It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago encouraging residents to make bug out bags?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
IMHO, it boohooves city/state planners to get the message out to people to take some responsibility for preparing for a (insert your most likely situation for your locale here) hasn't anyone learned from Katrina? It is a responsible public service message to get out and it really should be done efficiently and often in every city.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
When we lived in Germany in the cold war era, we had to have bug out bags.
When we lived in Korea in the 70's we had to have bug out bags.

Just a year ago in my community a train derailed and they evacuated within 30 miles of the track because of what it was carrying.

The mayor of Chicago spent so long at the federal level that he started thinking at the federal level and is pushing for bug out bags like they do in all the federal agencies.

What was the common nomenclature for "bug-out bags" back in those days?

I don't know, "bug-out bags" sounds like a fairly modern fedora-wearing hipster noun made in the last 5 years.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: igor_ats

I don't know, "bug-out bags" sounds like a fairly modern fedora-wearing hipster noun made in the last 5 years.

According to the Wikipedia page for 'bug out bag' it has been used since the Korean War era.

Most hipsters that I know aren't sufficiently prepared to handle life properly in their own homes every day, much less in any type of emergency.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It's hard to run fast in footie pajamas, at least without spilling your hot cocoa.

Hipster is the opposite of prepper, isn't it? Perhaps they are both working against the "mainstream," but other than that, the aesthetics are completely at odds.

From what I can tell, hipster-ism revolves around the right art, the right fashion, and appreciating things that don't have immediate value. For preppers, the only measure of an object is whether it will be useful without rule of law.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
well, I hope they go north

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: powerdrone
I noticed that a knife is not on the list of recommended items.
Of course there are no need for firearms either, in FEMA's post emergency world.

Yes, well spotted.

They didn't mention a machete, X-bow, longbow or catty either.

Boxing gloves?

How about torches, snares, lighters, petroleum jelly (firelighting and 1st aid), small foldable saw, axe, shovel...come to think of it, they missed a hell of a lot from that list.
edit on 25-7-2014 by MysterX because: added

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats

Just a year ago in my community a train derailed and they evacuated within 30 miles of the track because of what it was carrying.

The mayor of Chicago spent so long at the federal level that he started thinking at the federal level and is pushing for bug out bags like they do in all the federal agencies.

They called them "Readiness Packets, and Readiness Bags" in other words, be ready to run at a moments notice.

One time when we lived in Northern Germany we were told to report to a nearby (1 hr drive) port to board ships in case the Russians crossed the German border (the wall was up then). I told my hubby I was not about to get on a ship if war broke out, too slow. I was going to head north to Sweden and fly out of Sweden, much faster and not with thousands of Americans on a slow boat.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats

That's why in the interest of political incorrectness, I prefer
to call mine a good tight three day pack. Good for like a month.

If any major city makes the top of Wheel of Misfortune, maybe
the people far out in the burbs could use supplies and tools.
But with so many different WMDs getting tossed around and
indeed getting loose, even a 3 day downtown gets you Richard.

It makes you wonder with all the scandals and even more chatter
in the background; what are those five figure suits dreaming up
for THIS October surprise? Puttin' the brakes on the electorate?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
Well, Chicago is, after all, to the east (as the wind blows) from Yellowstone, or better yet, at the northern edges of the New Madrid.

An almost perfect storm, Rez.. thanks for the potential
Triple Whammy visual. If 'they' throw in a pandemic-- hooo.
Like I said in another thread,
I'll take "The Big Tanning Booth" for $40 Alex.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join