It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Todd Akin Regrets Apology - Says Rape Victims DO "Shut Down" Pregnancy - Huckabee Supports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
So, Todd Akin is in the news again with the release of his new memoirs. In it, he says he was pressured by the "GOP bosses" to apologize for his previous statement that women who get raped can "shut down" getting pregnant, so abortion shouldn't be an option for them. Because if they got pregnant, they were obviously lying about being raped and it's not a "legitimate rape". He made a public apology at the time, but he now says he regrets that apology.

Akin says he lost his Senate seat to Dem. Claire McCaskill because of the attacks by Dems and Repubs about his comments. So, it wasn't because he SAID them, it's because he's a victim of the right and the left.

Two years after the Missouri Republican’s comments on rape, pregnancy and abortion doomed his campaign and fueled a “war on women” message that carried Democrats to victory in the Senate, one of the few regrets he mentions in a new book is the decision to air a campaign ad apologizing for his remarks.
Akin argues that he could have defeated Sen. Claire McCaskill in Missouri, despite his comments, if it weren’t for the piling on from both liberals and conservatives.

Politico

And now, just in time for the mid-term elections, he's rescinding his apology. And he has the support of Mike Huckabee, who wrote the foreword in Akin's new book.

Huckabee made his own icky Akin-like foray into the realm of women’s biology by claiming earlier this year that Democrats are the party of women who “cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government.”

Far from apologizing, Huckabee went out and raised money off the crude comment. Now he’s championing Akin as a martyr to the cowardly GOP leadership that’s afraid of frank talk about slutty women who can’t control their libidos, and cry “rape” instead of taking the consequences of their sluttiness.

Salon

So, is Akin to be praised for coming out about his false apology? Seeing that he wanted that Senate seat so badly that he lied to get it, I think not.

Poor Todd. He doesn’t want to take responsibility for a decision made in the heat of lust – lust for a Senate seat, in his case – so he’s claiming he was cruelly assaulted by party bosses and coerced into apologizing. It’s too bad his conscience didn’t have a way to shut that whole thing down.

edit on 7/11/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
But there IS no war on women, right??? I mean, these are just proper upstanding men who are 'splaining how the female body works. Anyone who claims "rape" and gets pregnant, well they must have secretly enjoyed it!!

Just because the FACTS say otherwise, doesn't mean they are WRONG!!! I mean its not like anyone actually STUDIES these things.../sarcasm

NIH - Source

Rape-related pregnancy: estimates and descriptive characteristics from a national sample of women.
Holmes MM1, Resnick HS, Kilpatrick DG, Best CL.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
We attempted to determine the national rape-related pregnancy rate and provide descriptive characteristics of pregnancies that result from rape.
STUDY DESIGN:
A national probability sample of 4008 adult American women took part in a 3-year longitudinal survey that assessed the prevalence and incidence of rape and related physical and mental health outcomes.
RESULTS:
The national rape-related pregnancy rate is 5.0% per rape among victims of reproductive age (aged 12 to 45); among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year. Among 34 cases of rape-related pregnancy, the majority occurred among adolescents and resulted from assault by a known, often related perpetrator. Only 11.7% of these victims received immediate medical attention after the assault, and 47.1% received no medical attention related to the rape. A total 32.4% of these victims did not discover they were pregnant until they had already entered the second trimester; 32.2% opted to keep the infant whereas 50% underwent abortion and 5.9% placed the infant for adoption; an additional 11.8% had spontaneous abortion.
CONCLUSIONS:
Rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency. It is a cause of many unwanted pregnancies and is closely linked with family and domestic violence. As we address the epidemic of unintended pregnancies in the United States, greater attention and effort should be aimed at preventing and identifying unwanted pregnancies that result from sexual victimization.

This is one bit of ignorance that ought to die now. Seriously.

peace,
AB

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Really? You dont think women have the ability to alter reality at their mere whim to stop themselves from getting pregnant? BS!!!!

I bet you think I cant stop a drunk driver from hitting me tonight on the way to work, or a random crack head from breaking into my home while I am gone as well.......Oh ya that is how reality works.

I cant stop a drunk driver hitting me on the way to work, I cant stop a random crack head breaking into my home while I am gone at work, and women cant decide if they get pregnant or not.

It is called science and logic, I suggest these idiot religious extremists look into the subject, since it has done way more for man than every God combined.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I couldn't even believe this moron could find a publisher for his memoirs. Then I looked it up and saw it was published by none other than WND Books, the publishing arm of World Net Daily.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

There is no "war on women" ##SNIPPED##
Sure there are idiots who make up their own facts as they go along, like those mentioned in the OP. But just because they did it, doesnt mean you get a free pass on lowering yourself to their level.

Women are pandered to nonstop all day every single day In America as a whole. Sure there are some who arent, but that is not even close to a small percentage.

Every woman I know, has a man that, opens their doors for them, carries all the heavy stuff every single time, does all the dirty work, has a harder job than she would ever do, and goes out of their way nonstop to impress them and do more for them than they expect.

Ya there is a "war on women" alright, it exists solely in the media's spin machine to drum up outrageous headlines to sell papers.

Please set the MSM kool-aid down and walk away.

edit on Fri Jul 11 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Facts, especially ones grounded in science, have a liberal bias.

Everybody knows that, jeeze. If he feels that women can't get pregnant as a result of rape, then by golly, science must be wrong. This guy is like a non-parody version of Stephen Colbert. It's amazing how un-funny it is when these guys are being serious.

(post by oblvion removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
While I appreciate the sarcasm, I think it may be lost on some.

I know there are many people who support Akin's far-right "no abortion/no birth control" agenda, but we're not likely to see their faces here. Akin's comments are too bold and brash (and stupid). They'd rather talk about murdering babies and women's sex lives than to let women make decisions about their own bodies.

Thanks for your input.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: oblvion

I'm not an idiot. Thanks. You can think whatever you like, however, and that is your stuff, not mine.

So in regards to personal insults, just please stop.

You've mentioned personal relationship details in relation to my statement regarding men who want to control women via policy and law, based on magical thinking that we can somehow control whether or not we get pregnant due to a rape.

I'm betting none of the people who make statements like Todd Akin have a clue that they are willing to craft legislation that is abusive to women - they secondarily victimize a woman that has been raped by claiming she must have enjoyed it.

I will grant you the term "War On Women" is a bit overly dramatic. There are many good and decent, hard working non-abusive and kind men in the world. Hopefully they can counter-act the actions of those lawmakers who would, consciously or unconsciously, abuse women with their ignorance and arrogance.

- AB

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Todd Akin is part of the new Republican outreach to women voters.
Actually, Todd Akin is part of the new Republican outreach to the Stepford Wives voters.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: oblvion
"Every woman I know, has a man that, opens their doors for them, carries all the heavy stuff every single time, does all the dirty work, has a harder job than she would ever do, and goes out of their way nonstop to impress them and do more for them than they expect."
War? What war? What do you say to women who recoil in disgust at what appears in your quote?
I think many women in 2014 don't need or want you as their protector.

edit on 11-7-2014 by Diderot because: all thumbs

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
And thats why the right wing cant have anything nice,'caveman mentality at its best.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What abou all the women who want to get pregnant but cant?
And goes to show you that a politician will give up what he truly belives in to get votes. If he believed in something so strongly why would he back down? What an idiot.

I really hope he doesn't get to much farther in life.

top topics

join