It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
Well from my experience with people who smoke they generally want to just rip a bong and chill out for a few hours or an evening and sleep. Their intentions aren't driving for a while. And people who I know that do drive while somewhat high can do it perfectly fine.

People associate alcohol and smoking weed with negative consequences because that's what has been shoved down peoples throats and into society so much, we are given WORST case scenarios.
Fact of the matter is, this isn't true at all. Obviously if someone is completely baked out of their mind to the point of almost greening out, or completely wasted from drinking alcohol there will be issues, but only a small fraction of people who use these substances get to that point and want to drive (due to poor decisions), the rest just want to smoke some weed or have a few beers, would you honestly think those people can't operate a vehicle?

If you look at all stats for car collisions majority of them are due to sober acts of poor judgement, road rage, or some other form of stupidity, rarely is it an actual accident. And to be honest, I just think it's a coincidence that these stats fit with the current legalization, which further supports that smoking weed doesn't bring upon car pile ups.

I've been smoking pot every day of my life, pretty much all day since before I could drive. I've never been in an accident and I haven't even gotten pulled over in 5 years now... I drive high pretty much everyday of my life and I put over 6k miles on my car a month, around 72,000 a year... almost every mile high, that's how much I smoke. 0 tickets in 360,000 miles in a cop town. 0 accidents in 12 years. I don't know any sober/straight arrow people who don't smoke or drink that have a better driving record.

For clarity, I've driven to the moon and half way back without incident. The moon is 238,900 miles from earth.

I'm 28 and I started driving at 16. Pot makes you focus on what you're doing, it also does NOT cause "Paranoia." I've never been paranoid about anything ever, even when I'm blitzed out of my mind. Paranoia is caused by the innate fear that you'll get caught doing something you're not supposed to... People who get paranoid aren't getting paranoid because of the substance, they are paranoid because they have a psychological fear of being busted doing something "taboo."

Stealing from K-Mart will induce the same paranoia in a would be thief... no drugs required.

10 blunts to the face and I can still drive, 4 shots of 99 proof and the keys are behind the bar...

There is ZERO impairment from pot, some people might get a little goofy... they might laugh a little more, but they are driving slower and more focused on any particular task at hand, not the other way around.

This is why Phelps lost that gold medal -- because they blamed pot for giving him an advantage by way of extra focus during competition... I guarantee it helped just by settling the nervous jitters alone. It's like impossible to be nervous high on pot, it just relaxes you to much...
edit on 8-8-2014 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Of course, traffic fatalities are at historic lows for *all* states, not just Colorado, so not sure how compelling this argument is.

Cool, got any statistics to support this assertion?

www.nhtsa.gov... eleases/NHTSA+Data+Confirms+Traffic+Fatalities+Increased+In+2012

While the newly released data announced today marks the first increase since 2005, highway deaths over the past five years continue to remain at historic lows. Fatalities in 2011 were at the lowest level since 1949 and even with this slight increase in 2012, we are still at the same level of fatalities as 1950. Early estimates on crash fatalities for the first half of 2013 indicate a decrease in deaths compared to the same timeframe in 2012.

But of course, there's nothing to suggest fatalities are soaring, as some predicted - just pointing out that fatalities are at or near "historic lows" everywhere, not just in states that legalized pot - so, while it sounds good, it's kinda meaningless in context.

Besides, do we really think no one smoked pot before legalization? If you look at the Dutch experience, they actually have far lower rates of marijuana use than in countries where it's illegal.

I think Dutch experiences are very relevant to this discussion - their motivation in legalization was to isolate those who wanted to buy pot from street dealers. Buying on the streets is inherently dangerous and not simply because you might get robbed, either by those pretending to be dealers, or those who prey on buyers, knowing they have money or weed.

No, street dealers have an interest in selling buyers harder drugs; more dangerous drugs, more profitable drugs, and especially, more addictive drugs. Keeping people away from those dealers was thought a good thing. And the counter-example is instructive as well. In one Dutch city, they decided to close the state-sanctioned coffee shops, because of "drug tourists" from Germany. They quickly saw a resurgence of street dealers, and an attendant rise in hard drugs and violence.

The notion that people should be free to choose to buy and use marijuana if they choose to do so is only a part of the argument - being able to buy it safely, away from dangerous people, and especially, away from people who are motivated to move them to harder and more dangerous and more profitable drugs (for them) is a compelling argument.

Marijuana is called a "gateway drug" because once you use it, you're more likely to move on to more dangerous drugs. But is that "causation?" Perhaps the cause has more to do with the people they buy marijuana from encouraging them to use harder drugs? At least, that's what the Netherlands believe.

Depriving cartels of cash is also of benefit.

