It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King's Hypocirsy

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

It wasn't a barb directed at you specifically but rather a general observation. People often times consider themselves Christian and that they're being charitable by giving a mere 10% (or less). 10% is a pittance and isn't what is actually taught. Keep perspective in mind too even if you're poor and make $20,000 per year that's $20,000 more than those with nothing have. From their perspective you're rich, similarly most millionaires don't consider themselves rich either because even a good portion of the top 1% lives paycheck to paycheck and they're often times exposed to people with much more than they have.

It's easy to justify not giving.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

It wasn't a barb directed at you specifically but rather a general observation. People often times consider themselves Christian and that they're being charitable by giving a mere 10% (or less). 10% is a pittance and isn't what is actually taught. Keep perspective in mind too even if you're poor and make $20,000 per year that's $20,000 more than those with nothing have. From their perspective you're rich, similarly most millionaires don't consider themselves rich either because even a good portion of the top 1% lives paycheck to paycheck and they're often times exposed to people with much more than they have.

It's easy to justify not giving.

Oh, I got that. It's just not entirely accurate. Most of the people with whom I associate regularly are Christian, and I know most give as they are able. Most are NOT rich, or even close. Those that are do tend to give generously, however, as far as I have seen. Yes, I know that isn't always the case. In fact, overall, people with less tend to give more than people with more. Maybe because those of us with less understand the need better.

In any case, the illegal issue isn't about charitable giving. The simple truth is that the nation cannot support an unending stream of poor people from other countries. The end result is that we all have less, and all end up poor. That isn't the way to best help such people. Working with their governments on plans to improve living where they are would be far more effective.

As for King, I think he's a weird dude. I have read and enjoyed some of his books, but most have too much of what I consider "juvenile" stuff in them for my taste. The best way I can explain that is that it seems he's out for shock value sometimes, the same way some young boys of a certain age (and yeah, some girls, too) are. Gross jokes, and that sort of thing. A lot of the stuff in many of the books feels like those old gross jokes to me. Nothing wrong with that, necessarily, and he's clearly very popular; it just isn't something I can take too much of. His opinion here is foolish. He's all concerned about these kids, but not at all about the people impacted by illegals, or the crimes committed, or the very real financial strains on the system; it's all about calling names for him, while he seems to do nothing himself.

Too many celebrities are like that. All talk and lofty sounding ideas, but not much substance. I'd bet if they were crossing his land and leaving tons of trash all over it, he'd sing a different tune.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

In my opinion, Stephen KIng didn't just luck out and get in on the ground floor of a budding horror genre....he built the movement from the basement! One simple little story you mention went on to become "The Shawshank Redemption", another "Stand by me" neither of which are even considered horror stories.

He's a very talented and gifted writer and like anybody else in the spotlight he's being held to a higher standard than the average Joe. How many of us are willing to house refugee children?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: megabogie

Yeah, you know Megabogie... You are right. I just have this, this, abhorrence for superstardom which King and so many others, have been promoted to. And that's not him. It's the Entertainment Machine that cranks out what ever it can find to suck up the dollars from the masses. However, when I say lucked out, had he not already been promoted to that position through his horror work, the smaller pieces like those gems you mention, would very likely gone unnoticed and never made it to the big screen. I have been a prolific reader and have seen so many many books that I have wished to see turned into movies but the authors have never achieved that "event horizon" of popularity the publishing and movie industry demands before they will risk the investment.

So yeah, your point on his talent and skill is well taken. Thanks

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: megabogie

You're talking about Different Seasons. Aside from the Dark Tower series my favorite book. You missed a movie though. Ian McClellen was awesome in Apt Pupil and it's going to be remade again. Those 3 stories weren't horror. The last one and coincidentally the worst(imo) one WAS horrorish. The Breathing Method. I could go on about the social commentary in those stories....

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I've not read any of his later stuff, I just read the staples, and by read, I mean listen- audiobooks while I work.

I just did a search so as not to start another topic, and this thread fits best.
The Stand was published in 1978, I don't know how long it took him to write it, but watching the mini series on Netflix right now,
it's creepy, especially with the first episode having the government kill Kathy Bates in the radio station, and a disease that sweeps so fast across the population. It's stuff on topic on this forum right now.
That's good writing to scare me even today. I don't agree with his politics, but, I don't want to be like some of his characters and hate a person just because of their political party.

edit on 2-8-2014 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join