It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed Up - 2014 documentary on sugar & obesity.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Personally I found the trailer interesting - a bit sensationalist, yet I do agree with the problems described and the fact that these do need attention. Obesity is becoming a world-wide issue, not only US, but also in other advanced nations the rates are climbing. I also do agree that fast-food industry as well as the sugar-rich foods are one of the main problems.

When I refer to sugars, I mean refined ones, especially HFCS. When you eat, let us say apple, the sugars there do not affect your body as the sugar added to coffee or whatever foods, as the natural fibers stop it from absorbing fast. While you drink coke though, all the sugar in it is immediately absorbed, which creates a huge sugar spike in blood(insulin release), which makes it easier to gain weight as well as can cause diabetes long-term. I will not even start with the addictiveness of sugar.

Fast-food industry as well plays a significant role, especially in US, where the price of a meal is very low compared to most other nations. Round here, most just wouldn´t be able to afford eating out often,even if they wanted. Making your own food comes times cheaper, as well as healthier. Low-cost products + extreme advertising (including to kids) - no wonder the industry is doing well and are part of the larger problem.

Hopefully, sooner or later, something is done with the issue, although considering the strength of the corporations, it is hard to believe so.

The documentary seems interesting and hopefully I will be able to watch it soon

I hope seeing this documentary some day, currently its not available, at least in the area I live at.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

Happened to the tobacco industry so why not the food industry - the results are similar.

I think we are in a position of believing propaganda put out by some of the worst corporations, that they are too big to complain about, certainly to vital to trim and regulate and the public are powerless.

They are not, they are completely affected by our buying their products and if we stop and put ourselves first, go back to basics as far as we can ei cooking at home, buying frozen meat to make food dishes with as opposed to fresh organic, there are choices.

We are fighting a 'manufactured' public attitude, put on us by corporations and sycophant government departments that we are worth less than the corps and we need to rethink our position and realise no profits, no corp. Its educating people to value themselves first that is important and value what is in their food which is something a few programmes of tv, showing some of the machines that make every part of an animal into nuggets etc that should help.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

When I refer to sugars, I mean refined ones, especially HFCS. When you eat, let us say apple, the sugars there do not affect your body as the sugar added to coffee or whatever foods, as the natural fibers stop it from absorbing fast.

Actually technically you are wrong and right:
healthyeating.sfgate.com...

The sugar in fruit is a monosaccharide called fructose, a type of carbohydrate. Table sugar, in contrast, is a disaccharide known as sucrose. Although most fruits have the same type of sugar in them, they don’t all have the same amount of it. In a 3-ounce serving, for example, strawberries have just 4 grams of sugar but grapes have more than 13 grams. Papayas, watermelon and grapefruit are relatively low in sugar, but mangoes, cherries and bananas have much more per serving.

livewell.jillianmichaels.com...

Even natural sugars contain calories and they can contribute to weight gain if you consume too much. Honey contains several kinds of sugar, including sucrose -- the type of sugar found in table sugar.

www.shape.com...

Can Fruit Make You Fat? What You Need to Know The American Heart Association recommends no more than 26 grams of sugar per day for women, or 36 grams per day for men. And for men and women ages 19 to 30, the USDA recommends two cups of fruit per day. But depending on which fruit is picked, this could be bad news for fruit lovers: Just two cups of sliced bananas adds up to the maximum recommended amount, clocking in at 36 grams of sugar!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Want to kill the sugar industry? well that is anti American, that is only for extremist and the government will put you in the undesirable list that is for sure.

Yes sugar and Obesity are related, so if every America will detox from the sugar addiction guess what, we will be in great shape, people will lose weight, be healthier, big pharma will start to lose money, the insurance companies will reap nothing but record profits and we all become the enemies of the state.

Yes I been sarcastic.

The truth, sugars are link to carbs, carbs to obesity and yes you should not be eating a diet full in those two.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
As anyone on a ketogenic diet understands, ALL sugar is a no no. All sugar spikes your insulin levels and will throw you out of ketosis if consumed in large amounts.

