It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save your teeth - A simple thing you can do to make your teeth last longer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
After my mom lost enough teeth to eat properly, her health declined. It was dramatic.

She was negligent when it came to taking care of her teeth.

I wanted to share some realizations I made about tooth decay and one simple thing you can do to make your teeth last longer.

---

It was so simple that I wondered why it took me so long to realize it. I think if I knew of it sooner, I wouldn't have a single cavity.

It began with an investigation of what causes cavities.

From an article:

"While multiple bacteria play a role in cavities, the primary culprit is a nasty strain of bacteria (streptococcus mutans) that thrives by producing acid. These evil bacteria make tooth-eating acid as they feed on the carbohydrates they find on teeth. The acid eats away at teeth creating the holes we call cavities." www.epicdental.com...

"..tooth decay or a cavity, is an infection, bacterial in origin, that causes demineralization and destruction of the hard tissues of the teeth (enamel, dentin and cementum). It is a result of the production of acid by bacterial fermentation of food debris accumulated on the tooth surface." en.wikipedia.org...

"The etiological agent of dental caries is associated with its ability to metabolize various sugars, form a robust biofilm, produce an abundant amount of lactic acid, and thrive in the acid environment it generates.[16]" en.wikipedia.org...

---

Ok, so what did we learn in science class?

What neutralizes an acid?

Answer: A base!

What is a readily available base that is safe to put into your mouth? - Baking soda!

---

So all you do is take a small spoonful (like 1/2 tsp) of baking soda into your mouth with a tiny bit of toothpaste when you brush.

The result is dramatic.

My dentist said to me - "I am surprised that you have so little cavities for a person your age. You must have a basic saliva.. not too many people have basic saliva."

I thought to myself - "No biiaaatch, I use baking soda." .. but didn't say that out loud.

---

Baking soda creates a basic environment in your mouth so that the bacteria that causes tooth decay cannot thrive. It also neutralizes the acid created by the bacteria - which is the cause of tooth decay.

---

Another important thing I realized, since I am a tooth grinder, is the danger of too much Fluoride.

Fluoride hardens your teeth and makes it brittle.

Brittle teeth are more prone to chipping and cracking.

Before my adjustment in how I clean my teeth I got hairline fractures from grinding my teeth or eating something hard.

Nutrients and sugar seep into cracks advancing tooth decay in them.

My solution to this was to decrease my use of fluoride toothpaste by just using a tiny dab. I still used it to take advantage of the tartar controlling chemicals to break down hard buildup between teeth, and breath freshening mint.

It also abated the loss of tooth surface due to tiny chipping.

---

Another great adjustment I made was using an Oral B electric brush with a flossing head.

This resulted in less frequent visits to the dentist for a cleaning by reducing buildup on the back side crevices of my teeth.

---

So there you go, hope this helps.

edit: If you want to get fancy, you can mix in some ground up dried mint leaves and add a little fine sea salt which break up mucus, for a proper tooth powder.
edit on 26-7-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Have been using baking soda for a while now. Much better than tooth paste. Many people here have been doing it for years. Just be careful, it is quite abrasive so must only be used 4 times weekly at most.

About acid........what causes cancer? Yeah acdid. People are also taking baking soda with honey, cutting out ALL foods with preservatives in and just mainly eating raw foods...........few testimonies about people overcoming serious cancers with this simple method. Im not saying it works as I have never had cancer but look online, many people says it does CURE some cancers.

I wish Cancer Research weren't getting most funding from the big pharma, they would be able to research it otherwise.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Great to know
Anotger tip for a whiter smile is turmeric, put a little bit on your toothpaste and brush and swill and the tumeric gets rid of stains.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat
Yep!
I have been using it since I was a kid!
Back in the day, there were a lot of tooth powders.
Py-co-apy was the one our family used.
First two ingredients, salt & baking soda!

In fact, when the pharmacist at our local Mom & Pop pharmacy,
said that it was being discontinued, I ordered a case!
Still rationing it 25 or more years later!

The latest dentist & hygienist that I go to,
asked what kind of toothpaste I use!
They said they had never seen anyone with so little tartar!
They thought that I must have already had my teeth cleaned!

Yep! They'll never convince me, that new is better than tried & true!!!
We have to get back to basics, instead of all the chemicals & fluoride!!!
WOQ

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Ive never used baking soda as a substitute for toothpaste but I have heard many positive responses to it. I just cant see why fluoride toothpaste is so bad if used as toothpaste as in not-swallowed. Yes it is poison but thats the very reason its in toothpaste because in such a small amount it kills bacteria on teeth therefor allowing better health in the mouth. Like the poster said above too much baking soda can be abrasive which would be harmful to your mouth. In most cases of dentistry i bet the majority of cavity filled patients don't brush daily and just overall don't take care of their mouth as in brushing period with toothpaste or not. I don't get the whole conspiracy with toothpaste as if it was such a problem the millions of people brushing daily would know about it and recognize the effects. Fluoride is there to kill bacteria on your teeth, not to (calcify your third eye).

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Another thing people are using it for.......shower gel. Yep, you read that right.

EVer wondered why after showering with shower gel, they next day you really stink again? This is normal you may say....well no it is not. It is the shower gel you use literally 'going off' giving off that smell so you get another shower and use more product.

Use baking soda on your smelliest bits rather than shower gel, next day you smell like roses (well not roses but you dont smell bad). I do shower daily anyway but its nice not to to get up in the morning and think 'phew, I NEED a shower'.

