It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great White population increasing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Finally some good news for sharks.
After what has been deemed the most comprehensive study of great whites it was found that the population off the eastern U.S. and Canada has been climbing since the year 2000. They say the population is now on 31% less from its 1960's population. This is thought to be from a law passed in in 1997 stopping the hunting of the sharks. The population is estimated to be between 3000-5000

"There's this general pattern of where the white sharks are protected, they seem to recover," said Tobey H. Curtis, one of the authors of the Atlantic study.

In addition to this there was also another paper published saying that the same appeared to be happening in the pacific.

Hopefully other countries can try to protect not only great whites but other sharks and similar population rebounds can happen. With the global shark population falling from over fishing it's good to hear that they are at least doing well somewhere in the ocean.

Here is the article
www.cbc.ca...

For those who do not know about the shark finning problem this documentary sheds some light on the problem
www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-6-2014 by grey9438 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: grey9438

there also may be a correlation between increasing population and climate change. With whales and other prey animals migration patterns changing, it may be leading to increasing predator populations.

I wonder how other shark populations are doing? That might confirm my thoughts...

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I think that some sharks will migrate with water temperature changes and will follow prey prey migrations as well.

I wonder how other shark populations are doing?

Most other shark populations are threatened due to over fishing, though I have not heard about how climate change affects them

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Being in Florida..gotta say..not a fan of a larger shark population regardless of what type.
Luckily we don't get too many reports of great whites here..mostly just nurse sharks and the like, but they got a bite on them also.

I don't hate sharks mind you, just...well, we need to install large coastal nets to keep them away from us and visa versa in common swimming and surfing areas.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

we need to install large coastal nets to keep them away from us and visa versa in common swimming and surfing areas.

I imagine lessening contact between the two is a good idea, but I've heard that overall shark attacks have gone down in its just because theres been an increase in beachgoers in the past 100 years that they seem proportionately higher.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
They are being spotted all over Florida and at times close to shore. Generally white sightings are rare in these waters, especially near shore. The frequency of these sightings is getting the fishermen's attention.

They are magnificent creatures, I do spend a lot of time in the Florida waters so this has my attention.
edit on 22-6-2014 by jrod because: 321

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I know the Atlantic increase is mainly due to the increase in seal populations. Whites like to eat them because their high blubber content fuels the White's higher pseudo-warm-blooded metabolism especially when they cruise the colder waters.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

From what I have heard the seal population is large, I know the Canadian government was looking to cull them awhile ago, maybe this could bring some balance to the population

top topics

join