It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Employment Growth Since 2000 Went to Immigrants

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Government data show that since 2000 all of the net gain in the number of working-age (16 to 65) people
holding a job has gone to immigrants (legal and illegal).

All Employment Growth Since 2000 Went to Immigrants

I personally have no problem with this, but I still found it shocking.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The Center for Immigration Studies is one of several interconnected anti-immigration organizations founded by white supremacist and eugenicist, John Tanton.

CIS (Center for Immigration Studies)
FAIR (Federation for American Immigration Reform)
NumbersUSA
ProjectUSA

Look it up, there's a few threads on ATS about him I'm sure.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
What state do you live in?
We will be happy to send you as many illegals as it takes until it does matter to you.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: nfflhome
We will be happy to send you as many illegals as it takes until it does matter to you.

You don't have to send him any. ICE is making sure each state gets an unlimited supply...

Des

edit on 27-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So you are are saying the numbers are fake?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: nfflhome

Southern California...so yeah, get out of here with that.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: nfflhome

I live in southern NJ, we have the highest percentage of illegal immigrants east of Texas. I don't know anyone who is driving down the road looking in the fields where people are working from dawn to dusk, hunched over picking produce into countless small baskets for less than minimum wage and saying, "damn I wish I had THAT job."

Nobody wants to do these jobs because it's back breaking labor and it doesn't pay a living wage. I'm sure there are people who will argue that if illegal immigrants weren't doing it, farmers would be forced to pay more. We subsidize the sh#t out of farming and even with that and the labor from illegal immigrants, it's nearly impossible to keep up with the price of produce from South and Central American countries.

But hey, if you think that the average American is dying to pick produce for less than minimum wage, I'm sure there's plenty of farmers who will welcome you.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

What do all the field/farm workers do in the Winter.

Des

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

OK Straw Man. This has nothing to do with picking beans...

Look at page 20.

Table 2. Native and Immigrant Employment by Occupational Category
2003-20141
Health care practitioner & technical
Business & financial operations
Education, training, & library
Personal care & service
Protective service
Management
Building & grounds cleaning & maintenance
Food preparation & serving
Computer & mathematical science
Health care support
Arts, design, entertainment, sports, & media
Legal
Community & social service
Farming, fishing, & forestry
Life, physical, & social service
Architecture & engineering
Transportation & material moving
Installation, maintenance, & repair
Sales & related
Construction & extraction

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

There's many Americans who take those jobs because they have to. I don't understand this argument that nobody will do it except for illegals. It just isn't true. Many people work jobs that don't pay a living wage. We can't all be doctors and lawyers.

I think these numbers are true and very troubling.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

What's shocking is that corporations are choosing to circumvent labor laws, politicians are paid to look the other way.

It's funny to get conservatives talking about immigration.

They can't decide if they should back the corporate interests, or if they should encourage their white friends to get out and take jobs as laborers, or if they just want to be able to shoot live targets trying to scamper through the desert.

angry, confused and biased towards action... perfect.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

An example is "the lunch lady". My son's pre-school has an entirely immigrant staff outside of teachers. When I was a kid, they were all locals, even the janitors, so obviously locals will do that job. But hey, I am getting a great rate on tuition so I find it highly agreeable. Sorry to the locals who can't ask my kid if he wants white or chocolate milk (which is a whole other irritating issue, it's f*ing milk or chocolate milk...why is white even an option)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I have researched this pretty thoroughly now and I can't really come to the same conclusion as you. I am afraid you are going to have to enlighten me with some solid evidence. All I could find was that in 1985 Tanton partially funded a grant for the CIS...both parties claim they have nothing to do with the other.

I also checked the references in the paper and they are from legitimate sources, so I am not sure your sources which claim "WHITE SUPREMACY" are entirely accurate.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

OK Straw Man. This has nothing to do with picking beans...

Look at page 20.

Hold on, I'll go make a PDF that says "you are wrong" on page 20, come back here and reference it. Are you serious? You're saying they're obviously telling the truth by citing their lies? UGH.

