It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Jerusalem so important to the Christians?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Is not that christians don't really know about the religion, actually they know a lot about bible teachings because that were the christian religon is based on the teachings of the bible and the time of Jesus that's why is called "christianity" the believe in the Christ.

I know a lot of christians that will tell you that they don't need any other history but the one in their bibles.

And Please this is not a bashing of christian people.

Yes I know that you're not bashing Christians. But is knowing a lot only about the bible a good thing? Sure, it's a start but not enough. It seems to me the more you know about all things the better you can understand the one thing you are really interested in. If you walk around with blinders on and only study the words in the bible, you are missing out on a LOT about Christianity. Once you learn about the politics, economics, culture of the people who wrote and rewrote the bible etc., then you will really learn something. Thats what real knowledge and understanding about any subject is. But, I'm digressing off topic.

I'm still not sure that Jerusalem is really that critically central to the Christian religion.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
Jerusalem is important to three major religions: Jewish, Muslim, and Christian...

But why is Jerusalem so important to Christians? Was it because it was Jesus� stomping grounds? Or because Gogatha is there? Or is it just "Bibleland" with some religously important attractions but no one single very important site in particular?

Yes because Golgotha is there, and supposedly the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the first in Jerusalem and construced in 325CE supposedly covers the site of both Golgotha(Calveary) and the cave where Christ was buried. However, There is a second place contending for that burial site as well; The Garden Tomb.

Abraham, Issac and Jacob are said to be buried in Hebron on the west bank, at a place called Ma'arat HaMachpala or the Machpala Cave. Soloman and David are supposedly under the temple ruins, where the Al Aqsa Mosque, and is also assumed to be the place where Abraham was to sacrifice Issac. As well, this site, Mt. Moriah, is supposedly where the underworld and upper world intersects; the mouth of the serpent Tahum.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
what amazes me is that you know this topic is specifically for christians beliefs yet you go and say Jesus wasn't the messiah.

Do not attempt to exclude me from this conversation.

1. There is no Supreme Christian Council that establishes christian dogma. Some perfectly christian churches reject the tri-partite division of the godhead and thus the 'divinity' of jesus
  2. The messiah was -supposed- to be a jewish military leader who would organize a resistance against foreign oppression in the israeli/judean kingdom/state, -not- the son of god nor even a prophet
  3. Therefore stateing that just because a line refers to the 'messiah' does not mean it necessarily apply to jesus
  4. Non-christians certainly would be allowed to participate in a discussion about christianity
  5. You have no idea who I am, what I beleive in or what religion I do or do not affiliate and those matters are entirely irrelevant to this discussion
  6. If you want to have a discussion with people whom you consider as meeting whatever idiosyncratic definiton of 'christian' you have then I suggest you go to a forum made and maintained for and by christians who met such definition
  7. Finally, I do not care what you have to say about whether I am allowed to participate in any discussion or not nor do I care if your religious sensibilities have been 'offended'

Why is it that everyone on this board feels that christianity needs to be bashed? It's annoying, so please stop.

Pointing out that there is a difference between the Jewish scriptures on what the messiah/military leader would be and what most people interpret jesus as is hardly bashing christianity, and more important its not a lie, so there is no reason to not talk about it.

justanotherperson
Jerusalem was and still is today the seat of government for the region.

Actually, Tel Aviv was the Capital of Israel as the UN and world envisioned it, and indeed it was the capital for a while. But if by the 'region' you mean the middle east, or even the smaller subset of the 'levant' (say, isreal, lebanon and syria) then its certainly not the poltical/governemental capital.

As far as 'religious' capital, it has no ruling bodies in it and simply isn't the actual 'capital' of any religion, in say the way the vatican is, or mecca can be or, say, Jerusalem when The Temple was there. Ever sincethe destruction of The Temple the jews have had to worhsip in 'synagoges' talked to by Rabbis, not Temple Preists. Originally there was one temple for all the jews, The Temple, and it was attended to by Preists, so back then I'd say jerusalem was the 'Capital of Judaism' but without the temple i'd say that its not even that now.

jupiter89
Why is the Temple of Solomon so important to Christians?

It looks like some are saying its important because its rebuilding will signal the end of the world and the second comming of jesus. As for why its the signal, thats got to be because christianity was really messianic judaism. That and that there are numerous sites associated with pivitol points in the jesus story.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

what amazes me is that you know this topic is specifically for christians beliefs yet you go and say Jesus wasn't the messiah.

