It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

zoomer72:s Pictures of old and rare aircraft thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Hello all!
I was going through my pictures on my pc and remembered i have tons of pics taken on my journeys in Finnish Aircraft museums
so i thought what the heck, i will post some of them here for you to enjoy and ponder at.
I will start with only few but i will keep uploading them as i go through them, apologies on the picture quality on these first ones ,i promise there will be better ones to come.
Please enjoy and feel free to share your own pics here, only criteria is that you have taken the pics /they havent been copied from somewhere.

Bristol Blenheim MK2

Me-109 G6

DC-3

Folland Gnat

IL-28 with Saab Draken in foreground

Mig-21F Fishbed

Brewster F2A-1 Model 239 Buffalo which was recovered from a lake and in the backround you can see Fokker D.XXI
edit on 7/24/2014 by zoomer72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing .. some beautiful old planes there .
S&F

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: zoomer72

G, day mate
well done good pics
was hoping to see an aircraft I was not familiar with
But never the less I ejoyed I.D.ing the aircraft and thankyou for your post

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Thanks for sharing .. some beautiful old planes there .
S&F

G, day Pat. say mate do you have a photo of a daisy to post

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: pronto

G, day mate
well done good pics
was hoping to see an aircraft I was not familiar with
But never the less I ejoyed I.D.ing the aircraft and thankyou for your post

Thanks, well i think i have something for you too upcoming later
here:s a little peek ,ill return to this later

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
S&F for you sir. Some beautiful machines here indeed. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing these.
Believe it or not, that Finnish Brewster Buffalo is restored.
Here is a bit of the story on it and how it was recovered from a Russian lake....

On September 1, 1998, television stations in Finland showed a Brewster fighter that had just been pulled from a lake in Karelia, territory over which Finland and Russia fought in the Winter War of 1939-40 and again in the Continuation War of 1941-1944. (Look on a map for St. Petersburg, then known as Leningrad, and you'll see why the Russians were determined to own Karelia.) The site was Big Kolejärvi Lake, just below the 64th parallel of longitude and 60 miles east of the present Finnish border. The airplane proved to be BW-372, one of 44 "de-navalized" F2A-1s that Finland was allowed to buy from the Brewster company during the Winter War. They were assembled and test-flown in Sweden by Swedish, Finnish, and American technicians but didn't reach the front before Finland was forced to sign the armistice that cost them Karelia. After the Germans invaded Russia in June 1941, the Finns took back the lost land in a campaign that saw the Brewster fighters triumph over the Russian air force. That one of them had literally surfaced in Russia was thrilling news, to say the least. Until this moment, we'd believed that no Brewster Buffalo had survived the war.

warbirds forum
warbirds forum

edit on b000000312014-07-24T08:27:17-05:0008America/ChicagoThu, 24 Jul 2014 08:27:17 -0500800000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Thanks for all for your kind words and
This ones for pronto especially

VL Pyörremyrsky (loosely translated Taifun or whirlwind) Finnish design fighter that flew test flights at the end of WWII
never got to production and there was 2 of these prototypes, this one is the only surviving.

More history of the plane:
Engine was the same as in ME-109 Daimler-Benz DB 605A-1
Top speed 620 km/h at 6 400 meters
522 km/h at sea level
Wing span : 10,38 m
Wing area : 19 m²
Height : 3,89 m
Length : 9,13 m
Empty weight : 2 736 kg
Gross weight : 3 307 kg
The rate on increase: 21 m/s 2000 meters, 16 m/s at sea level
The time to get from 0 to 5 000 meters 4,5 minutes

Ceiling : 11 250 m
Range : 700 km with internal tanks only

Armanent: 1 x 20 mm MG 151 Cannon with 150 rounds
2 x 12,7 mm LKK/42-Machineguns
4 x 50-100 kg bombs

It was regarded as a pleasant aircraft to fly by the test pilots but it never went in to production because war was over and as it had most of its construction made out of wood there were problems with adhesives etc...

The wing profile was later used in Valmet Vihuri training aircraft , but thats another story

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Few more pics of Blenheim ,if i remember correctly this is the only one in the world in this conditon,and tomorrow i think i present to you something older

Sorry, this last pic was horribly out of focus ...

