It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invitation Only Forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Would it be possible to have an invitational forum, rather than just one that requires a set amount of points.

The Really Above Top Secret is a great idea but it doesn't stop the trolls getting in, just takes them longer due to the short posts.

Didn't know if you could have an open forum for questions and then have a response by invitation only.

That way anyone could still view the information the forum contained, but only selected people could post.

Whether the invitation would be made by moderator or thread author I am not sure what would be best, but I see alot of really good, well potentially really good, threads that have been ruined by personal conflicts, lack of fact and slanderous opinion. And many are dragged of topic to suit the personal arguments rather than sticking to info regarding the thread topic.

Just a thought, and may provide ideas for alternate solutions

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
cool idea

What type of forum would it be??

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I know that it is possible, as that is how they dealt with the Campaign 2004 forum...certain members were selected to represent their party's platform with regards to election issues....everyone else could only read the threads....

Cool idea though - I'm sure that with time, as we contine to grow, that option could become available.....

But I'm not a mod, so I'll let them take it from here...

[edit on 12/1/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
invitation only seems kind of pointless, but perhaps requiring a sort of application and admission review would be a decent idea. The mods can't be expected to pick up everyone that would be good for discussion in that forum, but they could make a good go at it if people came to them.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Who knows, there could be secret forums that only a few know about...

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There is a invitation forum already...its called DISC

I have no idea how you get invited to join though

*is still waiting for his invitation in the post*

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Is DISC a invite only forum????

edit: thanks infinite

my invite to DISC must have got lost in the post

[edit on 1-12-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Is DISC a invite only forum????

edit: thanks infinite

my invite to DISC must have got lost in the post

[edit on 1-12-2004 by UK Wizard]

it certainly is my friend

i dont think they still invite members thou anymore

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I had access to DISC several months ago, there certainly isn't alot there. It has more to do with board ideas and helping develop certain projects if I remember correctly. I think Simon was alluding to something else.

Lukefj

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lukefj
I had access to DISC several months ago, there certainly isn't alot there. It has more to do with board ideas and helping develop certain projects if I remember correctly. I think Simon was alluding to something else.

Lukefj

I know majority of ideas are thrown to DISC, but i never knew Simon was planning on changing it. I think there should be a FSME board where FSME can chat and stuff

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Oh, I don't think Simon is planning on changing DISC. I think he was alluding to the possibility that there is another invite only forum that most members don't know about. It is quite likely.

Lukefj

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
See here is one possible problem.

I was a member of another forum as well as the secret forum within that forum. So one of the other secret forum members got in a huff about something and ratted us out to the rest of the board. As you can imagine, many of the normal forum members were insulted that they were never invited and began screaming that we were all elitists. It really messed the board up for awhile and several long standing members simply left. Needless to say the whole incedent really disturbed the community.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
See here is one possible problem.

I was a member of another forum as well as the secret forum within that forum. So one of the other secret forum members got in a huff about something and ratted us out to the rest of the board. As you can imagine, many of the normal forum members were insulted that they were never invited and began screaming that we were all elitists. It really messed the board up for awhile and several long standing members simply left. Needless to say the whole incedent really disturbed the community.

Thats what i was thinking...
An elite forum would divide ATS, i wanted RATs to have tougher access, but the staff didnt agree with it because it would make RATs "elite".

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Thats what i was thinking...
An elite forum would divide ATS, i wanted RATs to have tougher access, but the staff didnt agree with it because it would make RATs "elite".

Well, we could reduce the calories and have RATS "lite".

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
Who knows, there could be secret forums that only a few know about...

The Boss is trying to get us thinking here folks. What we should be considering is whats up with this supersecret forum and figure out how to get in

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Well, we could reduce the calories and have RATS "lite".

lol
Reduce RATs 50% less fat
!

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
The Boss is trying to get us thinking here folks. What we should be considering is whats up with this supersecret forum and figure out how to get in

Well, there was discussion of a forum requiring 100,000 points to get into, but at the time only one member had enough to get in.

I noticed that no one has mentioned wanting access to cosmic yet. lol

bg

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The idea isn't for an elite forum, or any secret forum.

The trouble with the points scheme is that the trolls still get access in the end, if they don't get themselves banned first of course

It's more of the ability to get a Q & A session going without all the petty arguments. The forum would not be necessarily any particular subject, bit like the debate forum, but instead of two people debating a point, one person would be able to ask a question and get useful ideas from both sides of the argument.

Could set up a representive title, like the scholar, and writer, and have them assign themselves to particular topics. ie as I am interested in secret societies you could have representitives for pro-freemasonry and anti-freemasonry, pro-illuminati and anti-illuminati. people can put themselves forward to represent either side and gain access to be able to post responses.

You have to be given posting rights to start your thread within the Q&A forum, this way mod's can't monitor repeat questions and any silly questions. Those that have representive status can post, and any of those that detract from subject or resort to squabbling, swearing, name calling or canything not deemed constructive will have their rep status removed and will not be able to post any more.

Probably needs a bit more thought and planning, but the overall thought is good

top topics

join