We've been trained to believe saturated fat is bad but you'll be fine eating tons of fruit and carbohydrates all day long.

I think fruit is fine in the summer when you're out sweating all the time. But if you are one of the many people that are stuck in a perpetual winter(i.e. office workers) the best bet is a ketogenic diet.

Just in case someone doesn't know what that is, it's a diet where around 70% of calories are from fat, 25 from protein and 5 percent from carbohydrates.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

I am on the Keto, I started 4 weeks ago, lost already 11 pounds, I am at no more than 20 carbs, 68 protein and the rest is fat, Keto is like Atkin but less protein more fat.

I feel wonderful, after the initial keto flu from the detox, I have more energy that I can handle and that means exercise 5 times a week.

And no I was not obese or overweight, just needed to get back in my ideal weight and was tired of the sugar high and lows.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Yes Atkins has too much protein.

Excess protein actually gets converted into glucose.

I originally went on diet as a preventative to cancer. Both my parents died of it so I've been looking at things I can do as a precaution.

It also doesn't hurt that I've lost 20 lbs and am slowly getting back my sick pack!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Yes, it also help with inflammation that most people are suffering today due to gluten and sugar and inflammation can trigger cancer.

Also eating more fat to burn fat will give you a nice hard fit look once you lose the weight, I have never been fond of hard, skinny, dried out looking women that look brittle, I like the more softer but firm look and fat makes the hair and skin look beautiful without the swelling of too much sugar and carbs.

The first compliment I got was "hey you look firmer and more tone", that made my day.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I saw the movie and it is excellent.

It highlights a lot of the problems with our society. It talks about how the food industry controls the data that says sugar is causing the obesity epidemic and various illnesses. Here's just one "wow" moment from the movie... go look at any ingredient label in your kitchen and notice that sugar does not have a "percent of daily diet" number. Funny how most people, myself included, never noticed that.

When the "low fat" options are formulated, fat is replaced with sugar to retain flavor. The movie follows 4 morbidly obese teens who are desperately trying to lose weight. They've never been taught how to eat healthy... They switch to low fat meals and low fat snacks... all the while, their school cafeteria is peddling Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and McDonald's every day. Some parts of the movie are really tough to watch because these kids are suffering from numerous health problems and they feel hopeless.

edit on 6/11/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I've noticed that my skin looks amazing on this diet.

I am near 30 and people are shocked that I am that old. That's always nice. I think too a lot of that is that you drink more water on this diet. I also think the fat helps.

I have always been naturally able to gain muscle fairly quickly for a woman. On this diet though, the toning seems to be even quicker so that's always a plus(a lot of that is of course weight loss).

I haven't noticed any muscle loss at all as a result of being on this diet(even though I eat far less protein than I use to).

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
There is no underestimating the amount of harm that processed sugar has done to the world population. Easily the most addictive drug, I have been in wtfawe for many years at how governments still allow it to be sold to children. In awe. This substance should be approached with the caution that someone would approach the other most dangerous drugs with, kept well away from the mouth, and wash your hands after taking the safety gloves off. And I am being very serious, and I'm not talking about carbs, which I consider fine as long as they are the right ones (no white bread, but brown rice, beans, whole potatoes, etc.)
edit on 11-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You are still young, this diet will help slow down the aging for you, in my case I am already 53, nobody can tell my age and most people get amazed that I am that old, or that I have a 30 year old daughter, but I always been like that, genetics have a lot to do with it, my weight is always been in my hips but not in my waist, a great glowing skin, healthy thick hair and a fit body will make any person look younger at any age.

I love my 50s and I flaunt my age all the time.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Yeah that's another reason to start taking care of myself now!

I want to be healthy as I age in future.

I already know for the most part what I'm going to look like later because I look eerily like my mother but that still doesn't mean I can't stay fit.

While genetics plays a part in how we look and feel, our choices in food etc. have a huge role as well. I think we are starting to see just how huge a role personal choices make as a result of this obesity epidemic. I don't think suddenly everyone's genes turned bad. I think it's that sugar and carbohydrate consumption skyrocketed.

