It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King's Hypocirsy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrflipjr
OK, so he doesn't offer his own land. I can respect that from any civil American.

What get's my goat is this asinine movement from the liberal camp suggesting that not helping the poor, downtrodden illegal aliens is hypocritical of Christians. Seriously? I thought following laws, policies and guidance is the Christian thing to do. Are they suggesting we break laws and invite all the world to habitate in our country to satisfy a percentage of the American population's moral convictions?

I love the hypocrisy of fanatical unicorns and rainbows do gooders. Stephen King exemplifies it...Do as I say, not as I do!

Report: Land Baron Stephen King Hasn't Offered Refuge to Border Kids

Pretty sure Jesus gave a big FU to laws. So yes anyone who really followed his teachings would welcome them. Kind of like America used until the late 1980s. We used to even brag about it if you read the poem on the statue of liberty.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Yet, we still had immigration laws going back to 1798, when religion was certainly more prevalent - and even less homogenous. So, yes, we would have accepted them, provided they followed the laws voted on by Americans.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Jesus never said that. Prior to Christianity's adoption as the official religion of the Roman empire, there was absolutely no mandate for Christians to follow Roman law. In fact, following Roman law to the letter would have been heretical within the early church, as Roman law required everybody to worship the emperor as a living God. Hence Roman persecution of Christians.

Let's not forget that this is the same Jesus who drove the money changers from the temple. The guy was a religious zealot, and didn't have a lot of regard for the law.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yeah he's a dick, a big perverted dick.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jrflipjr

This is classic liberal behavior. They criticize the right for their views, and yet when the tire hits the road they are less willing than the right to contribute to charities, for instance.

It's like rich liberals (Hollywoodies for example) urging others to reduce their carbon footprint.....as they fly around in private jets and driving their SUV's to their 20,000 sq ft home after leaving their "getaway" home away from home.

I never take Hollywood seriously when it comes to politics. They are so far removed from real life it isn't funny. It's like believing that Pelosi is all for the little guy. It's like believing that Gore actually gives a damn about the environment as he hypocrites his way around the US with his Green investments worth millions.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger

He did say, while holding a roman coin, "Give to Caesar that which is Caesar's"...

That is pretty much acknowledging the laws of Rome, and encouraging his followers to follow them. He also said that "give unto God that which is God's". The suggestion is clear: There is a separation of that which is physical and that which is spiritual.

He (Jesus) was viewed as a rebel and was feared since he was supposed to be the "King of Kings" which was interpreted by those in power to mean here on earth, as opposed to spiritually.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So you think jesus would let laws get in the way of him caring for the poor and the weak? No one is saying disregard the laws in the name of jesus. Just not to say that he wouldn't help some one cause a law told him not to.

I don't think I saw anywhere in the Bible where Jesus forcibly took from other people to feed the poor either. I didn't see him stealing or trespassing or vandalizing or seizing other people's property to feed the poor. If he did those things, please point out the relevant passages.

It's said to respect the laws of the land and to give unto Ceasar what's Ceasar's, but what you say here is very reasonable.

Also there's a lot of corruption in government. You can't be sure the money you give to the government is going to a good cause.

I think I read somewhere that conservatives give more to charity. Is that true? Maybe it's, look here:
www.nytimes.com - Bleeding Heart Tightwads...

Liberals show tremendous compassion in pushing for generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad. Yet when it comes to individual contributions to charitable causes, liberals are cheapskates.

Arthur Brooks, the author of a book on donors to charity, “Who Really Cares,” cites data that households headed by conservatives give 30 percent more to charity than households headed by liberals. A study by Google found an even greater disproportion: average annual contributions reported by conservatives were almost double those of liberals.

Other research has reached similar conclusions. The “generosity index” from the Catalogue for Philanthropy typically finds that red states are the most likely to give to nonprofits, while Northeastern states are least likely to do so.
Something similar is true internationally. European countries seem to show more compassion than America in providing safety nets for the poor, and they give far more humanitarian foreign aid per capita than the United States does. But as individuals, Europeans are far less charitable than Americans.
(Looking away from politics, there’s evidence that one of the most generous groups in America is gays. Researchers believe that is because they are less likely to have rapacious heirs pushing to keep wealth in the family.)

edit on 23-7-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

So you think jesus would let laws get in the way of him caring for the poor and the weak? No one is saying disregard the laws in the name of jesus. Just not to say that he wouldn't help some one cause a law told him not to.

