It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marketing Coincidences

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Infinitis

We don't have Xbox or any other device that could be linked to it other than the phone in my pocket, that's why it's creepy. I only access FB through my phone browser, so I don't know if that means I have the FB app. All I know is I spoke with a room mate about a specific product and the next day it was advertised to me, specifically by brand name. That's weird, and too coincidental seeing as I've NEVER received router advertising before. (yes i pay attention to the FB suggested ads, usually they suggest what I SEARCH!)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Infinitis

It's just creative marketing, not a coincidence or a conspiracy.... the things they can do with computers these days...

I really don't believe in coincidences myself. I thought about putting quotation marks around the word when I started the thread

I'm not too worried about the situation personally, but my girlfriend is. I assume that everything I do is being recorded, but it's still stunning that marketers are able to advertise products that were discussed only in face-to-face conversations.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Facebook, Google, Apple, and others can use your phones microphone for product research. Additionally, if you scanned any items in your phone with a QR code in those stores it could trigger getting an email. the QR code most often contains a link to a webpage for product information, but that webpage can query your phone for things like email information (or a name and link it to an existing consumer database if not) and then send you ad's from there. My first assumption would be your Facebook apps and such are simply listening in (which you give them permission to do in the EULA), but my second assumption is that you used the phone for something like a QR code to get product information.

GPS tracking while possible is unlikely, you would get many more emails than you do if it were being done by GPS as every time you're in the vicinity of a store (with a participating system) it would be triggered. For the most part this information hasn't yet been commercialized, but it will be eventually.

Next time try this: Take the batteries out of your cell phones (they will still listen while turned off) and then have a discussion and go shopping. If you bought a phone that you can't take the battery out of, leave it at home.
edit on 13-7-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join