So, rather than trying to parse out traffic deaths (itself a highly variable figure - accident rates overall might tell a more accurate story, anyway), what I'd look to see are what are the use rates of other and more dangerous drugs over time?

If you were to show that, over 5 years, say, that whatever the marijuana use rate is, that rates of use of drugs like meth, opioids, coc aine, etc, declined in Colorado or Washington since legalization, and/or were less than rates of use in states where marijuana is illegal, *that* would be compelling.

And that's my expectation, based on the Netherlands experience. That's the data *I'm* looking for, because potentially that's a game-changer.

edit on 8-8-2014 by squittles because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2014 by squittles because: Markup tag insanity

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Laykilla

Well from my experience with people who smoke they generally want to just rip a bong and chill out for a few hours or an evening and sleep. Their intentions aren't driving for a while. And people who I know that do drive while somewhat high can do it perfectly fine.

People associate alcohol and smoking weed with negative consequences because that's what has been shoved down peoples throats and into society so much, we are given WORST case scenarios.
Fact of the matter is, this isn't true at all. Obviously if someone is completely baked out of their mind to the point of almost greening out, or completely wasted from drinking alcohol there will be issues, but only a small fraction of people who use these substances get to that point and want to drive (due to poor decisions), the rest just want to smoke some weed or have a few beers, would you honestly think those people can't operate a vehicle?

If you look at all stats for car collisions majority of them are due to sober acts of poor judgement, road rage, or some other form of stupidity, rarely is it an actual accident. And to be honest, I just think it's a coincidence that these stats fit with the current legalization, which further supports that smoking weed doesn't bring upon car pile ups.

I've been smoking pot every day of my life, pretty much all day since before I could drive. I've never been in an accident and I haven't even gotten pulled over in 5 years now... I drive high pretty much everyday of my life and I put over 6k miles on my car a month, around 72,000 a year... almost every mile high, that's how much I smoke. 0 tickets in 360,000 miles in a cop town. 0 accidents in 12 years. I don't know any sober/straight arrow people who don't smoke or drink that have a better driving record.

For clarity, I've driven to the moon and half way back without incident. The moon is 238,900 miles from earth.

I'm 28 and I started driving at 16. Pot makes you focus on what you're doing, it also does NOT cause "Paranoia." I've never been paranoid about anything ever, even when I'm blitzed out of my mind. Paranoia is caused by the innate fear that you'll get caught doing something you're not supposed to... People who get paranoid aren't getting paranoid because of the substance, they are paranoid because they have a psychological fear of being busted doing something "taboo."

Stealing from K-Mart will induce the same paranoia in a would be thief... no drugs required.

10 blunts to the face and I can still drive, 4 shots of 99 proof and the keys are behind the bar...

There is ZERO impairment from pot, some people might get a little goofy... they might laugh a little more, but they are driving slower and more focused on any particular task at hand, not the other way around.

This is why Phelps lost that gold medal -- because they blamed pot for giving him an advantage by way of extra focus during competition... I guarantee it helped just by settling the nervous jitters alone. It's like impossible to be nervous high on pot, it just relaxes you to much...

Seems that pot has done its job with you. I dont know if I should feel sorry for the people around you, but then again they probity all think the same as you. If what you are writing is true then you need help.
edit on 8-8-2014 by imod02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: squittles

Thank you for those statistics. I appreciate it when people actually follow through with their claims and post sources backing it up.

As for the rest of the post. I agree 100%. You said NOTHING that I didn't already know and agree with. I understand that most of marijuana's "dangerous" rep comes from being forced to go to the black market that the GOVERNMENT created which then turned around and spit out the dangerous tag line "marijuana is a gateway drug". Though to be honest, if any drug is a gateway drug, it's alcohol.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure that Phelps wasn't high while he was actually swimming. Remember drug tests for pot will come up positive for 2 weeks to a month (or sometimes even greater than that) after use depending on frequency of use and that is just for urinalysis. Hair follicle tests can go out to 6 months after use. But drug tests are a whole other can of worms and frankly I think they should be illegal, it is no business of your employer to find out if you are doing drugs in your off time as long as you show up to work on time, do your job, and aren't intoxicated while there. And in cases where you drugs are interfering with your work then a simple cotton swab test will suffice (only good for about 24 hours after usage).
edit on 8-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: intrepid

I doubt that people that have recently smoked even want to drive. Food would be the #1 concern and nowadays everyone delivers.

Yes, but sometimes that Wendy's double stack is the only thing that helps the munchies, and sadly enough they won't deliver...I know I have tried on numerous occasions to get them to.

And if someone delivers they expect a tip and, well you just don't always have that tip money...less for other things.