Its so bloody cheap and has soo many uses.

edit on 26-7-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: smwoop
Ive never used baking soda as a substitute for toothpaste but I have heard many positive responses to it. I just cant see why fluoride toothpaste is so bad if used as toothpaste as in not-swallowed. Yes it is poison but thats the very reason its in toothpaste because in such a small amount it kills bacteria on teeth therefor allowing better health in the mouth. Like the poster said above too much baking soda can be abrasive which would be harmful to your mouth. In most cases of dentistry i bet the majority of cavity filled patients don't brush daily and just overall don't take care of their mouth as in brushing period with toothpaste or not. I don't get the whole conspiracy with toothpaste as if it was such a problem the millions of people brushing daily would know about it and recognize the effects. Fluoride is there to kill bacteria on your teeth, not to (calcify your third eye).

I understand what you are saying but I can confirm that after using baking soda my teeth are MUCH better. I told my dentist (who also can see the difference) and they said it was rubbish, there must be another reason. Just like when I told my GP I didnt want to pay for laxatives as Plantain grows everywhere, he told my I was clueless yet it is the main ingerdient in ALL laxatives........it worked too with zero side effects and free.

'Professionals' are only as good as their training. Unfortunatley 'natural' remedies are not part of that training so they will say its rubbish rather than just admit to not knowing.

My point being....flouride is the most effective money making solution for teeth. Not the best by a long shot though.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops

I understand what you are saying but I can confirm that after using baking soda my teeth are MUCH better. I told my dentist (who also can see the difference) and they said it was rubbish, there must be another reason. Just like when I told my GP I didnt want to pay for laxatives as Plantain grows everywhere, he told my I was clueless yet it is the main ingerdient in ALL laxatives........it worked too.

'Professionals' are only as good as their training. Unfortunatley 'natural' remedies are not part of that training so they will say its rubbish rather than just admit to not knowing.

Yes I've always wanted to try to brush with baking soda I just never have so I first hand dont know the benefits or differences in it. I just cant see why the health care portion would not promote it unless it really is good for you and they want people to have cavities etc to put more money into the dentists pocket which is the whole conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Ever have a stubborn stain that just will not wash out?

Try baking soda, dabbed on the stain, a couple of drops of lemon juice, let it bubble and wash off. Most stains are gone.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops

I understand what you are saying but I can confirm that after using baking soda my teeth are MUCH better. I told my dentist (who also can see the difference) and they said it was rubbish, there must be another reason. Just like when I told my GP I didnt want to pay for laxatives as Plantain grows everywhere, he told my I was clueless yet it is the main ingerdient in ALL laxatives........it worked too.

Yes I've always wanted to try to brush with baking soda I just never have so I first hand dont know the benefits or differences in it. I just cant see why the health care portion would not promote it unless it really is good for you and they want people to have cavities etc to put more money into the dentists pocket which is the whole conspiracy.

Exactly. I had a tooth pulled a few years ago. Had a plastic one attached to a partial denture put in. Very happy with it.
EVERY time I go to the dentists, they tell me it is not suitable and I should get a bridge put in. The thing with a bridge is they have to literally file away the teeth at either side in order to fit the bridge. So they want to destroy 2 more teeth to make just 1 look better?????????
That is modern dentistry for you. Its about profits not whats best for your teeth.

BTW, more than 1 dentist has said this to me ( in 2 different countries).

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I've been using it for at least 50 years.
No damage to my enamel!
My brother who is 20 years younger & wouldn't use it,
has major issues with his teeth!

I would think the micro beads they use now, would be much more abrasive!
Plus there are causing problems in the environment!

www.dentalbuzz.com...

www.whatasmile.com...

plasticsoupfoundation.org...

One of those articles, said that it's only added for color!
Really??? Pretty toothpaste that is detrimental to our rivers, oceans & aquatic life?
Yep! Just what I need in my toothpaste!!!
WOQ

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I don't use toothpaste. Hate the taste of it.
The American Dental Association recommends it. Think about it for a second. How do dentists make money?
I usually just use a brush and water. Maybe once every week or two I use baking soda. I've never had a cavity.
Don't drink sodas! The phosphoric acid will dissolve enamel over time. I have a strong hunch that is what destroys many people's teeth.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

There is a thread somewhere here ... lol !

" Golden milk *

www.abovetopsecret.com...

One of many natural alternatives thrown up as effective.

India is very intoned to the uses of spice.

Turmeric is a staple in the wonders that are ... Indian curries !!

Cheap - easy ... Effective ?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Thanks for the info OP!

Just to add: There is a very strong link between infections in the mouth and heart attack. This has been known since the sixties. Many cardiologists will have you get a tooth infection cleared up before heart surgery because the infection was the cause of the heart attack and could easily cause another one after surgery.

soulwaxer

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

There is baking soda toothpaste...

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

There is baking soda toothpaste...

... With Fluoride.

And fresh mint 'flavor' ! ...

Some advocate the use of charcoal.

Diet plays a huge role . Along with genetics; is my take.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Im 30 and have 4 fillings on my back teeth from my younger days.
luckily I have not lost a tooth which is a great achivement in England HAHA.

I brush 3 times a day, drink water, milk and coffee with 1 spoon of sugar.

My dad lost all his teeth when he was 45 because he drinks a cup of tea like every 20/30 minutes with 4 spoons of sugar, he also drinks alot down the pub so I guess he didn't brush when he got home drunk.

A work colleague only 22 has a fang missing, visible cavitys and brown stained teeth and he refuses to goto the dentist, he's always drinking those vile energy drinks.
edit on 26-7-2014 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Lots of helpful info here! Thanks a star for everyone and a flag for OP.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide works really well

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide works really well

That's all you need. Brush after eating sweets, if you eat sweets. Vodka makes a good mouthwash. Kills bacteria and doesn't have the horrible taste of Listerine.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join