It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask any question you want about Physics

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Does quantum entanglement work through time dilation? This something i was thinking about the other day. Take 2 entangled particles and then accelerate one to close to the speed of light for an extended amount of time. Do they stay synced in the present or is there a delay?
Great question, which if I understand it, is part of the topic of this PhD thesis:

Relativistic entanglement of single and two particle systems

This is from page 76, and apparently it's a somewhat complex topic:

whether or not, and to what extent, the state and entanglement of spins changes depends substantially on the spin and momentum states involved, as well as on the geometry of the boost scenario. Whereas some states and geometries leave entanglement invariant, others give rise to rapid changes of concurrence
So my take is the answer is "it depends..." and if you can understand that paper you can probably get more details from it, but I haven't read the whole paper.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: PraiseTheHighestOne
A few months ago thereabouts, a plane with a very unique sounding engine(military/experimental methinks) flew overhead and used some sort of psychotronic weapon on me.

The air around me smelled burnt and I could definitely feel like I was being hit by some kind of radiation.

What was this?

That was just god
messing around with quantum physics.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Science + Metaphysics = my questions.

How many universes are in the multiverse?
How many dimensions?
How thick(not the right word but you know what I mean) is the veil between dimensions?
Are the universes and dimensions layered or are they in the same place/time?
Is it a matter of vibrations or something else that keeps them separate?
What is needed to cross the veil?

What is your opinion on any one or all of those?
Use easy to understand words. Thanks.

- its depends on how each universe is created. Some people think they are being created and destroyed all the time so putting a number to them is impossible.
- there are 10 dimensions though some argue 11 www.youtube.com...
- there is no thickness between the dimensions. to be able to measure a thickness would require space time which would be another dimension.
- you need to create a worm hole and then stabilize it using anitmater.

edit on 12-7-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The topic said this - Ask any question you want about Physics. Those are my questions. I asked for his OPINION in those areas. Not for answers.

I didn't say you violated the topic. My point still stands. You know there are no answers to those questions and you know his opinion is therefore useless in the sense that you wouldn't learn any facts, so what's the point besides sarcasm?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperVizorr

Your point doesn't stand. The process of gaining a better understanding can come from understanding someone's opinion on any given subject matter. When a subject doesn't have any hard facts, speculation and discussion on opinion and personal interpretation is all that remain.
edit on 7/12/2014 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I think the poster above me gave a good example of what I was saying.

It's not that I have anything against learning or asking questions it's just that I picked up a certain vibe in the poster I responded too.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I've often wondered about the same things as well.

I've always thought there were an unlimited number of multiverses.

I've also heard the theory that universes are being created and destroyed all the time. I'm curious as to whether our universe feels the effects of the destruction of other universes.

I've also wondered if all the multiverses are connected somehow, and if so, is something being taken from ours each time another universe is created since energy can't be created or destroyed.

If there are ten dimensions, does each universe have ten dimensions?

edit on 7/12/2014 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

How many dimensions?
How thick(not the right word but you know what I mean) is the veil between dimensions?

Seeing how I posted a video about multiverse in the opening post, would it surprise you to learn I don't believe in that type of multiverse? Or more specifically, even if other universes do exist, it's a moot point because we don't have a way to know of their existence.

However, I don't have a closed mind, so if someone can show me definitive evidence of such a multiverse, I'm willing to look at the evidence. Also, the type of multiverse in the OP video which I don't believe isn't the only type (parallel universes). The type that seems more plausible to me is the type that considered there could be other universes beyond the observable universe we live in (and maybe other big bangs started those universes). That idea seems more plausible to me, because they are separate, and not stacked on top of each other like in the OP video.

But it's just an opinion and lacking any evidence doesn't mean much. My prediction is that we will never have conclusive evidence to confirm or deny these speculations, ever, but I could be wrong.
edit on 12-7-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I've also heard the theory that universes are being created and destroyed all the time. I'm curious as to whether our universe feels the effects of the destruction of other universes.

Some scientists claim to have found ripples that might be the effects of universes being created and destroyed but its not been proved 100%

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Do you believe that the universe is 'fine-tuned' and that it must therefore have a 'fine-tuner'?

The universe is indeed fine tuned in the fact if it was. Different we wouldnt be here. Did god do it well thats one possibility

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You seem very convinced that there is a multiverse in the fist place.