The source of the data is the CPS (Current Population Survey) of the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Let me point you to something:

Foreign born. The foreign born are persons residing in the United
States who were not U.S. citizens at birth. That is, they were born
outside the United States or one of its outlying areas such as Puerto
Rico or Guam, to parents neither of whom was a U.S. citizen. The
foreign-born population includes legally-admitted immigrants,
refugees, temporary residents such as students and temporary workers,
and undocumented immigrants. The survey data, however, do not
separately identify the number of persons in these categories.

Labor Force Characteristics of Foreign-born Workers Technical Note

This is ALL foreign born workers. That's just from looking at the graph. These CIS reports are always completely BS and yes, their numbers are a LIE.
edit on 2014-6-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Someone once told me immigrants eat in local restaurants, shop at local stores, and live in local places that actually helps the economy.

crazy talk...we all know immigrants eat only the souls of honest americans and live in the bushes outside of our women's homes

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

What are you talking about? Are you implying the article in the OP is saying only ILLEGAL immigrants? Because that isn't the case. They clearly and definitively say ALL immigrants...You did not read it. Heck, you didn't even read the OP as it also says that rather plainly...It seems you just came here to bash the CIS.
edit on 27-6-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Yeah, their big money backers like the Chamber of Commerce are paying them to push for amnesty, but they know their constituents will boot them out of office if they support amnesty a la Eric Cantor.

It really seems to me like some of the establishment republicans are just trying to get through to November so they can tell the CoC where to stick it.

I don't think it's a big deal that legal immigrants are getting employment, it just becomes a big deal when immigrants are getting employment because they are will to work for that dollar less than their American counter-part who got laid off from a job that was paying a dollar more.

Then the illegal immigrant problem is a catastrophe.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Timing

Illegal immigrants, according to studies, are not paid as poorly as most believe. They typically send money back to their country of origin, which is why the live in modest environments.

The pay per hour isn't why illegal immigration is cheap, it is all the extras an employer has to pay for a legitimate worker. For example, McDonalds pays an average wage of 12.00 an hour (they claim). Their cost per employee is around 17 dollars an hour. So if you could pay an employee 13 dollars an hour under the table, you are paying more but saving money. That is how most migrant workers are paid. Just look at how much Mango and Avocado farmers in SoCal pay their migrant workers. It's quite good.

I for one have no problem with undocumented workers. My second degree is in business finance and I can see no proof that they are in any way a drain on the economy. This thread isn't about illegal immigration though, it is about how immigrant workers (legal or otherwise) are taking almost every job while college grads go unemployed for YEARS while looking for work.

I was personally shocked to see this statistic.
edit on 27-6-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

It's all related, because there has to be a cause as to why those statistics are as they are.

Isn't there a demand for those migrant workers picking those fruits in SoCal so they can't get away with paying them as cheaply? I'm sure there are better pickers than others and farms want the fastest best pickers so there is competitive pay to hire and maintain those workers.

Take the construction industry for example though, some scumbag company figured he could put way more profit in his pocket hiring illegal immigrants. Now all the other construction companies have to hire illegals so they can remain competitive for those jobs.

What factor do you think is contributing to migrant workers getting hired first then? You, as a holder of a business finance minor, have to at least take into consideration that foreign workers are will to work for less pay than an American citizen because $12 an hour is an incredible amount compared to the $8 that worker would get in their home country. While the American won't take less that $15 because that is what he was getting paid at his previous employer and a $3 dollar pay cut would me significant life changes.

I could be wrong, but seeing how business is about the bottom line, it would stand to reason that more migrant workers are being hired because they are willing to work for less.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
US growth without immigrants would be negative and we would have the same problem as Japan has with an large ageing population and negative population growth at the working level to support it. That is a big problem. It would even worse here. So when you retire you thank those immigrants for paying for keeping your medicaid and social securtiy from going away.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join