be covered with a dozen tubes, each filled with a foot-long mini-rocket called the FCLAS -- short for Full Spectrum Active Protection Close-In Shield.

Every FCLAS would have a pair of radio-frequency sensors inside. One in the nose would detect incoming RPGs and fire off a counterstrike. A second sensor, in the rocket's side, would go off when the RPG comes within range. The FCLAS would then detonate, letting loose a hail of explosive fragments, destroying the grenade in the process. The whole attack and response would take no more than a few seconds.

RPG Shield

I dunno if thats a good RPG defense... the defense lets out a shrapnel or "fragment" to hit the RPG which would also hit surrounding soldiers and when the shrapnel hits the RPG, more shrapnel would be dispersed right? Maybe I'm wrong.. i dunno. But what about THEL, couldn't that be used to shoot RPG's down. They do shoot down missiles. Couldn't this work or no?

www.spacedaily.com...

Or maybe they could use Flares. RPG's are heat seekers right also? If u launched a flare away from a humvee, wouldn't the RPG follow it? sorry for all the questions, but i want our troops to be safe so i'm lookin at all possible defenses. Thanks for the help!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The THEL might work if they could ever get it small enough to fit in even a APC. They managed to put one in a 747 so far still a long way to go, but computers used to take up whole rooms and now they sit on our desk tops.

They have hit mortar rounds in mid air with the THELS so I would imagine it could hit a RPG. Like somebody eles said it wont take much to set a RPG off.

Flares wont work though RPGs are line of site weapons no heat seeking in them they are quite a simple and cheap design.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
The THEL might work if they could ever get it small enough to fit in even a APC. They managed to put one in a 747 so far still a long way to go, but computers used to take up whole rooms and now they sit on our desk tops.

They have hit mortar rounds in mid air with the THELS so I would imagine it could hit a RPG. Like somebody eles said it wont take much to set a RPG off.

Flares wont work though RPGs are line of site weapons no heat seeking in them they are quite a simple and cheap design.

O ok, thanks bro. I'm just trying to figure how a defense for our troops! I hope they come out with something alittle more effective and safe for our boys in uniform.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The russians have several AFV defence systems for sale to anyone with the cash. Some are active like this one. The slat armour would be useless on a soft skinned humvee because the jet of molten metal/ gasses is still moving forward and will only be stopped by something substantial. An uparmoured humvee with slat armour might work but you have to look at practicality like opening the door to get in and out. I wouldn't want to be a hummer that had active anti projectile system, but if you get to live...The real answer of course is to use the correct vehicle for the job. The hummer wasn't built as an armoured mine safe vehicle, it was built as a jeep replacment. What is the right vehicle for the job? I'm not there so I don't know, probably a combination of vehicles depending on the mission. If I'm on a route recce or patrol over long distances I want wheels, mine protection and weapons good for long range work. In a built up area you want tracks for maneuverability, heavy armour for surviving ambushes and powerful close in weapons.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Wouldn't getting rid of the flat surfaces help as they absorb more of the blast where as a slanted surface would do more to deflect most blasts power?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
He didnt say it was under the stryker he said it was on the side of it and it did roll the stryker a few times.

www.webmutants.com...

Theres a pic of the stryker that got hit with a 500lb roadside bomb. Apparently the vehicle was doing 60km/h when it got hit. It flipped 1 and a half times and skidded 30 feet. Crew survived w/o injuries and the stryker when flipped upright was able to move under its own power.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Xander
Theres a pic of the stryker that got hit with a 500lb roadside bomb. Apparently the vehicle was doing 60km/h when it got hit. It flipped 1 and a half times and skidded 30 feet. Crew survived w/o injuries and the stryker when flipped upright was able to move under its own power.

wow...impressive.

BTW...your link doesn't work.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
damn, here try this one www.strategypage.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Slat armor doesnt work. Slat armor has been used since the first world wars.

There are other anti tank weapons other then RPG's. Armor piercing artillery and direct fire anti tank "bullets". Slat armor isnt going to stop these.

The best thing if to have a superior ballistic defense system with ballistic detection systems. "stopping a bullet with a bullet". Ballistic system is superior at defeating rocket/missile attacks if anything.

But why do you need armor or defense when you have missiles, bombs and long range artillery? That is war in my opinion, not playing hero with your life at the enemies front door.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
lol. what if you have troops around your hummer? it shoots out a rocket that bursts into shrapnel to destroy the RPG but you still have men out there, the shrapnel would tear them to peices. lol. they better come up with a better idea. and they shouldnt call it a shield, its more like a counter measure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join