Like drinks...

Who says you need to tip money?

edit on 8-8-2014 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: imod02
If you really want to wave the flag of prohibiton, I suggest you include some substance in your post.

Anecdotal accounts do not count for substance, but they do work both ways.
How many people know a person whose personal life, career, or repuation has been damaged by a marijuana possession charge? There are many such people who otherwise would never have seen the inside of a jail cell.

How many people here personally know someone who ruined his/her life with alcohol?

Let others make their own mistakes. You are only responsible for your own actions.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist
If you really want to wave the flag of prohibiton, I suggest you include some substance in your post.

How many people know a person whose personal life, career, or repuation has been damaged by a marijuana possession charge? There are many such people who otherwise would never have seen the inside of a jail cell.

How many people here personally know someone who ruined his/her life with alcohol?

Let others make their own mistakes. You are only responsible for your own actions.

I dont wave the flag of prohibiton, if pot is to be legalized then we have to find a way of doing it so we dont have a free for all that will only hurt everyone. Pot can very easy become a bigger problem than alcohol. People over the ages have proven than they cannot self moderate. So im open to ideas how it should be introduced with out it becoming a mess like alcohol is now.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: imod02

Seems that pot has done its job with you. I dont know if I should feel sorry for the people around you, but then again they probity all think the same as you. If what you are writing is true then you need help.

Laykilla, I am so on your level. Fantastic points all around.

Imod02, not so much. You have a terribly elitist viewpoint & your verbiage leads me to believe your pity stems from an arrogant ignorance of the plant, it's affects, how everyone's body reacts to & processes everything differently etc etc

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I dont wave the flag of prohibiton, if pot is to be legalized then we have to find a way of doing it so we dont have a free for all that will only hurt everyone. Pot can very easy become a bigger problem than alcohol. People over the ages have proven than they cannot self moderate. So im open to ideas how it should be introduced with out it becoming a mess like alcohol is now.

I must disagree that pot could ever become an issue like alcohol. Smoking weed doesn't lead to a continuous desire to smoke more weed, whereas alcohol consumption begets more alcohol consumption.

Even putting that aside, I challenge anyone to actually smoke 4 joints in a row. Not only will you be physically incapable of doing so, but you will never reach a point you feel truly "impaired".

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
I smoked a lot of pot as a teenager. The first two years of getting my driver license I caused 12 car accidents. I haven't caused an accident since I quit smoking at the age of 20. One accident I was sued for $50k.

These threads are nothing more then pro pot propaganda. Weed addicts will say anything to push their agenda for legalization.

Or maybe you were an irresponsible kid who drove around fast furious and wreckless.

Surely that couldn't be the case right? I've again, drove to the moon and halfway back high and still never crashed/caused a crash/been ticketed.

And I only eff with the bombest of the fire tree.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Help?

For what?

Marijuana isn't very much different from tobacco in terms of the "high" or "stimuli" to the brain. You saying this proves to me you haven't a clue what you're talking about. I'm educated, I'm not high right now, because I'm out -- and I'm not "fiending" for more like I do when I'm out of tobacco, and if we were talking face to face -- you wouldn't even know if I was high or not. I get more "high" from smoking a cigar than marijuana, but because I smoke pot means I need help?

You need to try smoking pot before you subscribe to the "It's highly addictive" -- you're a "drug addict" mindset. Drinking one beer straight to the face will impair you more than 20 blunts of the best product around.

Now, I smoke tobacco, and yeah man -- I NEED HELP to quit that, it's waaaaay too hard and it actually has negative physical effects to my body's physiology and it's ability to oxygenate my muscles, since the nicotine constricts my blood vessels.

You're damn right, I need help quitting tobacco. Not weed though -- I'm so sick of you "know it alls" that don't know anything because you have no experience, and all the data you gather that is negative comes from the propaganda mouth pieces that want to keep it illegal because it fills up jails and generates the state mondo revenue while making "convicts" dependent on social services.

The criminalization of pot was brought about by fear mongering videos and propaganda as a scam to make it's users indentured servants to the state.
edit on 8-8-2014 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I've never met someone who ruined their life because of marijuana. Possession laws, yeah, but because they were high?

It's never happened. I know over 10 people who've crashed their vehicle while driving under the influence of alcohol though -- and everyone seems to be okay with that though....

Marijuana only causes issues because of laws, it can also add tension to relationships where the other person is brainwashed into thinking that smoking a joint is like shooting heroine with needles.....

