It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is Your Favorite U.S. President?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Out of all the men who have represented the United States as president, which one do you most like, and why? I'd probably have to say President Abraham Lincoln. "The Ancient," as his secretaries called him, was a brilliant politico, wickedly smart and very down to earth. Despite his many enemies within his party, within the Union and Confederacy, he lead this nation with quiet and remarkable confidence through the darkest hour of its existence - and kept it together. God's man of providence.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The best is 43, 40 was also good, 42 was the 3nd worst, but Abe was the very worst well except for that communist FDR.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Thomas Jefferson...for his many contributions to what our nation SHOULD be about (i.e. Declaration of Independence, etc.)...despite any scandals, etc.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Why do you think that Abe was the worst?

Why do you like 43?

I've always loved Reagan, too. He's a close second.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Thomas Jefferson...for his many contributions to what our nation SHOULD be about (i.e. Declaration of Independence, etc.)...despite any scandals, etc.

He was a man of many contradictions. How do you account for that? (Most namely the issue of holding slaves) He was brilliant, though.

My favorite Jefferson quote:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-- Thomas Jefferson

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The best President is Hillary Clinton/Rudolph Guiliani or as they say in the classics "the best is yet to come", assuming there is a future.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Yes my favorite President is Fillmore! Why is that so? Because nothing happened! Also who else had a rock and roll location immortalized in his name.

Okay okay, I really liked President Reagan the best, for the reason that World War Three never happend, and he said "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

I personally have reasons as well, his public speaking was a unique inspiration.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Grover Cleveland, the only President to serve two non-consecutive terms.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ronald Reagan is my favorite. He did so much for this country. He single-handidly destroyed the Soviet Union without even firing a shot. There should be a posthumously awarded Nobel Peace Prize, Reagan deserves it. I was 12 when he 1st took office and I was lucky to serve under him when I was in the Army.

Richard Nixon is a close second. I admire his strength and perserverence, he was destroyed by the media, and had the good judgement to resign his post, unlike another controversial recent president.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
My favorite would have to be Kennedy with a slight lead over old Abe Lincoln.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Jefferson Davis was the greatest president.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Oh my goodness�it was OF COURSE George Washington. He was a simple farmer who was our leading general during the revolutionary war. He REALLY believed in the constitution. When offered a kingship he rejected it and left power and fame behind to return to being a farmer. A truly humble man who founded a great nation.

Abe Lincoln was easily the worst president. The manner in which he freed the slaves has done irreparable harm to race relations for the last 100 years. He didn�t free them to be a humanitarian, he freed them to cause discord in the south. Thus he made them enemies of all the southern forces. He even stated he really didn�t care if they were free or not, but instead did it as a political move to retain power.

Understand, before that, the slaves were widely regarded as neutral entities and pawns of the north�s federal power grab. Also, slavery was dying out on it�s own accord and a more natural flow from slavery to freedom would have done wonders for the black community in this country. Instead they were seen as pariahs in the south and cast out into the street. Motivation for many of the �Jim Crow� laws can directly traced back to the blacks participation in the civil war and Lincoln's actions.

Also, Lincoln created a completely unbacked fiat money system that bankrupted many people after the civil war ended. He caused the North�s economy to collapse and the 2nd major monetary crises this country has faced.

He had a lot of enemies for a reason....

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Definitely Thomas Jefferson. He is responsible for the Lewis and Clark expidition which lead to the expansion of the American Empire. Without his vision, more than half of America as we know it would be under the British or French rule. His purchase of Louisiana from Napoleon was pure GENUIS!

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum
Jefferson Davis was the greatest president.

Jeff Davis was never the president of the United States.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. The first three because I am directly related to them and they were/are great men and the last one because he was a great man and a leader among leaders. I do have one beef with Thomas Jefferson and that is the death of Merriweather Lewis which was called a suicide but all of us in the family know that he was taken out by Wilkerson and Jefferson as he was going to expose their illegal tax collecting activities along the Mississippi River in New Orleans. Merriweather was a cousin to Thomas Jefferson, through the Miller, Henkel and Funkhouser families of Lebanon Church, Virginia and that is why Merriweather was picked for the journey of discovery.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Ralph Nadar, all hail ralph!

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrNice
Also, Lincoln created a completely unbacked fiat money system that bankrupted many people after the civil war ended. He caused the North�s economy to collapse and the 2nd major monetary crises this country has faced.

He had a lot of enemies for a reason....

Actually, that was the doing of Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase. How else should they have raised the funds?

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. The first three because I am directly related to them and they were/are great men and the last one because he was a great man and a leader among leaders. I do have one beef with Thomas Jefferson and that is the death of Merriweather Lewis which was called a suicide but all of us in the family know that he was taken out by Wilkerson and Jefferson as he was going to expose their illegal tax collecting activities along the Mississippi River in New Orleans. Merriweather was a cousin to Thomas Jefferson, through the Miller, Henkel and Funkhouser families of Lebanon Church, Virginia and that is why Merriweather was picked for the journey of discovery.

Merriweather was slowly becoming a desperate man full of despair and severe psychotic troubles at the end of his life. His suicide was legit, although still much is unknown about it. But, Jefferson did not orchestrate it. It's such a shame too, when you think about the life he lead up to that point. He was chosen for the expedition, because at the time Jefferson beleived he was the best person for the job. He trained under and became an apprentice for Jefferson, which is where his vast knowledge of botany and astronomy came from. That along with is unbeleivable leadership skills made him the perfect candidate for the mission. I highly suggest reading the book, "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. It's the best depiction of the Lewis and Clark expidition IMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Out of all the men who have represented the United States as president, which one do you most like, and why?

Given a choice I would have to say Kennedy or Reagan. Both had their faults. Kennedy had problems with the female gender, as did Clinton. Reagan said he was behind the Unions yet he ruined them.

Both Reagan and Kennedy helped to eliminate the Berlin Wall Kennedy started it and Reagan finished it.

Kennedy never served his 2nd term so no one will be sure just how good/great a president he really was or would have been. I honestly think had he been in office a 2nd term Viet Nam would have turned out differently. Johnson was a wuss and did not have the balls to fight if you ask me.

Sadly even though Reagon did get the wall torn down, he did a lousy job with the air controllers, which in my mind lead to the down fall of labor unions in the US that which lead to a great loss of jobs in the long run.
finished it.

As you can see both had their good parts and bad.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Quote from a previous post:

"Merriweather was slowly becoming a desperate man full of despair and severe psychotic troubles at the end of his life. His suicide was legit, although still much is unknown about it. But, Jefferson did not orchestrate it. It's such a shame too, when you think about the life he lead up to that point. He was chosen for the expedition, because at the time Jefferson beleived he was the best person for the job. He trained under and became an apprentice for Jefferson, which is where his vast knowledge of botany and astronomy came from. That along with is unbeleivable leadership skills made him the perfect candidate for the mission. I highly suggest reading the book, "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. It's the best depiction of the Lewis and Clark expidition IMO"

Stephen Ambrose may in your opinion be a great author, but my opinion comes directly from family legend as M. Lewis was an uncle of mine 7 generations ago, my great-great-great grandfather was Jesse Pitman Lewis and the idea that the Lewis family and M. Lewis suffered from depression is all B.S. Daniel B. Botkin who wrote many an accurate book
on the man got his information from my family and was even dating my aunt before she was killed in Hawaii a couple of years ago by a drunk driver.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join