It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advantages/Disadvantages of a purge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
If you haven't seen the movie, "the purge" is a fictional movie set in the future tense in America. The purge is a twelve hour period per year in which every crime is legal (everything between stealing a candy bar to rape and murder.)

In the movie the crime rate has shrunk to an all time low because of the purge. (I'm guessing they don't count crimes during the purge?)

The movie is pretty good, and I just learned from an ATS ad that they're about to release a sequel. Looks pretty boss, brah!

So I wanna know, what would be your stance on a "purge?"
Lower crime rate vs possibly being murdered on the biggest holiday since Christmas?
Or the regular crime rate, vs not having to buy renters insurance because my TV might get stolen..

edit on 4-7-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
You got a link, bra? a reply to: rockintitz

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
A purge in real life similar to the movie "The Purge: Anarchy" would lead to a downfall of civilization as we know it. We would be reduced to being like animals. If Man had entertained such a barbaric situation, we should just hand the world back to Nature. This is a movie I would not see in theatres. It's nothing more than a gore fest.

edit on 4-7-2014 by RossWellOldMexico because: correct grammar

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: RossWellOldMexico

We have elements in the American society that don't want order, they want disorder in that makes it easy for them to slide through society taking what they want. Let a purge to happen one day, and the next it would be commonplace for many as an adopted way of life. We see it more and more these days in far less violent activities by those that have no respect for themselves or the country as a living, breathing entity. A very stupid premise for a movie, but it is only a movie, yet if it feeds a general malaise or dissatisfaction it maybe should not be.

Sometimes, I think that there should be a censoring board for movies and TV with one simple rule: What is the value of this product in general, good for humanity or bad. (Note, I did not say limit that to being only "good for America.")

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
You really think a purge once a year would make no crime happen on any other day of the year?
Yeah right.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The first time someone took a tank to a bank vault or hacks a bank computer would be the end of the Purge. Governments won't mind if we kill each other, but they won't allow stealing from banks.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Just think about the end of the first film for a moment. If you haven't seen it, then SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER.

Remember Ethan Hawke's wife sitting at the table with the neighbors that just tried to kill her and her entire family because they had a nicer house.

It is a perfect example of the biggest flaw in a purge. Which is that if you happen to survive the night, you are probably going to know what your friends and neighbors were up to the night before. And you still have to look at them the rest of the year, knowing what kind of people they really are.

And you could never really trust anyone ever again. Not even your closest family. Piss off your wife, she might wait for next year's purge and pop you in the head with a revolver. Teenage son or daughter can't stand you anymore, they might murder you in your sleep.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The very fact that someone is asking this question along with a sequel having being made shows just how disgusting and barbarous this society is.

No benefits, none, not even one

Rape, murder, I presume this means child molesters/rapists get to do what they want too, right? How could this be a good thing?

This would not happen though, you see the first people to be killed would be the politicians, the bankers, the rich etc..... they know this

I haven't watched either movie and I refuse too. Sure it is nice to get your anger and frustration out but this is beyond the pale. I use to think movies did not hurt society, I scoffed when NBK came out and the seniors freaked, now 20 years later, 12? Saws, Two Purges, Movies about sewing people together and having them defecate in each others mouths, two or three underground torturous movies in which high society individuals can torture others for fun as long as they pay, and on and on and our society has gone only down hill. Look at the news lately? You can pick your choices for best new idea for a horror screenplay straight out of the news. People are getting off on this crap and that is freaking weird.

Again, not one benefit to allowing ourselves and others to lose our humanity, not one, for even one night.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: brandiwine14
Not that it matters but people used to attend public executions to taunt jeer and throw things at the intended victim. People cheering on brutality is nothing new. We are no more and no less violent than we ever were throughout recorded history. There are just more people and deadlier weapons.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
For one thing, and I'm not sure that anyone else has directly addressed it, in order to have a society that could successfully adapt to having a "purge," you are implying that you have a society with a LOT of self-control because almost everyone who wants to commit a crime is supposed to be able to wait until "Christmas" so to speak, that one day every year when they can indulge.

Given our current, increasingly narcissistic, if it feels good do it society that prizes instant gratification, there is no way people could do that.

Most people get ticked off at the checkout counter at McD's if it takes too long. Some people will call 911 these days if they feel abused there, but they're going to wait all year to carry out that legal crime instead of doing whenever and wherever they have the urge?

Uh-huh ... tell me another.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yeah at first I thought that maybe an idea like that could work but watching the first movie again with my Uncle and having the discussion about it. It would only make the criminals more brazen to say hey if I can get away with it this day why can't I get away with it 3 weeks from now. why wait a year. and also getting rid of the homeless would not drop the unemployment rate to 1%.

Do people agree that at least for the first movie it is about a morality issue right?? that the boy was seeing that there was something wrong with this, and then asking his parents "why don't you purge" and then the homeless man saving the family who I didn't know until my uncle pointed out to me that he was military with the dog tags.

And then in the preview for the second movie they have these people dressed up bidding on people to hunt.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: AliensunI live in Canada, where we have healthcare, gun control and racial tolerance towards one another. A pruge in my country would never happen in a million years because we have social mechanisms in place to prevent such chaotic behavior and civil discourse. It's not a utopia here in Canada, but we have a level of standards and respect. You're right the movie is a stupid premise. But. it's sad to see a movie sensationalize gore and violence to sell tickets to the box office.

top topics

join