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Great photos. I love WWII aircraft.

You might want to edit the Messerschmitt as it's a bF-109-G6.

Also interesting note on the Brewster Buffalo: Most likely a Finnish flown F2A, from early in the war. The US flew these in the Pacific for a short time, but had catastrophic losses to the Japanese Zeros, whilst the Finns flew these with amazing success versus the Russians.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Great photos. I love WWII aircraft.

You might want to edit the Messerschmitt as it's a bF-109-G6.

Also interesting note on the Brewster Buffalo: Most likely a Finnish flown F2A, from early in the war. The US flew these in the Pacific for a short time, but had catastrophic losses to the Japanese Zeros, whilst the Finns flew these with amazing success versus the Russians.

Thanks, i presumed everyone understood it was BF
The ME is our first name for it ,
actually our (Finnish Airforce) flew the brewsters through the whole WWII gaining 62:1 kill ratio with them... So not bad for aircraft everybody else had forsaken
and that individual was flown by Finnish pilot and he had to ditch it in a lake, he survived the war...
Link:
www.elknet.pl...

And also the plane was found by one of the relatives of Mr .Pekuri and some Finnish/Russian crew but what happened after that , is also another story

The plane itself was actually quite well preserved in the lake so there was very little demand on restoration ,it is actually pretty much in the condition it was raised ...
I have more photos of it to come on later

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
awesome pics man. thanks for sharing S+F

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Yes, the US had a k/d ration of 1:7 or thereabouts in the Brewster, and the Finns, as you stated, were amazingly adept with it.

Cool story of a first combat in a Brewster, from a Finnish pilot's perspective, if you'd like to read it.

www.warbirdforum.com...

One of the best pilot stories about the Brewster that I've ever read.

Also: looking forward to more pics of the Buffalo, as it truly was a remarkable aircraft.

edit on 24-7-2014 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Thanks Kelb, you will be getting more of the Buffalo later
But first i like to introduce you all a fighter i bet most of you didnt know that existed...
The Gourdou Lesseure:

More info in here:
en.wikipedia.org...

That one is sole survivor in its kind too...And i have a soft spot for v- engines

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Fokker D.XXI

In my opinion Beautifull and rugged airplane which served Finnish airforce well, little underfirepowered though
I remember that
Finnish pilot holds still a dubious record with this type of aircraft if i remember correctly he made 26 emergency landings during 100 km trip
That ofcourse helped that Finland is full of lakes and it was wintertime and the plane was equipped with ski:s as the one in the picture so he could land on frozen lakes , reason for those emergency landings was glogged carburator if i remember correctly.
More Info here:
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7/25/2014 by zoomer72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the link Kelb!Heimo Lampi, i have had the pleasure to meet this gentleman in the nineties, remarkable guy..did you know he was involved in the search of that Brewster in the picture?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Magnificent pictures! really enjoyed reading at looking, many thanks.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: zoomer72
Thanks for the link Kelb!Heimo Lampi, i have had the pleasure to meet this gentleman in the nineties, remarkable guy..did you know he was involved in the search of that Brewster in the picture?

I didn't know that he was involved in the search. What an honor to have met that man. Something about his story was compelling. The way he wrote it just seemed so very natural, his emotions, and his actions. I'm very happy that they were able to recover that Brewster. It's one of my favorite aircraft, even if my aviation hero Pappy Boyington didn't have good things to say about it.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Allright, this ones for you!

I have a document film on my hd of finding this aircraft, so if youre interested pm me, ill find a way give you a download !

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

originally posted by: zoomer72

I didn't know that he was involved in the search. What an honor to have met that man. Something about his story was compelling. The way he wrote it just seemed so very natural, his emotions, and his actions. I'm very happy that they were able to recover that Brewster. It's one of my favorite aircraft, even if my aviation hero Pappy Boyington didn't have good things to say about it.

LOL i know exatctly what you mean, i always admired Pappy and the Black Sheep myself and just love the Corsairs, may i recommend to you read Samurai, a book about Saburo Sakai,think youll enjoy!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join