It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest ever study of its kind finds significant differences between organic and non-organic food

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Organic (Superior SMARTER People) Non-Organic (Regular folks, like me) I like the regular folks. I'll eat what I please. It's called freedom. Organic people are 100% against that. They are a lot like a religion. Kill it if you can't convert it.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Here, on the other side of the opinion spectrum, some people argue that organic farming cannot be sustainable...I guess they have never seen soil and a shovel in their lives, though

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: tencap77

It has nothing to do with the food you eat and your freedom. It is about the process the food goes through to get to your table..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I'm with the 'they didn't need a study to tell me that" crowd.. mostly because I experimented on myself some time ago. Ate strictly organic for 3 months- I was, and still am, AMAZED at how much better I felt! I had tons of energy, a cheerful outlook, slept deeply and restfully, my skin glowed and my eyes sparkled. I have never felt better in my adult life than those 3 months. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to stay on it and within a few weeks I was back to my old self

Now I have a garden and this year has been very successful - I doubt I will ever be able to eat another store bought tomato!

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I consider all vegetables and fruits herbs..

kind regards

purp..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tencap77
Weird post.
Nobody's telling you what to eat, the information is just presented for anyone who wants to read it.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I'm lucky enough to be able to grow a bit of my own food on land that has never seen commercial fertilizers and hasn't seen any sort of commercial pesticides since the '60s. I feed my gardens with compost made from overgrowth from the yard/gardens and a bit of chicken manure from a neighbor's free range chickens. It's amazing how much nutrition is available in what most people pay to put in a landfill, leaves, weeds, grass clippings...
It seems to me that as usual, when the government steps into an issue, the words get twisted. "Certified Organic" is a government term used as a result of several committees of bureacrazies meeting and coming to a "con-census" on what to call real, unadulterated food. They argued for years, and are still arguing about how much "non-natural" crap can be added and still obtain that vaulted definition for labeling purposes. They've even set up a whole branch or two of government just to study and argue these issues and to make sure that all is as advertised.
I'm far more interested in clean food than in certified food. When I am buying food at the local Farmers' Market I can speak with the man/woman/dhild who raised it and I can be sure that their family is eating it. A goodly number of our market farmers are not certified because they refuse to give up an entire crop to pests. I don't blame them. I'd probably make that same decision and use whatever I found that was effective. Some are not certified because they want nothing to do with the government poking its nose into their lives at random. I don't blame them. I try to avoid all contact with such folk myself.

Growing food is very empowering. If you can manage it, I recommend it. I very much believe in the old adage: Let your food be your medicine.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Pathaka
Typical PR agency (paid by Monsanto) blurring the lines BS.

Stop peddling that Monstanto-Bayer-Syngenta paid-for PR crap and please use your own brain and do some research.

Try reading the thread prior to acting like a total toolbag with your comments.

There was 0 need for you to respond the way that you did, it was very juvenile.

Pathaka answered your question about "I was always under the impression that maize and some grasses were considered the original genetically modified food stocks since our ancestors began selectively breeding them millennia ago."
and stated how selective breeding and growing on natural cycles, with natural fertilizers, on non-depleted land, using organic methods is completely different than what Monsanto has created (frank'n foods if you will)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SeoKungFu

It is the complete opposite organic farming is farm more sustainable than conventional farming...

kind regards

purp..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Selective breeding to bring about beneficial traits is not modification. If you selectively breed tomatoes, the genome remains entirely tomato, as in not modified. Genetic modification creates a new species not occurring in nature. a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy
a reply to: purplemer

It appears that ignorance here is universal. Does anyone know what "organic"means. It means having carbon. Hydrogen cyanide (HCN) is perfectly organic. Kerosine is organic. Yum! Polychlorinated Biphenols (PCBs) are organic. Puff adder venom is organic. Words have meanings. Let's start using the right ones. By the way, most of the pesticides people rail against are Organophosphates. Know what that "organo stands for? Organic. So take a big swig of Malothion - it's organic.

you know it just so happens that often words will have more then one definition, dictionaries are handy things in such cases,

www.merriam-webster.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

But it is perfectly okay for some clown to stroll in, not read the thread and call me a corporate shill?

