It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just curious?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I am curious cause I have been seeing allot of the following example happening on ATS.

This was published on the 11th in the science and technology forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

However another member published the same topic on the 10th

In the space exploration forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Does ATS allow same topics in multiple forums now?

I am curious because and I'll be the first to Addmit I think the original poster should be given credit where credit is due... Just saying..

edit on 017121230617612th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 018121230618612th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

As far as I am aware, a thread subject can appear in more than one forum, but not twice in the same forum.

This is because a thread may be relevant to two or more forums on the site.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Heh, I had no idea....

I have been here since 2008 .. *cough*

And this is news to me.

I mean I have had threads trashed for having same topic in multiple threads.

Just saying.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I think it helps to make sure that your thread, although it might cover the same subject as another, approaches it differently.

For instance, if one person posts a thread looking at a technological marvel, from the position of the futurist, and you post a thread on a different forum, mostly focusing on the ecological impact it might have, those are obviously topics which are similar, but actually have entirely different focuses. Those threads both would be based on the same subject matter, but clearly diverge in terms of the aims of the thread writer.

These, therefore, would both be able to exist on the site at once.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I think it helps to make sure that your thread, although it might cover the same subject as another, approaches it differently.

For instance, if one person posts a thread looking at a technological marvel, from the position of the futurist, and you post a thread on a different forum, mostly focusing on the ecological impact it might have, those are obviously topics which are similar, but actually have entirely different focuses. Those threads both would be based on the same subject matter, but clearly diverge in terms of the aims of the thread writer.

These, therefore, would both be able to exist on the site at once.

So what your saying is that, well lets say i liked your thread and i felt it was lacking and thought ,"maybe if Tweaked it a bit and headed it into a differint direction....on a differint forum ...you know made it more appealing to the ATS crowd" . this would be acceptable to ATS?

Forgive me if I am showing a lack of understanding here....

But I value my work and the stars and Flagg's that come with it... As do many others on ATS.

I surly would not like this to happen to me ...

Just saying..
edit on 042121230642612th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Well, normally when a subject gets discussed on more than one forum, it goes like this.

Someone sees a news item, containing something science related for example, and posts a thread to alert the membership to this news, and they post it, in Breaking News.

Someone else may see the same story, published on a different site or through the televison perhaps, and decide to also place it on ATS, but they place it on the Science and Technology forum. Both are utterly legit, ordinarily speaking.

If, however, it was obvious that one thread, clearly was a duplicate, posted purely for the sake of it, rather than a thing of its own, crafted with care and so on... that would be a different matter.
edit on 12-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: added detail.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well, normally when a subject gets discussed on more than one forum, it goes like this.

Someone sees a news item, containing something science related for example, and posts a thread to alert the membership to this news, and they post it, in Breaking News.

Someone else may see the same story, published on a different site or through the televison perhaps, and decide to also place it on ATS, but they place it on the Science and Technology forum. Both are utterly legit, ordinarily speaking.

If, however, it was obvious that one thread, clearly was a duplicate, posted purely for the sake of it, rather than a thing of its own, crafted with care and so on... that would be a different matter.

I understand that ATS allows two of the same topic one in "breaking news" and one in "another forum" however going back to my OP on this thread , their was no "breaking news" on the subject. If someone felt they needed to add information to an ongoing thread wouldn't it be in order that they just add to the "original thread" instead of create another identical thread in another forum..? Maybe space exploration/ secienc and technology should be one forum no?

again I feel its taking away from the original author/poster.

It would be nice if a mod would respond to this thread. Just saying

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
One Thread allowed on Breaking Alternative or Breaking Generals News.
One Thread allowed in another forum other than BAN or BGN.

If you see duplicate threads, you can alert staff to it and the newer one will be closed
and re-directed to the first one that was started.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone

Indeed. So than the newer thread in My Op should have been shut down and disscusion redirected to the older one .

Sorry i just want to be clear on this , dont want to make future mistakes ..

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Actually, that only works for Breaking Alternative news.
I used to think it was all Breaking News forums....but an owner recently reminded me it was only BAN.

Any other dups are not allowed....and the earlier one normally gets closed.
In this case, the second one is the more popular, being several pages longer...and rather than close it...I moved it to BAN...since it is a topic that does fit there.

edit on Thu Jun 12 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Yeah... that I mean...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Actually, that only works for Breaking Alternative news.
I used to think it was all Breaking News forums....but an owner recently reminded me it was only BAN.

Any other dups are not allowed....and the earlier one normally gets closed.
In this case, the second one is the more popular, being several pages longer...and rather than close it...I moved it to BAN...since it is a topic that does fit there.

OK fair enough ..

I just wanted to be clear for future threads.

Many thanks

Humbly

LSH

top topics

join