It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any advice please american bulldog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I am about to adopt an almost 3 year old american bull dog they have had him since pup and I am worried he wont settle in with me I would really appreciate any insight if any one with experience has a minute ta...

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I grew up with a bulldog, they are good mellow animals. I don't know what kind he was though. I suppose they have personalities just like humans, some are nice and some are crabby.

I remember sitting in a closet at the farm with Chubby, we were both eating ice cream. One spoon for you, one spoon for me, he was trained to eat out of a spoon by me. I hid in the closet because my parents did not like this way of feeding the dog. I think they knew, as from the kitchen table they could see me and the dog go into the closet.

Those days, some people were afraid of bulldogs, it is like pitbulls today. Not all pitbulls are dangerous yet concensus is that they are. Doberman Pincers went through the same profiling by the public in the late seventies, but many of those dogs were nice dogs. If you are afraid of a dog, they can sense it. People do not believe that yet it is true. The same occurs with insects, but insects that eat us eat us whether we are afraid or not.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thanks for the reply lol I definitely will not be sharing a spoon with him haha, an he is suppost to be nice and playful they walk him off lead and ther is a picture of him snoozing with a cat so he should have a good temperament I am just worried about him settleing in as they have had him since pup. They are only getting rid cause they dont have the time for him he needs enymore.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BoovDawg
American bulldog, a large pitbull looking dog!
Just like pits, very human loving with a healthy prey drive.
Excellent dog, if you have no cats...

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Walking ANY breed of dog off-lead isn't the wisest decision.
Many unexpected things can happen, such as a car back-firing and spooking the dog, an aggressive dog from out of nowhere, so many things can frighten/set off any dog. If your dog is on a leash, you have a much better chance of not only preventing unforeseen problems, you also are more likely to insure the dog's safety.
I always consider any dog, no matter how gentle, capable of attacking someone under the right circumstances, and since I don't want my dog put down because of someone else's stupidity, I have always kept them on a leash when not in a fenced yard.
Pit bills have such a bad reputation because they are possibly the worlds best fighter; best to prevent them from having any options to get into a fight if you want to keep them safe.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I hear they're notorious for snoring. lol

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

If you have any doubt about an animal then you should pass and look into a puppy that you would feel more comfortable with.

www.dogbreedinfo.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'm glad to hear your going to give a dog a loving home! I'm sure he will be grateful for your love! Give him time to settle him, and he will. Both of you will have to learn each other's personalities !
edit on 15-6-2014 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Unless he is abnormally aggressive, if you are patient, loving and provide for his needs you and he will do just fine.

Just be prepared for personality quirks. All dogs have their own personality...

You will have to establish that you are the pack leader. This does not mean violence or whipping or anything like it. It is more an attitude and establishing boundaries for the dog.

Have an appropriate sized crate for him. This is not a punishment box, nor a time out box or anything. They sell them at pet smart etc.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
We had our boy Raydar,for ten years,before he got cancer and passed. Quite honestly,although they look fierce,American bulldogs are big babies. At least ours was. A big hundred pound lap dog. Never barked or showed agression. Loved the other animals,and never hurt my kids. He would however,growl at my ex if he raised his voice,or showed anger towards any of us. He came from a relative who was a reputable breeder. He was the best dog,we have ever had. I wish you luck with your new family member. If you show them love,it will be returned tenfold.

new topics

top topics

join