It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor Jesse "The Mind" Ventura wins defamation suit over Chris Kyle, awarded $1.8 million.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Jesse Ventura wins $1.8 million in defamation suit against 'American Sniper'.

A federal jury on Tuesday found in favor of former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura in the defamation case he brought against “deadliest sniper in US history.” The panel came to a decision after six days of deliberations.

Ventura sued the estate of former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle for disparaging him in Kyle’s book 'American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History.' Ventura says a passage of the book regarding a supposed fight between him and Kyle in 2006 has irreparably damaged his reputation.

The jury reconvened on Tuesday, and both sides agreed to split the verdict 8 to 2, the New York Times reported. The panel then awarded the former professional wrestler and governor $500,000 for defamation and $1.3 million for what they termed the author’s unjust enrichment.

During closing arguments last week, Ventura attorney David Bradley Olson said he believes Kyle’s estate has earned more than $6 million from the book...

I realize that a lot of people are upset that the Governor would sue the estate but in his defense, the suit began prior to Chris Kyle's demise.

I for one believe that Kyle did earn more money as a result of the lie that he KO'ed the Governor.

The Right wing talk circuit turned Kyle into a hero over it, mainly because the Governor was an outspoken critic of the Bush regime openly condemning both torture and the lie based attack on Iraq.

Not to mention the Governor's doubts about the OS of 9/11. Thats a BIG no no.

As a former Seal ("Underwater Demolitions" the name used before "Seal") and an elected official, you cant be allowed to openly challenge the establishment.

edit on 30-7-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Mr ventura seem's a nice guy, I think I agree with this and no one deserves to have a lie told about them but someone just wanting to ride on there fame.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
party at Jesse's this saturday 8pm. Just don't pee in the pool.

edit on 30-7-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
So a lie is worth 1.8 million. Wow. Maybe less requests for his speaking,etc is just declining fame and the end of his time in the spotlight.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Ummm yeah it is!!!! It was a big lie that really made Jesse look like a douche. Now the douche bag is Kyle!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This was posted here yesterday.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't see anything wrong with the suit and apparently, it was proven that he was defamed. I say congratulations!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Good for Jesse. I think it's sad that Chris Kyle died but that doesn't mean that profits should still be gained from a lie that benefits one side while negatively impacting the other.

A lot of people seem to think it's okay to tell and profit off lies against someone, if you don't like said persons stances. Truth matters in all things, maybe even especially things we don't like.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
a reply to: roadgravel

Ummm yeah it is!!!! It was a big lie that really made Jesse look like a douche. Now the douche bag is Kyle!

Well judging from the reaction everywhere beyong the fringe this lawsuit has done far far more to make him look like a douge bag. In particular with active and former military he is just getting run into the ground. Honestly it was just a bad idea that has brought him nothing but negative attention. I mean a passage in a book that most people would have never know about, that he simply could have laughed off instead has him now painted all over as a man who is taking money from a veterans widow. I guess if you want money and do not mind being hated by everybody it was a good call.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
How many of you would like to defend yourself against a mans widow.

I believe Jesse. The other guy was trying to sell a book.

jesse stood up for the truth. RIP Kyle
edit on 30-7-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Jesse lost money because of Kyle's lie. He's just reclaiming his losses, monetary, people's treatment towards him, etc., more or less. Kyle's widow still has millions from his book.
edit on 30-7-2014 by dreamingawake because: more...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
An American Sniper whom had a blast killing civilians this is what i get from reading his dairy.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
So a lie is worth 1.8 million. Wow. Maybe less requests for his speaking,etc is just declining fame and the end of his time in the spotlight.

So if a lie is worth 1.8 million, I figure Obama owes me about 1.2 Billion, and I would pay part of it back if Biden just didn't say anything.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Nothing says 'winner' like suing a widow!

Think a book damaged Ventura 'reputation' ?

He has done an epic job of doing that himself.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

did you read the op?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Ventura might have won the battle (lawsuit) but he lost the war (public relations).

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Ya know, I was listening to Glenn Beck this morning and reading some things on the web and this entire "stealing from his widow" comment kept coming up over and over again. Beck also attempted to discredit Ventura even more by bringing up the conspiracy theory aspect.

So I'd like to ask, why is the conservative machine so against Ventura? Is it because Kyle was an outspoken "conservative" and member of the military? If a court found Kyle to have been at fault in this case, shouldn't those that profit from the lie be held accountable?

And why are the folks on the right taking the emotional route and falling back on the widow aspect?

I'm confused by their reaction on this. Someone explain this to me, please.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I could be dead wrong here, but at the end, I think they both came out on top. Publicity for the book which will no doubt result in even greater sales, and publicity for Jesse Ventura. Whatever gets your name out there, negative pub trumps no pub. And the positive/negative will be split, anyway.

Jesse's got a right to defend himself against false accusations, and if the SEAL community has a problem with it, then that's their right too. I sure hope they remember it's part of what they signed up to defend, and I know I appreciate that from the bottom of my soul.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Im glad this was won by Jesse. The whole thing never rang true with me, the claims by the author, that is. Too many inconsistencies as well it seemed.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So ole Jesse has ( in your OPINION ) done an epic job of damaging his reputation ?

Would you mind offering up some examples for your claim ? Thanks

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dazbog

Yo all anyone has to do is drag up his videos on Youtube to see the 'false accusations' he has made.

But that is 'acceptable'.

I love his DEFAMATORY comments about the last administration and the Iraq war.

Ventura 'stands for freedom' !

Apparently not as the topic clearly shows.

Theres a couple of examples.

edit on 30-7-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join