Thankfully for me I have never liked sugar that much. If I eat a lot of sugar I actually will catch a cold. It's bizarre.

I have always loved meats and fatty food even when I was little. I wanted beef jerky instead of cake for my 8th birthday lol.

So yeah, I am a big fan of this diet and hope to continue it for some time.

Good to see other people out there trying it out!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Interesting posting and video, however there are a few things to be stated:

The problem is not the sugar, the carbs, or the companies. The problem is people. Make no mistake the clown does not stand out there with a gun, shoving burgers into the mouths of people. They are not out there, making people take that food or eat it. The problem is people, and a failure to take personal responsibility.

Once children would go out and run around out in the sun and wind, ride bikes, climb trees, and end up having to work off the calories that they would take in. Now the modern toys, combined with a population of parents that are not willing to say no. And it shows, every time the government says this is bad, people respond, yet not one of them has linked a connection to some of the illnesses that affect people, and the policies that are put out.

Can’t let the children get hurt, so we keep them inside, so they soon look pale and sickly. Can’t say no, so parents will buy and give them anything that a child will want. If you go to any mall, just sit back and watch, children will cry and beg, till they get what they want, very few parents actually stand up and say no. Children do not drive, do not work, have no means of income, yet how is it that if they want to go to a fast food join, who takes them there? If they want say a modern toy, who gets it for them?

If we want to change the health of the nation, then it is not more regulation about what we can and can not put into the body, but changing the policies that started this in the process. Empower parents to say no, encourage cooking at home, and change the idea on what is cool. Take out the technologies and move a step back, and see if that makes a difference. Let children go out, get hurt and learn from their mistakes.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Interesting posting and video, however there are a few things to be stated:

The problem is not the sugar, the carbs, or the companies. The problem is people. Make no mistake the clown does not stand out there with a gun, shoving burgers into the mouths of people. They are not out there, making people take that food or eat it. The problem is people, and a failure to take personal responsibility.

Once children would go out and run around out in the sun and wind, ride bikes, climb trees, and end up having to work off the calories that they would take in. Now the modern toys, combined with a population of parents that are not willing to say no. And it shows, every time the government says this is bad, people respond, yet not one of them has linked a connection to some of the illnesses that affect people, and the policies that are put out.

Can’t let the children get hurt, so we keep them inside, so they soon look pale and sickly. Can’t say no, so parents will buy and give them anything that a child will want. If you go to any mall, just sit back and watch, children will cry and beg, till they get what they want, very few parents actually stand up and say no. Children do not drive, do not work, have no means of income, yet how is it that if they want to go to a fast food join, who takes them there? If they want say a modern toy, who gets it for them?

If we want to change the health of the nation, then it is not more regulation about what we can and can not put into the body, but changing the policies that started this in the process. Empower parents to say no, encourage cooking at home, and change the idea on what is cool. Take out the technologies and move a step back, and see if that makes a difference. Let children go out, get hurt and learn from their mistakes.

Unfortunately, your thought process is just like mine has been for years and it's a big reason we're in this mess to begin with. I'm not suggesting that people should be told what to eat. I'm suggesting that the food industry be held accountable for what is going into its products. If you look at the childhood obesity statistics, you can't simply blame it on lazy kids and lazy parents. Laziness is the RESULT of excess sugar/carb intake and weight gain, not the cause. You can't just wave a magic wand and make kids be more active.

The food corps use your same philosophy while telling everyone that sugar is just fine. They tell us that moderation and exercise are the keys to being healthy. The ugly truth is that the very studies the food corps reference as proof are paid for by the corporations themselves! It's like saying "smoking is good for you, as long as you keep it to 4 or 5 a day... and here's the proof in this study that we paid for using the 'doctors' we keep on our payroll."

The problem is, most parents don't understand how to eat healthy so the ignorance passes on to their children. The kids go to school and their only choices are highly-processed junk heated up in the cafeteria's kitchen, fast food options, or snack food. Kids are being targeted by fast food companies and when the same thing was being done by tobacco companies, the nation threw a fit.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
If you are told something is bad for you, and you still do it, who is at fault? The person who provides the dangerous item, or the person who purchases it?

