It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superbug Found in Squid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Interesting article I wanted to share. Unsure where to post this topic..Move if necessary.

“In Canada and the United States, we have some really good resistant surveillance programs that look at meat products," Rubin said. "But these programs are primarily targeted at beef, pork, and poultry. So there's a whole world of other food items that people are purchasing that really aren't captured in these programs. So that was what I was interested in looking at.”

“With the study that we've done, we really don't have any further insight," he said. "It certainly could have acquired it in its environment. It could have been cross-contamination, processing or shipping or cross-contamination at the point of sale. We really don't have any evidence at this point and so we need a lot more research and that's what we're starting to develop some plans for now.”

Rubin said, “This organism itself probably wouldn't hurt you.” However, eating this organism "could share those resistance genes with other bacteria living in your intestine, which may be more pathogenic."

Source
edit on 13-6-2014 by caskatoon because: added link

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: caskatoon
Link please.
I am surprised we are not seeing more of this.
edit on 13-6-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

www.cbc.ca...

I'm guessing it's this. Glad I don't eat fishfood!

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Here's the requested link...

news.ca.msn.com... wan/university-of-saskatchewan-professor-finds-superbug-in-raw-squid

This study itself, has likely started another 10+ studies as for where it came from, what other food is it found in etc.
a reply to: calstorm

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Thank you. It is late now, but I will look at it tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

it is something the global healthcare community has expected for a while

Bacteria spread resistance genes horizontally, like a cold, NOT vertically from generation to generation. The only question would be "How quickly do resisatnce genes move into the wild?"

Good find. S&F&

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

The only question would be "How quickly do resisatnce genes move into the wild?"

Yes, that is a great question indeed.

I once worked with a Man, whom spent much of his time growing up/working in the Netherlands and throughout Europe.

He used to bring raw pork, among other raw foods to work, add a little salt and eat it as is.

This is concerning for me, although the bacteria is considered a 'Super-Bug" in that most if not all antibiotics ineffective and/or produce zero results.

The question for me, is how does the Human immune system handle these 'super-bugs'? Would it result in a slow death, a fast death, or death at all for the host?

a reply to: soficrow

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
And what does God say about which food we are all allowed to eat?

Our ignorance. .....
It's not just Muslims who are given a set menu.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Im going to have to stop eating my raw breakfast squids

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jazz10

That makes no sense, what does god have to due with this?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: jazz10

That makes no sense, what does god have to due with this?
The OT health laws tell Jews and actually Christians what foods are good to eat. for meat any that both chews it's cud and has cloven hooves are allowed. from the sea and lakes and streams any fish that has scales is allowed. shell fish and fish without scales are not allowed. for birds very few are forbidden and the ones that are are generally forbidden by name. e.g; storks and presumably cranes are off limits. what the poster was referring to was most likely the fact that the bible and doctors advice on foods to avoid are most often the same. All three major religions have the same prescriptions. Jewish people have Kosher rules. Muslims have Halal rules. Christians think Peter's vision lets Christians of the hook for food restrictions but it really wasn't about that.

Pigs do not sweat and they do not eliminate toxins through the skin like humans do. thus toxins accumulate in thier flesh for life. also their parasites are a nasty problem. and the tissue is otherwise so similar to humans that pig organs have been transplanted into test subjects if i recall correctly. less rejection issues. so in a sense it's akin to cannibalism despite the differences i mentioned earlier.

note that fish without scales are often carrion eaters. shellfish and crustaceans are the worlds clean up crew and filter feeders so they get all the waste that goes into thier habitats such as clams getting toxic runoff from the landmass.
edit on 15-6-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join