It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V9 virus, AVG scan seems to get stuck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I've been trying to debug a friend's computer and the V9 or something else seems to have rooted its way in deep within.

I un-installed chrome, Mozilla still goes straight to V9 everytime....

Anybody have a good program or know of a good way to take care of this pest?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Unplug from the internet and run AVG in safe mode.
Then reboot still unplugged and see if its gone. As long as your plugged into the net it will reinstall itself as soon as there's a connection.
You need to break the connection first to truly get rid of it.

edit on 13-6-2014 by mark1167 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
My girls pc has this as well. It disables her AVG. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet. I did however remove some auto start entries with msconfig. seemed to clear up some of the issues. Went from 70% cpu usage to about ten at idle.

Good luck getting it sorted.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
First tell her to be careful when downloading everything, she has to look at every prompt and make sure only what she is wants is checked off in any options. Next try a system restore to previous of getting whatever she installed that had v9 attached to it. It's technically not a virus or malware (I did something similar when installing mozilla myself). If the restore doesn't work try this.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Thank you.

I forgot to go through msconfig, and unplug from the net. Hopefully that will get it.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I had a very nasty virus sometime ago and what I ended up doing is hitting control alt delete to get the task manager up and I ended explorer.exe...and then created a new explorer.exe and I was able to get to run a scan/download the appropriate spyware stuff...hope it helps...

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
v9 isn't a virus - it's a browser hijacker which has probably been acquired through downloading software. I wouldn't rely on AVG to deal with it - a scan with MalwareBytes or Spybot should pick it up and allow it to be quarantined/removed without the need to disconnect from the net or play around with your settings.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Have you stopped backup? It could also be there re-installing itself from the last save.
I highly suggest using HijackThis

If you're not familiar with HijackThis read about it and download here
edit on 13-6-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Try this guide

malwaretips.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SummerLightning

Thanks. I figured it wasn't a virus, I'll have to go back and try to debug that computer. I wasn't trying to, I just tried to access the internet and BAM there it was, completely hijacked all the browsers....

Also, that computer is essentially a public computer so no surprise that it has issues.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I have AVG too. It works fine for me all the time. But from time to time I use malwarebytes to scan and see if any adware is there. Malwarebytes removed V9 perfectly. Manual removal is also possible: soft2secure.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

All lies CO2 is beneficial for all life in the planet.

BTW jrod, show proof that you are a scientist. Note that claiming "I am a scientist" meanwhile proclaiming that "if someone insults you they are insulting science" show a lack of intelligence or understanding on what science really is.

edit on 2-8-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join