I can and do blame the parents for the fat children. The children have to be taken to those stores. It is not the children that pay for said items, it is the parents. It is the parents that decide on what the child eats, that pays for the food.

The government says sun is bad, so we keep the children inside, and they don’t get the exercise they need. In some states, like California, if a child is out riding a bike without a helmet or protective gear, the parent gets into trouble for child endangerment. Competition with children are no longer there, can’t have a child feeling bad for not winning. They now give awards for just showing up, not for doing their best.

And you mention about the school lunches, yet fail to take into account that in some schools, a parent can get into trouble for sending lunch with the child, in a brown bag, as it is not considered healthy.

And then there are the government studies, and ultimately those are and should always be looked at with suspicion, lest you find out that the government does not do scientific studies well, as the first sugar study would suggest. If you do not know about the 1970’s sugar study here is a brief explanation:

In the mid 1970’s it was determined, by a study commissioned by the Government, that sugar was bad for the body. Was stated it would cause cancer and all sorts of healthy problems. However when it came out later, that the entire study was messed up. What was messed up about it, and other government studies, is that the people conducting the research did not follow good scientific research, rather they messed it up. They gave sugar to rats, and it was of such a large quantity it was going to cause problems to people. It was the equivalent if a person were to eat several pounds of sugar, every day for years. The entire study turned out to be false and suspect. And it is not the only study that government has done and botched up. They never reveal the entire study and tend to cherry pick the data that best suits them.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

"We've been trained to believe saturated fat is bad but you'll be fine eating tons of fruit and carbohydrates all day long. "

No.

The formula is simple, calories ingested vs calories burned. Tons of fruit and carbs all day long will turn you into a sea cow really quick.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sugar, and specifically HFCS is the issue, and yes it is an addiction and should be regulated. If your logic flies, then ALL drugs should be legal since no one forces you to shoot heroine, snort coc aine or smoke MJ. But it is illegal due to the risks it poses, and the detriment to society as a whole. Sugars should be no different.

Any farmer who raises cattle knows that you feed them grain to fatten them up. HFCS is made from the same grain. In effect we are fattening ourselves up by consuming too much of it. Most of which is hidden in the foods we eat. While exercise does play a minor role in this, it is not the main culprit. Sugars are. All one need do is to look at the chart of the rise in obesity and the introduction and consumption of HFCS to see they are almost parallel to one another. THAT is not a coincidence!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I tried the Atkins diet several years ago and was faithful to the regime for 6 weeks. I lost two pounds and no change in size so I gave it up.

After reading this thread, I researched the Ketogenic diet on several sites and it seems perfect since it is similar to my eating patterns already in place. With the exception of cutting out the carbs – I LOVE bread, I could easily follow this diet. I have been trying to follow a low fat low cal diet for the past couple of days and had already cut out carbs. I went ahead and plugged in the foods I have consumed so far today and now I am looking for more fat and more calories – darn . One more meal to go to get there. I am going to love this diet and I will follow it faithfully for 8 weeks. If I don’t notice anything, I will probably quit. The nutritional values I am going for are 1200 calories a day, 840 calories of fat, 360 calories of protein and 15 calories of carbs (in veg’s). No bread, rice, grains or alcohol etc. Sugar is no issue for me so no problem there. I also don’t eat processed foods so again, no problem. I will be posting my progress if no one minds, I’m pretty excited about this. Hopefully it works because I have 60 pounds of weight to lose. I won’t be at an ideal weight according to the doctor’s charts but I would be happy with those results.

Thanks Marg and Orphan for your posts, I had never heard of this diet before and look forward to yummy food and healthy portions.

OP, I consider white cane sugar a processed sugar. Isn't it funny that 40 years ago children ate probably as much as they do today and they weren't obese or fat. My how the times have changed. Thanks Monsanto!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
enjoy, Fed Up.

edit on 11-6-2014 by SoldierCarryingHashbrowns because: error

top topics

<<   2 >>

join