It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Suck at Football

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I don't know.

Soccer for me ranks in the realm of "fun to play, but not so fun to watch" when it comes to sports. They run around for 90 minutes and may never score once, and just when you think it's the end, they tack on a mystery amount of time after that. The game can end in a tie or they line up and just kick one on one to see who can get the ball in the goal. After they spent all that effort running around, it seems a rather anti-climactic way to assign a victory.

Oh, and they are too eager to take dives for my taste. They barely get touched and they roll around like their legs are broken in three places trying to draw a card. It's ... unmanly. I understand that they do it in basketball too, but I don't like it there, either.

Other sports that are more fun to play than watch: baseball, volleyball, and golf.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
# em.

Club before country everytime in footie.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I support Aston Villa , I know pain in the league too

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Actually all the cool kids are playing Lacrosse now. I know this because I have teenagers in my house all the time (unlike me, my daughter is popular) and they are all playing Lacrosse or in the case of boys baseball is still huge. Soccer is still considered 'for girls' or wimpy boys. Maybe it is different on the West Coast, but the Midwest soccer is not cool.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Used to know that pain but I support city
Swings and roundabouts dude your clubs time will come.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Swings and roundabouts dude your clubs time will come.

That depends on who buys the club , Randy Lerner is on his bike so if we get a rich sugar daddy like you guys did we'll be laughing although knowing our luck we'll get a Vincent Tan.

edit on 24-6-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Is there anyone here that would cop to being a Man U fan?

Just asking.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
England's failings are merely a manifestation of the deeper malaise within England in general.

A full system re-boot is required.

I'm sure heard that said before somewhere?

What does piss me off is all the media generated criticism of Rooney.
Played out of position, yet again, against Italy and head and shoulders our best player against Uruguay yet he is the target of all the blame?
What about Gerard?
After a great season he was, as he has been for a long time, completely absent for England.

As with most sport in the UK its more about presenting the face to the world and preserving our 'image' - bollocks to that, lets try winning for once in a while....but that would require showing some balls and steely English determination, attributes frowned upon nowadays.

At least our cricketers tried their best to make our footballers look good - talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sad thing is, many of the faults within the football system in England can also be seen in the Cricket set-up - I wonder why?
As I said earlier, its just a reflection of England in general.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I must beg to differ.

England hasn't performed badly at all in the WC over the years compared with all the many other countries.

For a start, most would-be participants don't qualify for the final tournament, so simply getting there is no small achievement; England has qualified 14 times and failed only 3 times.

Of the 76 nations that have ever competed in the WC, only 24 have finished in the top 4 - check.

Only 16 teams have finished in the top 4 more than once - check.

A mere 8 teams have won the cup - check.

That puts England in quite an exclusive little club.

Certain fans expect England to win everything all the time...which is plainly ridiculous.

Apart from '66, it never looked likely before or since then.

But England is competitive and has a good overall record on win percentage v loss percentage, number of goals scored and goal difference.

Not the best in the world, but easily in the top 15 if not the top 10 (there are well over 200 national teams, don't forget).

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Here is my problem, I'm a Coventry City fan, and for those who know of my team and our predicament, I literally waited this 4 years to enjoy some football again, considering my team has been moved 35miles away from there home.
I needed this World Cup to feel the enjoyment of football again. All fool me hey!

This burden of being a Coventry fan hurts knowing even my country are pants too

edit on 25-6-2014 by skyblueworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Would also like to add this from the dailymail..

The USA's draw with Portugal was the most-watched football match ever in the United States, with 24.7 million people tuning in - more than for the NBA finals.

Seem like Americans do care about 'soccer' after all...

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
C'mon guys ! It's man ballet !
Including choreographed; trained - FALLS !!

" Oh broke a nail ! I fell down with much pain and angst ! "

A penalty would be the right thing to do ... Paris Hilton would !!!

*Walks off in a hissy fit!*

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Did you know that the only report that says that is put out by the MLS and the numbers are disputed and only based on per game attendance not season attendance

National Football League (67,604)
Major League Baseball (30,514)
Canadian Football League (28,193)
Major League Soccer (18,807)
National Hockey League (17,455)
National Basketball Association (17,274)

en.wikipedia.org...

of course its per game. Obviously the NHL and NBA will have higher total season attendance, as they play far more games than MLS teams.

Not only that, but the MLS loses money and pays their players a pittance compared to the NBA and NHL.
Both the NBA and NHL have franchises teetering on default. Funny, though, how you changed from "people dont care" to "they arent payed as much".

Over half of MLS teams make a profit, for the record:

And today? Ten of the league’s 19 teams are making a profit (in terms of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization). The Sounders are now the league’s most valuable franchise at $175 million, a massive 483% increase over its 2009 sale price. And in May of 2013 a new ownership group paid $100 million just as an expansion fee to start a team in New York City.

www.forbes.com...

That demand should be little surprise given the league’s recent success. In 2011, average MLS attendance hit 17,872 to surpass both the NBA and NHL, and it has since increased to 18,611 fans per game. More impressively, the average franchise is now worth $103 million, up more than 175% over the last five years. With five planned expansion teams and a new league TV deal on the way, there’s no reason to believe that growth is slowing anytime soon.

www.forbes.com...

BTW, I didnt know the MLS owned Forbes.....

The average MLS salary for 2014 is $207,831 — up from last fall’s average of $165,066.

www.empireofsoccer.com...

Living wage? I think you may be pissing on your own leg, brother....

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
What happened England ?
I'm one of the seven people in the country watching a pointless game because it's the world cup and England are playing, but it's not England , it hasn't been England from the start of the championships , probably since the start of the millennium , it's been a pale shadow of the England that was.
2 losses and a draw , what a sorry bunch , what a sorry manager.

In truth I stopped supporting you a while ago but the world cup does funny things to a man and like a fool I let myself believe that you wouldn't do it to me again ... but you did with bells on.

Thanks again England but I'm now a Holland fan .... We're through

Mate, clearly the team wanted to make it home in time for the start of wimbledon!

No, i agree. What a bunch of waster's lol. My only silver lining is that the italians got knocked out to. Fair play to costa rica - They've earned their place!

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
# em.

Club before country everytime in footie.

Damn right mate

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
2 years on and we still SUCK at football.
England 1 Iceland 2

Bye Bye Roy.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

At least you clean swept the Wallabies in Rugby.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The thick kid of Europe at the moment, can't even beat Iceland a country with no leader or political leadership. We need to sort things out before we start getting bullied in the playground

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Sounds like they copped it ... fair in the brexit !!

😎

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join