It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single injection of a protein completely reverses diabetes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

In mice with diet-induced diabetes -- the equivalent of type 2 diabetes in humans -- a single injection of the protein FGF1 is enough to restore blood sugar levels to a healthy range for more than two days. The discovery by Salk scientists, published today in the journal Nature, could lead to a new generation of safer, more effective diabetes drugs.

The team found that sustained treatment with the protein doesn't merely keep blood sugar under control, but also reverses insulin insensitivity, the underlying physiological cause of diabetes. Equally exciting, the newly developed treatment doesn't result in side effects common to most current diabetes treatments.

"Controlling glucose is a dominant problem in our society," says Ronald M. Evans, director of Salk's Gene Expression Laboratory and corresponding author of the paper. "And FGF1 offers a new method to control glucose in a powerful and unexpected way." Type 2 diabetes, which can be brought on by excess weight and inactivity, has skyrocketed over the past few decades in the United States and around the world. Almost 30 million Americans are estimated to have the disease, where glucose builds up in the bloodstream because not enough sugar-carting insulin is produced or because cells have become insulin-resistant, ignoring signals to absorb sugar. As a chronic disease, diabetes can cause serious health problems and has no specific cure. Rather it is managed -- with varying levels of success -- through a combination of diet, exercise and pharmaceuticals.

www.sciencedaily.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.nzherald.co.nz...

Okay so sustained treatment might be needed for a while but this is excellent news. So many lives can be saved. However, a miracle cure encourages people to eat poorly. How would this news change society? Would Big Pharma exploit this to make hundreds of billions of $$?

So what is FGF1?

The protein encoded by this gene is a member of the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family. FGF family members possess broad mitogenic and cell survival activities, and are involved in a variety of biological processes, including embryonic development, cell growth, morphogenesis, tissue repair, tumor growth and invasion. This protein functions as a modifier of endothelial cell migration and proliferation, as well as an angiogenic factor. It acts as a mitogen for a variety of mesoderm- and neuroectoderm-derived cells in vitro, thus is thought to be involved in organogenesis. Three alternatively spliced variants encoding different isoforms have been described.[3] In mice with diet-induced diabetes, the equivalent of type 2 diabetes in humans, a single injection of the protein FGF1 is enough to restore blood sugar levels to a healthy range for > 2 days

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 18-7-2014 by an0nThinker because: Link

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Wow, to think that diabetes can be a thing of the past...

I know that canary seed (alpiste) is a natural way to help reduce diabetes, but if this new protein can neutralize it to a point where nobody has to worry about diabetes ever again... then that would truly be incredible.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Nurelic

Cinnamon also

How Cinnamon Can Benefit Diabetics

Below are five known ways cinnamon can be helpful to your metabolism:

1. Cinnamon can increase your glucose metabolism about 20-fold, which significantly improves blood sugar regulation. (4)

2. Cinnamon has been found to have "insulin-like effects" due to a bioactive compound, qualifying it as a candidate for an insulin substitute.

3. Cinnamon slows the emptying of your stomach to reduce sharp rises in blood sugar following meals, and improves the effectiveness, or sensitivity, of insulin.

4. Cinnamon actually enhances your antioxidant defenses. A study published in 2009 stated, "Polyphenols from cinnamon could be of special interest in people who are overweight with impaired fasting glucose since they might act as both insulin sensitizers and antioxidants." (5)

5. A bioflavonoid found in cinnamon called proanthocyanidin may alter the insulin-signaling activity in your fat cells.

Other health benefits of cinnamon include:

• Supporting digestive function
• Relieving congestion
• Relieving pain and stiffness of muscles and joints
• Reducing inflammation and symptoms of arthritis
• Helping to prevent urinary tract infections, tooth decay and gum disease
• Relieving menstrual discomfort
• Stimulating circulation with blood-thinning compounds

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The cost of this treatment?
The years of testing yet to go?
No Cure without a price ............meh....