Not even remotely similar.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Laykilla
Getting high off a cigarette or cigar? Really? Damn, that would be nice, then I wouldn't think my dumbass addiction to smokes was a total waste lol.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

SOMETHING is causing this and odds are it is due to a substantial change in the environment to cause a substantial change in the statistics. Right now legalization is the only substantial change in the environment of Colorado that is worth noting. Anything else wouldn't be very noteworthy. So it may not be direct evidence of correlation, but it is certainly a very telling sign.

Quite correct...but even IF legalization is not behind the decrease in fatalities, there is the solid point to be made that it was predicted there would be an increase following legalization...there hasn't been one. So while opponents may argue that your data and source are not causal for marijuana lowering traffic fatalities, it can be esily seen that it has not increased them as predicted

great thread

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Whilst I agree with a lot of what's been said by the pro pot folks on here, I have a bit of an issue. (It may just be a UK thing)
When I smoked a bit on weekends (25 years ago) it was all resin or a bit of oil. Red, gold and black Leb. The stuff was then. It gave a mellow sort of high, nothing crazy, just like having a few beers.
After quitting the railway, and no longer being subject to testing, I got given a few buds of kush, the most common stuff in my area now. Home grown. First, it smells like sh1t, it makes you smell the same. It's utterly debilitating, seriously, dangerously strong stuff.

No wonder kids are showing signs of addiction such as aggressive behaviour, total listlessness etc on the come down.
I really do think that the old, milder stuff is indeed harmless, but this potent stuff is what does the damage, and I'm not surprised that people end up with mental issues.

You're better off with a bit of speed on the weekend IMO than this hydroponically grown super weed.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

That's a misnomer, increased potency only means there is more THC in the plant. If THC at 4-5% in a plant isn't harmful then THC at 8-11% won't be harmful either. Otherwise, the THC at 4-5% would have to be harmful as well, just not as much so. What you are seeing is probably people who are addicted to substances other than just marijuana. Marijuana doesn't come with a physical addiction. Sure you can develop a mental addiction if you do it enough. But those are extremely easy to break. Just takes a modicum of willpower to do it. That's not to say there isn't marijuana withdrawal (I didn't even know it exists until just a minute ago when I looked it up). But it's still overpowerable.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Marijuana doesn't come with a physical addiction. Sure you can develop a mental addiction if you do it enough. But those are extremely easy to break. Just takes a modicum of willpower to do it. That's not to say there isn't marijuana withdrawal (I didn't even know it exists until just a minute ago when I looked it up). But it's still overpowerable.

This may get removed by mods, but I'll say it anyways.

I consider myself a heavy smoker for the last...20 years or so. Never had any issues because of it. Still have excellent lung capacity, still have an extremely quick wit (I'm a sarcastic ass in real life), my memory is still perfectly in tact. Everyone's body reacts differently, especially someone who just smokes on weekends, or a new smoker. They are going to be more highly effected than a regular smoker. I've seen examples of it time and time again. Someone smoking for the first time and having a panic attack, thinking their heart has stopped beating, just things that are a result of heightened sensory response. This generally happens with individuals who don't know what to expect when they smoke for the first time.

I have quit smoking many times for various reasons (mainly jobs and legal issues) in fact I'm in one of those periods now. I'm clean so I can get a new, better job. But never once have I experienced anything beyond a craving to smoke. Everyone in my house smokes the good stinky stuff, I smell it every day, I even go and pick it up for them, and still nothing beyond a craving. Absolutely zero signs of any withdrawal, not even as slight as irritability. This is an extremely common experience, and while this thread is related to traffic implications, I believe that the complete lack of a withdrawal cycle speaks to no end about what the intake of marijuana is really doing to the human body.
edit on 8/11/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

No seriously, it exists. Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms: What You May Experience

Read some of the comments in that article from the readers. A lot of them are really angry for someone suggesting that marijuana withdrawal doesn't exist.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

a reply to: ChaosComplex

No seriously, it exists. Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms: What You May Experience

Read some of the comments in that article from the readers. A lot of them are really angry for someone suggesting that marijuana withdrawal doesn't exist.

depression, anxiety, insomnia, nausea, changes in appetite...

So pretty much the withdrawals are just going back to experiencing the discomforts you were treating with MJ, that's good stuff. Thanks for that link, I know a few people who could benefit from reading the material.

I don't doubt that some experience extremes of the listed symptoms, but I'm willing to bet there is some other underlying cause behind it. Just my uneducated opinion, though.

BTW, I guess there is one negative I'm experiencing from quitting. I'm naturally an insomniac, and MJ was my sleep aid of choice. Not big on eating pills of any kind. I don't consider this a withdrawal symptom, I consider it just reverting back to my 'normal' state of high energy and the inability to make my inner monologue shut the hell up when I'm trying to get to sleep hahahaha...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join