Do not attempt to exclude me from this conversation.

1. There is no Supreme Christian Council that establishes christian dogma. Some perfectly christian churches reject the tri-partite division of the godhead and thus the 'divinity' of jesus
  2. The messiah was -supposed- to be a jewish military leader who would organize a resistance against foreign oppression in the israeli/judean kingdom/state, -not- the son of god nor even a prophet
  3. Therefore stateing that just because a line refers to the 'messiah' does not mean it necessarily apply to jesus
  4. Non-christians certainly would be allowed to participate in a discussion about christianity
  5. You have no idea who I am, what I beleive in or what religion I do or do not affiliate and those matters are entirely irrelevant to this discussion
  6. If you want to have a discussion with people whom you consider as meeting whatever idiosyncratic definiton of 'christian' you have then I suggest you go to a forum made and maintained for and by christians who met such definition
  7. Finally, I do not care what you have to say about whether I am allowed to participate in any discussion or not nor do I care if your religious sensibilities have been 'offended'

Why is it that everyone on this board feels that christianity needs to be bashed? It's annoying, so please stop.

Pointing out that there is a difference between the Jewish scriptures on what the messiah/military leader would be and what most people interpret jesus as is hardly bashing christianity, and more important its not a lie, so there is no reason to not talk about it.

justanotherperson
Jerusalem was and still is today the seat of government for the region.

Actually, Tel Aviv was the Capital of Israel as the UN and world envisioned it, and indeed it was the capital for a while. But if by the 'region' you mean the middle east, or even the smaller subset of the 'levant' (say, isreal, lebanon and syria) then its certainly not the poltical/governemental capital.

As far as 'religious' capital, it has no ruling bodies in it and simply isn't the actual 'capital' of any religion, in say the way the vatican is, or mecca can be or, say, Jerusalem when The Temple was there. Ever sincethe destruction of The Temple the jews have had to worhsip in 'synagoges' talked to by Rabbis, not Temple Preists. Originally there was one temple for all the jews, The Temple, and it was attended to by Preists, so back then I'd say jerusalem was the 'Capital of Judaism' but without the temple i'd say that its not even that now.

jupiter89
Why is the Temple of Solomon so important to Christians?

It looks like some are saying its important because its rebuilding will signal the end of the world and the second comming of jesus. As for why its the signal, thats got to be because christianity was really messianic judaism. That and that there are numerous sites associated with pivitol points in the jesus story.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Nygdan]

Actually i have no problem with you posting inside this thread, but instead you are trying to steer it off topic by saying that the Christian religion is a falacy. And about the Christian religions that don't believe in the trinity, im sure there are, but there are NONE that believe Jesus wasn't the messaih, as if there was by definition alone, they wouldn't be christian. They may call themselves Christian, but by the definition of Christianity, they AREN'T. Basically what i was saying is someone is asking about Christianity, not for your point of view on whether or not Jesus was the messiah, and beyond that, Jesus is a military leader, who will free us all from the tyranny of evil, during his second coming, as he said it would happen. He is not the Military leader of Israel, but of Heaven. But back to this topic as it pretains to the original question, and christianity. Not Judaism, muslim, hindu, or any other religion. Because of you read this topic you will see that he NEVER says give me your take on whether Jesus was the messaih or not, or what you believe. He asks for an answer about Jerusalem and Christianity, it doesn't matter who answers as long as you give him an honest answer, not your oppinions.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Actually i have no problem with you posting inside this thread, but instead you are trying to steer it off topic by saying that the Christian religion is a falacy. And about the Christian religions that don't believe in the trinity, im sure there are, but there are NONE that believe Jesus wasn't the messaih, as if there was by definition alone, they wouldn't be christian. They may call themselves Christian, but by the definition of Christianity, they AREN'T. Basically what i was saying is someone is asking about Christianity, not for your point of view on whether or not Jesus was the messiah, and beyond that, Jesus is a military leader, who will free us all from the tyranny of evil, during his second coming, as he said it would happen. He is not the Military leader of Israel, but of Heaven. But back to this topic as it pretains to the original question, and christianity. Not Judaism, muslim, hindu, or any other religion. Because of you read this topic you will see that he NEVER says give me your take on whether Jesus was the messaih or not, or what you believe. He asks for an answer about Jerusalem and Christianity, it doesn't matter who answers as long as you give him an honest answer, not your oppinions.

I appreciate your response. It's amazing how people turn anything into an opportunity to bash. So much anger and hatred. It's amazing to me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join