It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Jerusalem so important to the Christians?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Jerusalem is important to three major religions: Jewish, Muslim, and Christian.

I know that for the Jews, Jerusalem is the site of the Wailing Wall, which was part of the Temple of Soloman where the Ten Commandments were kept until they were taken away for safe keeping to Africa. (But that�s a different story.)

I know that the angel Gabriel brought Mohammad to the Temple of Soloman then Mount of Olives before taking him to see Jesus Christ who told Mohammad that He was going to make Mohammad his �mouthpiece� and speak through him conveying the text of the Koran.

But why is Jerusalem so important to Christians? Was it because it was Jesus� stomping grounds? Or because Gogatha is there? Or is it just "Bibleland" with some religously important attractions but no one single very important site in particular?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
But why is Jerusalem so important to Christians?

I don't know. Why?

I guess it's not important to all Christians.

Was it because it was Jesus� stomping grounds? Or because Gogatha is there?

Jesus went lots of places in Israel but don't know of much of a point visiting since he said "My kingdom is not of this earth."

Or is it just "Bibleland" with some religously important attractions but no one single very important site in particular?

Kind of like Memphis. My grandmother was a big Elvis fan!

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I know that the angel Gabriel brought Mohammad to the Temple of Soloman then Mount of Olives before taking him to see Jesus Christ who told Mohammad that He was going to make Mohammad his �mouthpiece� and speak through him conveying the text of the Koran.

Fullstop.

Mohammed ascended into heaven at the Temple of the Golden Dome, which is why jerusalem is important to muslims. He received his visions and prophecy in arabia and never claimed to have met jesus as god

But why is Jerusalem so important to Christians?

Jesus is supposed to have been crucified there, and also since christianity directly buds off judaism, its was important to the early church and whatnot.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Mohammed ascended into heaven at the Temple of the Golden Dome, which is why jerusalem is important to muslims. He received his visions and prophecy in arabia and never claimed to have met jesus as god

Just as a further clarification, it is the Dome on the Rock (the dome is silver, not "golden") which is located exactly where the poster said: at the Mount of Olives, which for Christians is also known as Gethsemane. Further, Mohammad did receive his orative communication through Christ as "His mouthpiece" which is of course the content of the Koran.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The reason for what I know is historical, all three religions, we have a very good conoseour of historical facts about religion but he has not been in ATS lately his name is Amadeus.

If he happends to be around and see this thread he probably will give you a better answer to your question.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bootlug
Further, Mohammad did receive his orative communication through Christ as "His mouthpiece" which is of course the content of the Koran.

Really? I don't understand. Muslims generally feel that christ was a prophet who was not actually crucified, not that he was god. I don't understand, do you have a verse or somethign I can look at?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The "Mount of Olives" is where Christ will return to end the complete destruction of Man by man. It is sacred because it is THE most "Holy" land, place, on the planet. It is also where the Third temple will be built as soon as the true "abomination" (the dome thing) is destroyed. Under that "dome" is where Abraham almost sacrificed Issac. Muslim claims are basically a complete "LIE". The dome was built many, many, many years after Mohamed crawled this earth.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
The "Mount of Olives" is where Christ will return to end the complete destruction of Man by man. It is sacred because it is THE most "Holy" land, place, on the planet. It is also where the Third temple will be built as soon as the true "abomination" (the dome thing) is destroyed. Under that "dome" is where Abraham almost sacrificed Issac. Muslim claims are basically a complete "LIE". The dome was built many, many, many years after Mohamed crawled this earth.

C'mon Doc, you're going to have to produce some kind of proof for this. I've never found anywhere in the bible that has any sort of reference as to exactly where Abraham was. Nor have I ever read anywhere in Revalations about exaclty where christ is to return. Whatcha got? Sources?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragn

The \"Mount of Olives\" is where Christ will return to end the complete destruction of Man by man. It is sacred because it is THE most \"Holy\" land, place, on the planet. It is also where the Third temple will be built as soon as the true \"abomination\" (the dome thing) is destroyed. Under that \"dome\" is where Abraham almost sacrificed Issac. Muslim claims are basically a complete \"LIE\". The dome was built many, many, many years after Mohamed crawled this earth.

