It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you judge a society by a member?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I have been a continued poster here for a short time now and have come to the conclusion that people have their dislikes of numerous organisations around the globe because of their experience or knowledge of a single, or few, members.

Can you really judge an organisation of hundreds, thousands or millions by the actions of a few?

I can understand why people would dislike the people they mention, and the things they have done, but I cannot get to grips with the "tarnish all with one brush"

There are members of the fraternities and organisations posting here on a regular basis and I find it hard that you can class these people so easily with never meeting or knowing them.

A members action does not necessarily show the thoughts of the organisation, the same as just because a person is a member of an organisation doesn't automaticall mean they hold the same values.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Well I don't think you will truly know a person until you live with them several years. Then you can make an assumption. Until then keep your gaurd up.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Bondi

Like you I have thought along those lines.

After many years of listening , and watching I have come to the conclusion that as in life. Criticism of others forms a comfort zone around the person who is making the judgement.

In history, as in some modern life, in order to feel or to show others you are superior, you have to first de- humanize the other person or he who will now be your opponent. This is a common practice on message boards, this being easier as you never come face to face with your opponent.

If this is done on a one to one basis it is very hard to do. But however if we de - humanize a group it then become much easier to heap scorn upon them thereby forming a comfort zone , within which one can not be touched. Thus people with big ears are chosen , unusual colour skin, any kind of deformity is any easy target. Especially those who may have something , which you feel they do not want you to have.

The obvious example is Hitler, I am convinced the guy could not care less about the Jewish population , it was more a pathway to power. In Mien Kampf, Hilter says " all that I have done, I have done for the love of God and Country" , well he didn't go to Sunday school did he 'thou shall not kill'.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by billmcelligott
well he didn't go to Sunday school did he 'thou shall not kill'.

Doesn't change your point but I understand it as "Thou shalt not murder.

To say that it is "Thou shalt not kill" is to say that God contradicts himself, which we all know he cannot. He would not have sent the Isrealites to war if the commandment was not to kill.

Deuteronomy 7:2 - And when the Lord thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them.

How could God command not to kill, and then almost in the same breath command Isreal to "utterly destroy" the seven nations that opposed Israel? He wouldn't, of course, hence my understanding of the commandment to be "Thou shalt not murder".

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I had to.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Exodus 20:13

20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Deuteronomy 5:17

5:17 Thou shalt not kill.

5:18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

5:19 Neither shalt thou steal.

New International

17 "You shall not murder.

Deuteronomy 5
Exodus 20
13 "You shall not murder.

Interesting how it changes, why? I suppose shalt is old English.

So 15 all I would say.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Exodus

20:13 You shall not kill

20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Deuteronomy 5:17

5:17 Thou shalt not kill.

5:18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

5:19 Neither shalt thou steal.

New International

17 "You shall not murder.

Deuteronomy 5
Exodus 20
13 "You shall not murder.

Interesting how it changes, why? I suppose shalt is old English.

So 15 all I would say.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Really it's just semantics... Either way, if soeone is trying to kill me I will kill them if I can, and I would feel perfectly justified for doing so. I think pretty much everyone can say that. Anyways, sorry to get off topic...

To get back on it, I would say no, it is completely unreasonable to judge a large group of people by the actions of just a few.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
NO!

We should never judge a nation, a religion, a race, a sexual orientation by only a few that are "not correct"

People have a tendency of generalizing groups of people when they don't even know them or just know a few of them
That is discusting for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It goes pretty far....like good looking woman with big boobs is a hoe or a dumb idiot with no brain....

We should NEVER categorize anybody

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxx

new topics

top topics

join