It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How going into work with a cold could kill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
So much for playing the martyr and going to work with a cold ... it could take years off your life.

STRUGGLING into work with a cold is not an act of dedication but a short-cut to heart disease, a study of British civil servants has found.

Employees who refuse to take time off when they are ill put strain on their hearts that can double the risk of coronary problems, according to the occupational health report.

The article continues ...

The results showed that between 30 and 40 per cent of those who continued to work when ill � even when afflicted by a minor complaint such as the common cold � later suffered twice the rate of heart disease.

Professor Sir Michael Marmot, head of the survey, said that �presenteeism� leads to an increase in coronary heart disease. �So many people force themselves into work when they are not well and have little knowledge of the consequences,� he said. �Far from contributing to their companies or spreading a few germs around the office, they could be hastening their own death.

The interesting thing is that back in the year 2000 I caught the flu. I went into work despite it and began suffering serious breathing problems. I ended up with a flu-based heart virus and heart failure. Not nice.

Pity they didn't do this survey five years ago :shk:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Pisky, where i work, you'd best get to work under ANY circumstances if you treasure your entire paycheck. I dont care how reliable you are, if you are late or call in sick (it could be for emergency open heart) you will be deducted $2.00 per hour= 160.00 right out of your check as penalty(every 2 weeks)
We have employees in various stages of decomposition
, it makes for a very unhealthy place to work.

I have nose potions, throat sprays and not to mention my trusty mini bottle of Clorox as an every day deterrent to all the illnesses. I wonder how the owners can get away with this but they do.

One day i told my boss i had some chest pains ( probably anxiety) and i was told i couldnt go home because we were too busy.

So... i guess i will have to risk my heart for my paycheck.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I suppose to Corporate America we are just like machines to be replaced when we break. :shk:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Pisky, I truly believe that the most common illness known to man has not a cure to be found as of yet is a conspiracy. I do believe that colds, flu, and various other common viruses are probably so simple, that to cure them would take away a great deal of income from companies selling cold 'band aids' like cough syrups and cold pills.
Back to the topic; it sucks that employers are less than empathetic and sympathetic when it comes to the needs of a sick employee. I work in food service, and because of health laws, if you sick - you not come in and work! Of course, you get no pay, but you don't get canned either.

I think we are all so stressed that sickness or not we should step back and breathe the fresh air. Of course money is king and we can't do that. Doesn't money suck or what!? Nice post. Next time I am sick I will take a bunch of cold pills and not tell my boss I am sick. We all gotta go someway, sometime.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
If you must work while sick, come in wearing one of those paper masks over your mouth. It'd show consideration for others, and maybe your boss would get the hint that you could be contagious, and he might wanna send you home!

new topics

top topics

join