I don't think I saw anywhere in the Bible where Jesus forcibly took from other people to feed the poor either. I didn't see him stealing or trespassing or vandalizing or seizing other people's property to feed the poor. If he did those things, please point out the relevant passages.

It's said to respect the laws of the land and to give unto Ceasar what's Ceasar's, but what you say here is very reasonable.

Also there's a lot of corruption in government. You can't be sure the money you give to the government is going to a good cause.

I think I read somewhere that conservatives give more to charity. Is that true? Maybe it's, look here:
www.nytimes.com - Bleeding Heart Tightwads...

Liberals show tremendous compassion in pushing for generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad. Yet when it comes to individual contributions to charitable causes, liberals are cheapskates.

Arthur Brooks, the author of a book on donors to charity, “Who Really Cares,” cites data that households headed by conservatives give 30 percent more to charity than households headed by liberals. A study by Google found an even greater disproportion: average annual contributions reported by conservatives were almost double those of liberals.

Other research has reached similar conclusions. The “generosity index” from the Catalogue for Philanthropy typically finds that red states are the most likely to give to nonprofits, while Northeastern states are least likely to do so.
Something similar is true internationally. European countries seem to show more compassion than America in providing safety nets for the poor, and they give far more humanitarian foreign aid per capita than the United States does. But as individuals, Europeans are far less charitable than Americans.
(Looking away from politics, there’s evidence that one of the most generous groups in America is gays. Researchers believe that is because they are less likely to have rapacious heirs pushing to keep wealth in the family.)

that is easy to explain the difference.

libs want higher taxes so they don't have to put their hand in their pockets.

the wealthy libs use the same tax system shelters and loopholes as the cons.

like micheal moore they try to extract and push some type of shame on others.

when you have a base of taxes everyone pays, rich or poorer, and add the out of pocket charity, it seems to be more than what the libs want taxes raised to.

30% is a pretty good hike on income.
also a thought, charitable donations pretty much go to a specific place, taxes just go to the gov for whatever.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Um Jesus didn't really follow laws..... Hence him getting crucified but sure go ahead and ignore that if it fits what you want

What law did He break?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Um Jesus didn't really follow laws..... Hence him getting crucified but sure go ahead and ignore that if it fits what you want

What law did He break?

I think he gave an example of his lack of respect for the law when he entered the Temple of Courts and trashed the place. Too bad for him he didn't know when it was time to get the hell out of Dodge.
I've got nothing bad to say about Stephen King. He strikes me as a pretty good guy.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
www.theblaze.com...

“I come to you today to report that the new number on money raised is $1.9 million,” Beck said on his radio program. “It’s astounding. $1.9 million.”

That's from his listeners, you know, the crazy whack job TEA party types...

You can donate here Mr. King:
secure.qgiv.com...

www.theblaze.com...

What has the fringe elements of the Democrat Party done? Where's Code Pink with relief? Where's the labor unions offering relief?

Say want you want about Beck. Say he only did it for publicity and not from his faith in God, I won't argue that.

But in two days he raised $2,000,000. The people who donated did so because they understand these kids are just the pawns and the real evil and crime against this country is being systematically orchestrated by third world central and south America and its sympathizers seeking political gain.

Stephen King needs to write a book about a man who dies choking on the foot that's inserted in his mouth.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: jrflipjr
OK, so he doesn't offer his own land. I can respect that from any civil American.

What get's my goat is this asinine movement from the liberal camp suggesting that not helping the poor, downtrodden illegal aliens is hypocritical of Christians. Seriously? I thought following laws, policies and guidance is the Christian thing to do. Are they suggesting we break laws and invite all the world to habitate in our country to satisfy a percentage of the American population's moral convictions?

I love the hypocrisy of fanatical unicorns and rainbows do gooders. Stephen King exemplifies it...Do as I say, not as I do!

Report: Land Baron Stephen King Hasn't Offered Refuge to Border Kids

Pretty sure Jesus gave a big FU to laws. So yes anyone who really followed his teachings would welcome them. Kind of like America used until the late 1980s. We used to even brag about it if you read the poem on the statue of liberty.