Additionally, his clarifying comments were unnecessary as I had already stated that three times prior. But you knew that because you read the thread too...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: scoobfl
Selective breeding to bring about beneficial traits is not modification. If you selectively breed tomatoes, the genome remains entirely tomato, as in not modified. Genetic modification creates a new species not occurring in nature. a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes it is. Do you not know what the definition of the word "modification" means? It means to change something. Selective breeding changes the plant. It is modifying it. Just because it is the same species doesn't mean it wasn't modified.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

The hippie crowd you are referring too is an international team of experts led by Newcastle University. This is peer reviewed science bud.

purp..

I think you missed the point of what i was trying to get across... Basically the response meant "Duh" as to say... Of course Organic is healthier than Non-Organic. This was just another, waist of time and money, pointless "discovery"

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dapaga
wish I could afford organic

You can...there's not much you can't grow in a pot, using organic seeds and soils and fertilizers, set next to or out in some sunlight.

We need to quite thinking that the only way we can have organic food is to purchase what's available at the local grocer's produce stands. Growing one's own fruits and veggies is cheap and relatively easy, especially with the aid of the internet.
edit on 15-7-2014 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: tencap77
Organic (Superior SMARTER People) Non-Organic (Regular folks, like me) I like the regular folks. I'll eat what I please. It's called freedom. Organic people are 100% against that. They are a lot like a religion. Kill it if you can't convert it.

That's the most hyperbolic bull# I've ever heard.

You have a victim complex over food?

You feel attacked by people suggesting pesticides and preservatives aren't as good as fresh natural stuff?

Sorry for ruining your life, I'll put away my pitch forks and torches that burn on common sense.
edit on 07am09am312014-07-15T09:47:13-05:0009America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Selective breeding changes the plant. It is modifying it. Just because it is the same species doesn't mean it wasn't modified.

First off, the modifications are completely different--restoring a car modifies a car insomuchas it returns the car to its original state, but cutting a Volkswagon Bus in half, welding on a Chevrolet truck bed and replacing the engine with a Ford is also modifying it. See, you can't claim that keeping food organic (its orginal state) but selectively breeding the same species (in order to keep the results of the best-producing foodstuffs as opposed to the worst from the species) is the same as hacking up the DNA of the plant and effectively welding on new parts and replacing its engine.

Hell, even transplanting a plant from one type of soil to another "modifies" it, under your definition. We're not saying that modification is inherently bad--we're saying it is the TYPE of modification that is the problem.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

LMAO

Took them long enough, SMH

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

But it is perfectly okay for some clown to stroll in, not read the thread and call me a corporate shill?

Additionally, his clarifying comments were unnecessary as I had already stated that three times prior. But you knew that because you read the thread too...

And the immaturity continues *roll eyes*

The user didn't call you a corporate shill

Stop peddling that Monstanto-Bayer-Syngenta paid-for PR crap and please use your own brain and do some research.
Nope, no use of the word corporate shill in that sentence. The user was simply telling you to stop regurgitating lies, stop being a sheep and look up the research for yourself.

If you already had stated it three times prior then why did you even bother saying what you did? It's asking for exactly what happened to you to happen to you. You know not everyone reads the entire thread & you don't know for 100% sure if the user did or did not read the entire thread. You just got your panties in a knot and decided to respond like a juvenile.

You could have responded differently but you chose the path you did so don't be your panties in a knot again because I called you out on it.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: Dapaga
wish I could afford organic

You can...there's not much you can't grow in a pot, using organic seeds and soils and fertilizers, set next to or out in some sunlight.

We need to quite thinking that the only way we can have organic food is to purchase what's available at the local grocer's produce stands. Growing one's own fruits and veggies is cheap and relatively easy, especially with the aid of the internet.

Not everybody
A) has the space to grow food ((Yes you can grow some stuff in a small pot but if you have a family to feed, you need more than just a couple pots))

B) Has the green thumb to grow anything let alone food. I bought an aloe vera plant and I thought I knew everything about them because I watched how my Mom took care of her aloe plants but I ended up getting white mold on my plant & down into it's soil. I had no idea that plants could get moldy and all that medicine(aloe plant) had to be tossed in the garbage.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join