C\'mon Doc, you\'re going to have to produce some kind of proof for this. I\'ve never found anywhere in the bible that has any sort of reference as to exactly where Abraham was. Nor have I ever read anywhere in Revalations about exaclty where christ is to return. Whatcha got? Sources?

Zec 14:4 On that day his feet shall stand on the Mount of Olives which lies before Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives shall be split in two from east to west by a very wide valley; so that one half of the Mount shall withdraw northward, and the other half southward.

Link about Abraham
www.rc.net...

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Zec 14:4 On that day his feet shall stand on the Mount of Olives which lies before Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives shall be split in two from east to west by a very wide valley; so that one half of the Mount shall withdraw northward, and the other half southward.

Link about Abraham
www.rc.net...

I stand corrected. Didn't think about the prophecies of Zechariah. Not sure exactly why, since this is one of the most talked about books in the bible.

Still not sure about how "Mori'ah, and offer him there as a burnt offering upon one of the mountains of which I shall tell you" turned into the Mt of Olives, but neither can I dispute it

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I must agree I find it "interesting" if true. Been researching this for some time now. The data is based on "stories" passed down in the area. But there is some archeological data, will try to find and pass along.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
because God said in the bible he would return to Jeruselem, and give em the land back

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
So much hatred and death for Jeruselem. Who would want it?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   

The "Mount of Olives" is where Christ will return to end the complete destruction of Man by man. It is sacred because it is THE most "Holy" land, place, on the planet.

Really? How is 'holyness' measured?

It is also where the Third temple will be built as soon as the true "abomination" (the dome thing) is destroyed. Under that "dome" is where Abraham almost sacrificed Issac.
Abraham decided to murder his son on a mountain top, not in jerusalem.

Muslim claims are basically a complete "LIE". The dome was built many, many, many years after Mohamed crawled this earth.

They claim different?

Zec 14:4

This isn';t about jesus, its about the jewish messiah no? And not his 'second comming' but his first no?

It is built over the rock on the Temple Mount where it was believed that Abraham was prepared to sacrifice his son Isaac in obedience to the command of the Lord (Gen. 22)

Gen 22 does not say this. It says in teh relevant portion

kjv
get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

The "Mount of Olives" is where Christ will return to end the complete destruction of Man by man. It is sacred because it is THE most "Holy" land, place, on the planet.

Well, the holiest of holy places on the planet earth is an opinion of one person. Other religions would naturally, of course, dispute that.

It's interesting to me how little Christians really know about their own religion.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by jupiter869]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

It is also where the Third temple will be built as soon as the true "abomination" (the dome thing) is destroyed. Under that "dome" is where Abraham almost sacrificed Issac.

Abraham decided to murder his son on a mountain top, not in jerusalem.

Muslim claims are basically a complete "LIE". The dome was built many, many, many years after Mohamed crawled this earth.

They claim different?

Zec 14:4

This isn';t about jesus, its about the jewish messiah no? And not his 'second comming' but his first no?

It is built over the rock on the Temple Mount where it was believed that Abraham was prepared to sacrifice his son Isaac in obedience to the command of the Lord (Gen. 22)

Gen 22 does not say this. It says in teh relevant portion

kjv
get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of

what amazes me is that you know this topic is specifically for christians beliefs yet you go and say Jesus wasn't the messiah. Talk about arrogance. Why is it that everyone on this board feels that christianity needs to be bashed? It's annoying, so please stop. Now, if you read Revelation you will see why it is so important to us Christians. Specifically the building of the Temple of Solomon. Other than that, we aren't going to fight for it as our homeland. That is all i have to say.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Now, if you read Revelation you will see why it is so important to us Christians. Specifically the building of the Temple of Solomon. Other than that, we aren't going to fight for it as our homeland. That is all i have to say.

I guess this is really the crux of the question. Why is the Temple of Solomon so important to Christians? Is it that Christianity stemmed from Judiasm?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Jerusalem was and still is today the seat of government for the region. It is the crossroads out post where merchants would sell their wares. I don't see any religious significance for the city.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

It's interesting to me how little Christians really know about their own religion.

What are you basing this assertion on?

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Is not that christians don't really know about the religion, actually they know a lot about bible teachings because that were the christian religon is based on the teachings of the bible and the time of Jesus that's why is called "christianity" the believe in the Christ.

I know a lot of christians that will tell you that they don't need any other history but the one in their bibles.

And Please this is not a bashing of christian people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join