It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mystery of the Serpent Mounds...of Scotland?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to:Beansidhe
Just tell a few friends that you have a cooler full of beer and need their help cutting grass(it works, trust me!). LOL
I cut one of the local graveyards from time to time. You could make it shine in all it's glory and get the attention that it deserves because it's magnificent.

edit on 17-7-2014 by Fylgje because: replying error

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Lol! You know, that's not such a bad idea

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Morgil

yes quetz....(sp?)
that's the one
lol

and the hairdos I mentioned are the "mo hawk"...very cockatiel or parrot like

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Snakes were seen as sacred by some because they lived in both worlds, both on land and slithering beneath it to the underworld. I doubt all snakes were literally worshipped just what they represented. All very interesting though, i didn't know these mounds existed in Scotland.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DrHammondStoat

Yes, their representation is more likely, possibly the milky way or Draco if we're thinking astrologically or for their otherworld links as you point out.
I'm glad you found it interesting, it's certainly food for thought.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

i was looking to see if anyone had posted about the mounds in Scotland and found your post, i was going to do post with this source that could possibly explain what they are about (if you like dipping your toes in that stuff, that is)..... check it out

"This serpent race were the first true Gnostics that were sometimes called over the course of history, the Sons of Seth, the Ophites, Gnostics, Hivites, Nephilim, Kohanim, Seraphim, Phoenician Bards, Druids, and later they became attached to the Catholic Church as the biblical Levites from the priestly Tribe of Levi"

gnosticwarrior.com...

i love these gnostic stories

edit on 15-2-2017 by Davg80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I wonder how much of this relates to 2 cultures across the globe carrying on similar traditions from a prior point in time.

Its been noted that the Cosmic Hunt is a basis for a wide swath of mythos across the northern hemisphere. As I recall, cultures that lack the Cosmic Hunt mythos are the remnants of the HSS migration from 50kya that populated the south pacific.

I wonder if the similarities we see (pyarmids, mounds, monoliths, etc) stem from this relationship? Further back in the paleolithic era these things are possibly important to humans who share the Cosmic Hunt mythos.

I think the similarities are an effect of our shared history more than recent contact.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I think the similarities are an effect of our shared history more than recent contact.

I think they are the result of cherry picking the evidence, like the claim for global pyramids, which are about the only shaped large buildings that could be built with the various technologies utilised before steel reinforcement
different locations
different times
different materials
different usages
different cultures responsible
but hey, look, they all look a little bit the same so there must be some connection
its nonsense on a standard with the Ancient Aliens TV show

edit on 15-2-2017 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

tbh i more swing to the theory that everything is same same because we share consciousness and back in the day i just think we were more attuned. but there is also the case when you look up at the stars the most prevalent shape and the easiest to draw from a scattering of dots is a triangle, it wouldn't surprise me if they made stories of these castles in the sky and wanted to build them on the ground.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Davg80

Hi Davg80, nice to see you here and to see you're from Scotland too!
I like the gnostic stories you linked because they make sense of everything and form a neat package, whereas in reality there were probably not such neat delineations between cultures. They assume that our ancestors shared the same sense of social hierarchy, economic and political structures and cultural symbols and we know that all of these things are fluid and temporal, dependant on personality as much as culture.

tbh i more swing to the theory that everything is same same because we share consciousness and back in the day i just think we were more attuned. but there is also the case when you look up at the stars the most prevalent shape and the easiest to draw from a scattering of dots is a triangle, it wouldn't surprise me if they made stories of these castles in the sky and wanted to build them on the ground.

I'm not sure if we were more attuned or not, it's hard to pin down. Possibly more so to our local environment, although arguably we are now more attuned globally and so 'more attuned' becomes a problematic phrase.

I think that what we did share, and still share, is the same sky and I also believe that a large proportion of our stories today were once stories of the stars. What I find frustrating really, is that the story of the serpent mounds has been lost. We don't know who built them or why. The fact that burned bones were found at Skelmorlie would suggest something ritualistic or spiritual, perhaps?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   

tbh i have recently just found out about them, and skelmorlie is less than 20 miles from me.
So i will be camping there when the weather gets better, i wonder how close i could camp to it?
Last couple of years i camped at loch doon because i found out it was UKs first dark sky park....
and it was overcast everytime lol. i also went to Roslin Chapel after i read about it in the DiVinci code.
I would love to visit the oldest standing stones and Smoo cave..... we have a beautiful country thats
for sure! with many a mystery!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

dunno man....i mean, it is a stable shape and all. But I can imagine having an enormous structure with barely any usable inner space would likely not be superior as far as time invested and space used to a henge or a mound.

Stable but inefficient. Im not sure that Im buying your idea here.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Davg80

I went to Smoo cave when I was wee, my mother is from that area. I'd love to go back, in fact I think I will.

I don't know how close you could camp, the 'serpent' is next to the castle so whether it is in the private grounds or on public land I don't know. I'd love to hear about your trip though!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

yes looking at the pics of skelmorlie castle it prob is private, looks like they could be the types to bust a cap in ur ass for trespassing lol, but i love the idea of locating the head of the serpent and camping on it.... on a full moon.
I will be sure to tell you all about, providing i live through the experience ha. No but seriously will defo be pitching up a
tent as close as i can to that area. And hopefully get back to Loch doon again also this year on a clear night.
i looked into hiring a campervan for a week and going to Smoo cave, but it is very expensive to hire those things for a week, so will have to wait on that one till i am earning....... Student loans don't go far!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I fixed the Skelmorlie link for you, you had s1 at the start of it which redirected to s1jobs.com.

I'll have to add these to my list of places to visit across this fine country. Relying on public transport for now means these sites will have to wait, shouldn't be too long 'til I pass my test. Aberlemno is very close to me though, I love the standing stones there...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Davg80

yes looking at the pics of skelmorlie castle it prob is private, looks like they could be the types to bust a cap in ur ass for trespassing lol,

They'd end up in trouble if they did, we have the right to roam in Scotland, you're not trespassing unless you do damage...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Ano but camping out somebody's back door is kinda frowned upon lol

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Davg80

Ano but camping out somebody's back door is kinda frowned upon lol

True but I have had a fair amount of success in approaching landowners and asking if camping is permitted. Most are fine when they realise the site would be left as it was found

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexanIm not sure that Im buying your idea here.

Not so good for inside, but when you have a priest shouting from the top, everyone can see him

So like, if I gave you 20,000 stone blocks and told you the structure had to be visible from every other point in the city and also last for a thousand years, what shape would you build

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Aaaw, thanks for that! It does go to S1 jobs, clearly I was distracted when I should have been sending off my cv.

I grew up near Aberlemno too, but a bit further north. The stones are fantastic, the symbols still puzzle me though. Good luck with your test.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join