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
A good diet will also reverse or reduce diabetes significantly.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

By 2017 the diabetes drugs market will be worth 55.3 billion,expect ATS to be the last place you see this cure before a drug company buys it up and buries it.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling
Probably in the 5-10 year range. There will be people buying this as a research chemical and injecting themselves. All depends on if Big Pharma will buy this up or patent it. I expect this to cost well into the 6 figure range (they get rid of a customer for life). This could also get shot down like one obesity drug that worked too well, so the company fed its mice 300 times the therapeutic dose which caused cancer and closed development on it.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It reversed the diabetes in Mice for two days. That does not mean it is permanent. There has been some testing on this before so this just verifies that it works. Now this is type two, you take a pill a day for type two diabetes.

They have pretty good luck in some European countries just telling people to take taurine supplements for type two diabetes.. Taurine coupled with sodium and Chloride help rid the body of toxins at the cellular level. Of course the potassium in the cells has to be of proper levels as does the fatty protective coating around the mitochondria. You need NAC for that, which breaks down to taurine. The best sources of this is rare meat or eggs sunnyside up or over easy...even soft boiled. These two chemicals are heat sensitive.

I think the reason for diabetes is that we cook everything to well, worrying about the bad bacteria in the foods now.

Also, the test was done with shots, not with pills. I wouldn't want to take a shot three days a week.
edit on 18-7-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: an0nThinker

Great post. It only mentions type 2 diabetes. The big-pharma industry has no intentions of ever getting rid of type 2 diabetes. They sell all the insulin, needles, RX pills, lancets, test strips, RX weight loss pills, diet books, etc.

See my threads on why prescription insulin is a superiorly inferior product for diabetics of type 1 (autoimmune) or type 2 diabetics to be taking.

I sent a letter to a top level government agency whose name will not be mentioned in this post to request that they look into a company that is both curing type 1 and type 2 diabetics in Canada. The way I see it is that unless the military decides that they need more soldiers, the people will NEVER see a cure for diabetes.

I'm sorry to be so cynical, but they have been telling people since they discovered insulin in the 1920's that "the cure is only about 5 years out." I know for a FACT that big-pharma knows how to make insulin that works better for the diabetics than the flawed partially-complete GMO product that they sell. I also know they have said that it "wouldn't be profitable enough to ever cure diabetes."

I also know of research that has cured diabetic mice of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in 2004-2006 by a Dr. Salter in Canada by injecting the "hot" part of peppers called capsacin into the panacreas of rodents who had diabetes before the injections. He said that the big pharma industry "doesn't want to cure this moneymaker." That statement he made has been virtually sanitized from the internet, but I read it myself.

Let us hope that the military decides to cure both types of diabetes. I have heard that something as mininal as a raw juice diet can be the cure for type 2 diabetes. I only wish that type 1 were that easy to cure.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: an0nThinker
a reply to: Char-Lee
A good diet will also reverse or reduce diabetes significantly.

What i found is good diet or not I sometimes do something stupid like have something really sweet and start to feel ill, I just take the cinnamon and I feel fine again. I take it anytime I eat something that could cause a problem.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I think the reason for diabetes is that we cook everything to well, worrying about the bad bacteria in the foods now.

Add soda, sweetened coffee donuts....and such.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Add soda, sweetened coffee donuts....and such.

Yup, Ohhh....I think there is still some apple fritter left...got to go make a pot of coffee.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
There is no reason to find a "cure", big pharma can't make money on a cure.
Just do what you can and hope for the best.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee
Fair enough. Plenty of methods to fix diabetes, but big pharma doesn't have much interest in pushing it through. Good chance that this treatment will never see the light of day.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The reason for tyoe II diabetes is our poor diet- Most extra sugars and simple carbs.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: an0nThinker
The reason for tyoe II diabetes is our poor diet- Most extra sugars and simple carbs.

The overabundance of free and bound glutamates in our diets doesn't help either. If you try to avoid them, you cut the consumption down to tolerable rates.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: an0nThinker

Or you could just stop consuming sugar and go onto a natural ketogenic diet, also take organic sulphur which will remove the mercury that inhibits the aquaporin function which is the plumbing system for cells and regulates water intake and waste excretion this then leads to the cells not getting the correct energy and the cells crying out for more food.

Sulphur binds with mercury and removes this highly poisonous substance that the governments and the corporations they work for think is funny to put into our mouths and vaccinate our children with.

new topics

top topics

join