It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Products made from OIL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
With all of the Middle East about to explode right now, it got me thinking about where does the fight for control of the World's Oil come into this? Then I thought "what do we really need Oil for anyway? Oil is used to make tires and the roads, right? Wrong!!!!!!! Oil is used to make so many products we use in our daily lives it's mind boggling.........! It's even used to make such things as toothbrushes and toothpaste.....! Here's the complete list:

Products Made From Oil

Clothing Ink
Heart Valves
Crayons
Parachutes
Telephones
Enamel
Transparent tape
Antiseptics
Vacuum bottles
Deodorant
Pantyhose
Rubbing Alcohol
Carpets
Epoxy paint
Oil filters
Upholstery
Hearing Aids
Car sound insulation
Cassettes
Motorcycle helmets
Pillows
Shower doors
Shoes
Refrigerator linings
Electrical tape
Safety glass
Awnings
Salad bowl
Rubber cement
Nylon rope
Ice buckets
Fertilizers
Hair coloring
Toilet seats
Denture adhesive
Loudspeakers
Movie film
Fishing boots
Candles
Water pipes
Car enamel
Shower curtains
Credit cards
Aspirin
Golf balls
Detergents
Sunglasses
Glue
Fishing rods
Linoleum
Plastic wood
Soft contact lenses
Trash bags
Hand lotion
Shampoo
Shaving cream
Footballs
Paint brushes
Balloons
Fan belts
Umbrellas
Paint Rollers
Luggage
Antifreeze
Model cars
Floor wax
Sports car bodies
Tires
Dish washing liquids
Unbreakable dishes
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Combs
Tents
Hair curlers
Lipstick
Ice cube trays
Electric blankets
Tennis rackets
Drinking cups
House paint
Rollerskates wheels
Guitar strings
Ammonia
Eyeglasses
Ice chests
Life jackets
TV cabinets
Car battery cases
Insect repellent
Refrigerants
Typewriter ribbons
Cold cream
Glycerin
Plywood adhesive
Cameras
Anesthetics
Artificial turf
Artificial Limbs
Bandages
Dentures
Mops
Beach Umbrellas
Ballpoint pens
Boats
Nail polish
Golf bags
Caulking
Tape recorders
Curtains
Vitamin capsules
Dashboards
Putty
Percolators
Skis
Insecticides
Fishing lures
Perfumes
Shoe polish
Petroleum jelly
Faucet washers
Food preservatives
Antihistamines
Cortisone
Dyes
LP records
Solvents
Roofing

With a list like this can we ever end our dependence on Oil?

Source:
www.anwr.org...

answers.yahoo.com...
edit on 9-7-2014 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
The non fuel use of oil is about 5% of the total use, most of what you listed are polymers that can be replaced by ones produced by crops, not cheaper or better but can be done.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
The non fuel use of oil is about 5% of the total use, most of what you listed are polymers that can be replaced by ones produced by crops, not cheaper or better but can be done.

Most, if not all of the polymers can be replaced with hemp seed oil. Yes, it will be more expensive. We may have to sacrifice a lot of cheap plastic crap. God forbid.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

There is also the problem you need to replace land that is used for food for crops to make polymers, that is a big problem

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

There is also the problem you need to replace land that is used for food for crops to make polymers, that is a big problem

Maybe if people used their manicured green lawns to grow vegetables it would buffer the conundrum a bit. The sooner society weens itself a bit from the black-gold teat, the better.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   

If you plant crops in your lawn, you might grow food to feed yourselves, but you end up depleting the soil of nutrients and you change an already established ecosystem. A lot of organisms live in lawns, eat the grass, rely on the protection it provides... You'd change the natural soil fungi (which would not originally be suited for most crops, so that'll take time too...) You'd need to fertilize your land, spray pesticides if you want to dependably and reliably have food... Then you get runoff of excess fertilizer, then you must worry about hypertrophication... We also have to worry about soil erosion... compaction... possible flash floods.
I get your point though, and I hope I haven't seemed too... offensive. I merely wanted to flesh out the idea. And I agree, alternatives to oil are important. All I ask is that we take some time and think about what effects our actions might have.
It's not thinking about how our actions play out that gets us into trouble more often than not.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: hydeman11

If you plant crops in your lawn, you might grow food to feed yourselves, but you end up depleting the soil of nutrients and you change an already established ecosystem. A lot of organisms live in lawns, eat the grass, rely on the protection it provides... You'd change the natural soil fungi (which would not originally be suited for most crops, so that'll take time too...) You'd need to fertilize your land, spray pesticides if you want to dependably and reliably have food... Then you get runoff of excess fertilizer, then you must worry about hypertrophication... We also have to worry about soil erosion... compaction... possible flash floods.
I get your point though, and I hope I haven't seemed too... offensive. I merely wanted to flesh out the idea. And I agree, alternatives to oil are important. All I ask is that we take some time and think about what effects our actions might have.
It's not thinking about how our actions play out that gets us into trouble more often than not.

Goats and chickens only eat the weeds and insects we have no use for and replace it with fertilizer. Petroleum is a valuable commodity, but the idea that we can't feed ourselves without it is not the fact of the matter.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

I think that was more of a reference to the idea that "there's ground outside my front door, maybe we can just grow my food there". Nothing about needing petroleum to grow food.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
while i like the idea that we all become farmers and give the grocery store a big middle finger i dont see it happening too soon. you will see crops like hemp and corn grown outside for fuel and polymers while food crops are going to start moving into indoor aquaponic and hydroponic multi floored set ups. japan has been working on these and is at the forefront of low input/high yield crops at the moment with LED tech and just amazing engineering. massive indoor food factories are a very plausible and smart idea that i for one hope we see soon.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Howdy,

Don't get me wrong. I never said oil was necessary for anything other than our current standard of living (in fact, I never made any claim about the necessity of oil, but I am indeed sorry if you inferred such from my statements). Natural fertilizer, manure, still produces nutrient runoff. (It was unchecked fertilizer use that caused the dead-zone in the Chesapeake Bay.) We, as humans, didn't think about that. Killing/consuming any insects (and why should we only keep the insects around that we need, even if you claim were true? What about those that other organisms rely on to live, as well?) still has an affect on established ecosystems. I'm not saying we shouldn't get away from oil, all I'm saying is that no one solution will come about and each solution hypothesized will have with it own set of detrimental effects. Those effects are all I wanted to mention.
(Side note, I'd really rather not use chicken manure for it's high nitrogen content... Much more than necessary for most plants...)

Cheers

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Well, that's good to know. The thought of putting some of this stuff in or on my body is disheartening to say the least. Thanks for your input.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This just shows how deeply rooted the petro dollar is in our economies. What will I do with no more cheap plastic disposable objects that just end up in the ocean or buried in the ground wrapped in more plastic.

we have solutions for every single one of those listed items. Petroleum should of been.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

LOL

Why make a list of what's made of oil, just make a short list of what isn't

2 things or so

like rice or something LOL

new topics

top topics

join