Actually, no he didn't.

They tried to catch Him breaking the law so they could have a "legitimate" reason to arrest him so they tried to corner him.

That's the context behind this statement according to Mark:

biblehub.com...

13And they send unto him certain of the Pharisees and of the Herodians, to catch him in his words. 14And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not? 15Shall we give, or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it. 16And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's. 17And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Don't mean to be a bible thumper.Deep down I'm just an atheist that see's no harm in the philosophical lesson the story of Jesus relates to the development of mankind's societal balance and individual culpability.

In the end we're all pond slime. It's nice that pond slime can dream up and create such wonderful imaginations in attempts to provide a pathway to something more than pond slime.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

What law did He break?

I think he gave an example of his lack of respect for the law when he entered the Temple of Courts and trashed the place. Too bad for him he didn't know when it was time to get the hell out of Dodge.
I've got nothing bad to say about Stephen King. He strikes me as a pretty good guy.

No, that had nothing to do with the law. That was His House. Much like people can not just do what they want in your house.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
As someone who has been a Stephen King fan all of my life, growing up in Bangor, ME quite literally down the street from Mr. Kings home, I have to step in and defend him.

Stephen is probably the greatest philanthropist the state of Maine has ever seen. He has done more to help the citizens of Maine than many, many others. Combined.

He has built state of the art baseball fields and swimming pools for kids, he and his wife have helped pay for heating during the bitter Maine winters for families.. It goes on and on.

So this is the "conservative" mentality.. (Conservatives in quotes because, come on, these people are not conservative about anything, except brain power) Criticize King for not putting his money where his mouth is and helping and sheltering the immigrant children- that those on the Right don't even want here in this country in the first place. But when he helps AMERICANS and Mainers, families and children, the ones those on the Right supposedly care about? Silence.

D*mn hypocrites. And no, I'm not a liberal. Stephen and I don't agree on everything politically, but he is not one of the wealthy people you can crap on for not giving back.. Because he does. And then some.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: beezzer
I find it amusing that so many confuse charity with mandated theft and "forced giving".

Being robbed is not the same as donating freely.

Funny thing, during the times of Jesus, Jews were being taxed more than any others, and the Romans forced them to show their genitals to prove that they were or weren't Jews when they went to pay those taxes. Yet Jesus said to give unto Caesar, when asked about taxes.

Thank Cuthulu that we have a secular society and what Jesus would or would not do shouldn't mean squat.

Cthulhu Is Lovecraft.
Although Steve isn't above "borrowing" from anyone.

I really like Lovecraft, hence the Cuthulu reference.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Does anyone in this thread actually believe that if Jesus Christ and his followers were at the border when these refuge children show up, he would turn them away? Or advocate turning them away?

I can't imagine what kind of mental backflips you have to do to arrive at that conclusion.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

You missed S.K.'s point, which was that these so-called Christians are acting anything but Jesus-like when they're screaming thier collective heads off at kids who need help. Agree with S.K. or not, the book these people claim to be so in love with, The Bible, tells them that charity and love are the keys to a Christian existance - not just recognizing those ideas as worthy, but actually putting those concepts into practice. The REAL hypocrites are the yellers at the border. They make themselves and this country look very bad when they act in way contrary to every signle so-called 'American Value'.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TownCryer

You missed S.K.'s point, which was that these so-called Christians are acting anything but Jesus-like when they're screaming thier collective heads off at kids who need help. Agree with S.K. or not, the book these people claim to be so in love with, The Bible, tells them that charity and love are the keys to a Christian existance - not just recognizing those ideas as worthy, but actually putting those concepts into practice. The REAL hypocrites are the yellers at the border. They make themselves and this country look very bad when they act in way contrary to every signle so-called 'American Value'.

AS shown earlier in the thread, the evil Tea party types have raised a couple million to help the kids so S.K's rant is off base. The people yelling at the border are responding to the fact that the government is not doing it's duty. It's not that they hate kids or hate charity, but recognize that the government is not doing it's job, we as a nation are broke with the largest debt in history, and the administration is breaking the law and using these kids as political pawns.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

statue of liberty poem
These are the words tbat greeted my grandparents and great grand parents. Yours too I bet.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Yep, mine too.

That came here Legally.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join