My idea would be to first establish the existence of such a thing, and then speculate about its amazing properties.

But that's just me.

Some of these questions are like asking how many Bigfoots sleep in one dwelling.

How are you supposed to know if you don't know if they really exist, and no way to study them?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

How many dimensions?

Use easy to understand words. Thanks.

- its depends on how each universe is created. Some people think they are being created and destroyed all the time so putting a number to them is impossible.
- there are 10 dimensions though some argue 11 www.youtube.com...
- there is no thickness between the dimensions. to be able to measure a thickness would require space time which would be another dimension.
- you need to create a worm hole and then stabilize it using anitmater.

Your actually confusing two different things multiverse and dimentions are not the same but can be used in the same theory such as p brains where each universe is contained in a higher dimension. This looks like what your descibing the more popular ideas however dont involve and dimesions.

They work on the theory of inflation and the other law of averages. Basically saying big bangs occur all the time or due to the vastness of space all possibilties occur somewhere.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I wouldn't say convinced. It's just something I've considered over the years.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

The universe inflating faster than the speed of light suggests to my uneducated mind that another dimension has entered our own and the microwave background is the signature of the energy released in the opening of the hole, not proof of the singularity in itself. With influx of new mater probably still entering our universe.

This explains why expansion is faster than light.

Am I stupid (be kind)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

Do you believe that the universe is 'fine-tuned' and that it must therefore have a 'fine-tuner'?

originally posted by: dragonridr
The universe is indeed fine tuned in the fact if it was. Different we wouldnt be here. Did god do it well thats one possibility
Some say that but this claim is disputed:

Disputes regarding the existence and extent of fine-tuning
To me it's a tautology that translates to:

"If the universe was different, it would be different."

That's not exactly a brilliant statement, but that's what this less than productive discussion boils down to.

How do we know that if the universe was different, that life might not evolve into silicon based life forms instead of carbon based life forms?

The fine-tuned Universe argument has also been criticized as an argument by lack of imagination, as it assumes no other forms of life, sometimes referred to as carbon chauvinism. Conceptually, alternative biochemistry or other forms of life are possible. Regarding this, Stenger argues: "We have no reason to believe that our kind of carbon-based life is all that is possible. Furthermore, modern cosmology theorises that multiple universes may exist with different constants and laws of physics. So, it is not surprising that we live in the one suited for us. The Universe is not fine-tuned to life; life is fine-tuned to the Universe."
The hypothesis that life is fine tuned for the universe is far more likely than the converse of that statement, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It's all good and insights can come through fantasy and speculation but just realize that most of these theories are based on virtually nothing or remotely related facts.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Awesome. Thank you. That gives me a little something to go googling around the internet with. The trouble is that all the sites on the internet use a whole lot of big science terminology and it would be great if someone could explain things in simple terms. You were helpful.
edit on 7/12/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperVizorr

My idea would be to first establish the existence of such a thing, and then speculate about its amazing properties.

If people never speculated on things they didn't know exist, it would be a very boring world. We'd also never get anywhere with scientific breakthrough. Higgs Boson comes to mind, off the top of my head, for an example.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
But it's just an opinion and lacking any evidence doesn't mean much.

No, that's perfect. I wanted your OPINION. You are well read in this area and so you could put it all together in your head and make an educated statement on what you think. And you could put it in a way that everyone can understand. That's great. My interest is in metaphysics so I can add your insight to what I read in that area. I need it explained in non-super-science terms. A lot of us do.
edit on 7/12/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
This explains why expansion is faster than light.

Am I stupid (be kind)
You're in good company actually in that not only are you confused, but even scientists and professors who write the textbooks have been confused on this topic and therefore since there is confusion even in the textbooks, how are non-scientists expected to sort this out?

Fortunately there is a paper on this topic which, as physics papers go is fairly easy reading, but it still requires a decent understanding of relativity to fully grasp it:

Expanding Confusion: common misconceptions of cosmological horizons and the superluminal expansion of the Universe

So if you can read that paper, it will even explain how some of the textbook authors have been confused by this topic, and written textbooks that were unclear, misleading, or in some cases maybe even wrong. If they can get it wrong, you certainly shouldn't feel bad about it.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join