It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poisoning Feral Pigs With Sodium Nitrite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Feral hogs are a problem in many areas. They cause billions of dollars of crop damage. Apparently sodium nitrite, a common preservative, is highly toxic to them. Pigs have huge livers and are very difficult to poison. I have seen one drink diesel like it was nectar. I will miss them if they are exterminated. They are a common part of my diet. I dread the idea, but I may have to roll back on the bacon.
I have the head of this 500 lb beast mounted on the wall.

Here a link to the article.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I love the feral hog problem.

I haven't been hunting in awhile. I need to get back out there.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
If only they understood our economy. I like pigs, they're curios, bright and totally stupid all in the same moment. They remind me so much of my own species
With the livers they have, if we can get them hooked on booze (they're smart enough) And find a way to extract taxes, well....But then again, if they're pissin us off now, they'd be pure hell drunk. Sorry, I'm in a save the world mode at the moment and the Pig seemed a great ambassador.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Can't you create humane traps using large cages hidden underground? There's a trapdoor that falls down once the critter is inside. I understand they have sharp tusks and can chew through some metals, but would this work?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell
We make cage traps. They don't have to be buried. What do you do with one once you've trapped it? In this neck of the woods they get barbecued.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Can't you create humane traps using large cages hidden underground? There's a trapdoor that falls down once the critter is inside. I understand they have sharp tusks and can chew through some metals, but would this work?

I guess you can trap them. i have seen folks who run hunting ranches trapping them. And people on TV.

But you're still gonna have to kill it somehow. Or i guess you can relocate your problem to someone else's county. LOL.

smoked with a good molasses bbq sauce...why would anyone want to let one go?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

might as well eat them

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
You gave me quite an image.
Feeding hogs ammonium nitrate and letting them wash it down with diesel fuel.
Can you say IED?
BOOM, Pig parts every where and pre-cooked bacon.

a reply to: skunkape23

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I'd like to breed wolves and pitbulls until I could get the right genetic mixture where the wolf has more of a pitbull look. But the pitbull has the intelligence of a wolf mixed with the domestic personality of a pitbull.

Therefore creating the ultimate pet,hunter,killer. Cause you know the pit in that wolf is going to give them wild pigs hell when it comes to taking them down. And i want to do that for a living.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It looks to me like that hog (and all wild ones for that matter) have a severe case of acute lead deficiency.

Let me know if you need any help with the...umm...treatment.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Beartracker16
Can you say IED?

Pig bombs...that would be a true weapon of terror. I believe it's ammonium nitrate, however, that is the stuff that goes boom. Sodium nitrite is fairly inert as far as I'm aware. Still, it does paint an image.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: XsweetNspiceyX

I'd like to breed wolves and pitbulls until I could get the right genetic mixture where the wolf has more of a pitbull look. But the pitbull has the intelligence of a wolf mixed with the domestic personality of a pitbull.

Therefore creating the ultimate pet,hunter,killer. Cause you know the pit in that wolf is going to give them wild pigs hell when it comes to taking them down. And i want to do that for a living.

I know a guy that hunts them with a pair of pits, not really all that big, and a knife. One dog latches onto the hogs snout, the other grabs a rear leg. Then he comes in for the kill. It seems more brutal and dangerous than is necessary, to me, but you have to admit it is pretty cool in a hardcore kind of way. I'll stick with a gun.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: Beartracker16
Can you say IED?

Pig bombs...that would be a true weapon of terror. I believe it's ammonium nitrate, however, that is the stuff that goes boom. Sodium nitrite is fairly inert as far as I'm aware. Still, it does paint an image.

I've played just enough Call of Duty to wonder what the Noob Tube would do to a larger group.

you can get a lease to shoot down on them from a helicopter with a machine gun. I think the one i saw was for an M-60. Being a guy who prefers to eat what I kill, that isn't really my cup of tea. Respecting life and all that.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
And people wonder where PED came from ...

Maybe we should deport them to the ME? No?

These things are a serious pest all over the world. There's apparently a group that runs the bombing range at Ft. Riley. I'm sure there's the occasional pig part shower over there.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Why not just make hunting legal?

What a waste and pretty cruel way for these animals to go.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Why not just make hunting legal?

Hunting them is legal. No permit is required. There is no bag limit. There are even people that get paid to exterminate them. They are
breeding faster than hunters are shooting them. According to what I read the sodium nitrite doesn't cause much suffering. It causes their blood to stop absorbing oxygen and they faint and then eventually die. I do agree that it's a waste of a lot of good meat.

edit on 1-7-2014 by skunkape23 because: c

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Well I guess I can understand why many people don't want to hunt them. Most people are cowards and hogs are dangerous game to hunt. Many "hunters" are the type that have those feeders out and just sit there and wait.

Hogs on the other hand are far smarter and very dangerous.

I wouldn't personally want to hunt them for that reason.

They were never a problem where I used to live because there were Mexicans we'd always hear trespassing in woods. No one bothered them because I guess they kept the problem at bay. You could always hear them speaking spanish and yelling and hog sounds.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Hogs on the other hand are far smarter and very dangerous.

That is very true. I know a guy that nearly bled to death after getting his thigh gored. I've seen them hurt some tough dogs pretty bad, too. They are typically evasive, but occasionally you get one with an attitude. You better be ready to shoot or get up a tree real fast.

top topics

join