It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wait, something doesn't seem quite right here.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Beware of Jet blast:

Lol. Go figure, I guess it's not such a good idea to run your jet engines up while parked on a brick taxi way.

www.airliners.net...

edit on 24-6-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I'm thinkin' you're right.

Wow. Evidence of just how powerful those engines really, really are...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

We used to run C-130 engines at full power on an asphalt ramp, and watch big chunks of it go flying from behind the plane. It was worse with some jet engines. We couldn't run a KC-135R model with the CFM56 engines at power on that spot, because it would destroy the ramp so badly.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It's not something I ever thought about, really.

Obviously one knows the things are powerful, they do lift big ol' heavy machines miles into the sky, at thousands of miles per hour...

It just never occurred to me that runways/taxiways could be so thoroughly messed up...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I can't imagine what a 777's GE90-115B would have done to that brick at full power.

edit on 24-6-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Runways are usually concrete, or packed asphalt on concrete, and the run spots are usually concrete, with a blast deflector (which leads to other interesting issues, such as sucking the windows out of the control tower when they do power runs under it). Most Western ramps/runways are built pretty well, but there's always going to be a weak spot somewhere.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Which one? The 105, or the 115,000 lb engine?

It would have launched those bricks into India.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I've actually been in AF cars, and pickups driving behind C-135s doing full power engine runs, doing leak checks. We got as close to the back of the wing as we could, and were never in any danger of flipping, and barely rocked. It does get rather noisy back there though.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

I can't imagine what a 777's GE90-115B would have done to that brick at full power.

One of our training captains blew a Range Rover through the airport fence as he hit TO/GA by accident.
He managed to pull back the thrust levers before reaching takeoff power, but two 115B's at 60% N1 did the job pretty well.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Many years ago I started work at an airline that had just had a DHC-8 "jump the chocks" on a ground run a few weeks earlier.

they were at full power, brakes on, spoilers extended and flaps up - but somehow the "air/ground" switch got flipped, the spoilers came down and it had enough lift to get itself over the chocks, slice up the tractor in front of the stbd engine (slightly off to the side) and hit the hangar it was facing 50-75 yards away.

it doesn't have to be a 777 to have a lot more power than people realize!!

PS is there a link to those photos or an article incorporating them??
edit on 24-6-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Nothing that I've found yet.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

There are several blogs and the linked FB page talking about it but no official report, just the photos that I've seen anyway.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I'm thinkin' you're right.

Wow. Evidence of just how powerful those engines really, really are...

More like evidence of how crap building standards are in the 3rd world!

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

lol yeah I knocked some things over at a base in iraq doing a c130 power run

...you have to make sure youre "clear to the rear". Airfield managers normally designate power run spots

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
i thought this was pretty crazy the first time i saw it, i still think it is.
this is the airport on St. Maarten. i can't understand the thrill. i got blasted one time i didn't enjoy it.

i don't think this lady did either.

they have a bar right there with flight times and everything, people line up to get blasted.
edit on 25-6-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: darkwarrior

We had to move power runs on larger aircraft like the KC-135R, and the B-1 to the AMC ramp at Hickam. They put one on the spot under the ground control tower, because they figured it was a good spot, since there was nothing but the tower behind them, and that ramp behind it was wide open.

They started engines, and everything was fine, ran up to power, everything was fine. Left the engines at power, for the required length of time for the run, and the guy in the tower watched one of the big panel windows go flying out of the tower and flying through the air.

Never did a power run on that spot again.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Which one? The 105, or the 115,000 lb engine?

It would have launched those bricks into India.

The 115B engine is able to send rather large rocks flying.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Ivar_Karlsen

Ok, them suckers would have landed in the southern end of Afghanistan or farther. Haha. That's impressive as hell.
edit on 6/25/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
i thought this was pretty crazy the first time i saw it, i still think it is.
this is the airport on St. Maarten. i can't understand the thrill. i got blasted one time i didn't enjoy it.

i don't think this lady did either.

they have a bar right there with flight times and everything, people line up to get blasted.

And I would like to point out that at the bar, if a woman is topless she drinks for free.
Topless beach/bar, awesome ocean view, stupid tourist getting blown away, and awesome spotting. It is pretty much my most favorite place in the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join