It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar Orbiting Satellites and a Light Show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hey there.

Over the last few months my brother and I have been watching a polar orbiting satellite from our patio. It is generally pretty bright, though recently it has been more dim than normal. It travels South to North, though we haven't gotten an absolute figure for that yet. We always go out shortly after 2am to watch it pass, and we were out yesterday again when we noticed a different satellite that also had a polar orbit, but instead went North to South. We'd never noticed this over our months of watching. The new N->S sat passed over us within a minute or two of the S->N sat [the one we came out to see].

Does anyone know what these satellites are? I have an app that tracks satellites, and neither of the polar satellites appear on it.

Also, a side note, we saw quite a light show last night. While watching the N->S sat we saw a bright flash in the sky, and then a few minutes later a very beautiful, slow, meteor with a white head and red tail. Not sure if this was all just by chance or what, or if there was a known shower last night.

I'm at 49N 123W.

edit on 6-6-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviWardrobe

S to N could be ENVISAT or NOAA 18

use STELLATIUM program

btw: I love watching ISS, it's much brighter than the stars !
edit on 6-6-2014 by KrzYma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
That's really interesting. There's one thread about a night-time rainbow and a massive electrical storm. Where I am just now (Norway), there was an electrical storm too last night. The previous days had some really amazing sunsets and cloud formations. I'm wondering if they are all connected?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

We had a very intense sunset the other day too. Unnaturally vivid and luminescent. The oranges and reds off the clouds lit up the earth it was so bright. Everything had a bright orange tint and even the mountains were illuminated.

Just got that program! Very cool! Looks like it could have been any number of satellites. We didn't track the orbit to well, and didn't note any reference points... so I can't get an exact match yet, but there are a few possibilities.

Cosmos 1933
Thor Agena D R/B
ISIS 1

I just set the location to my city, set the time to yesterday [this morning] at 2am, and watched. Those are the three that passed with the most similar orbits. Tonight we'll have to write down the exact time, and any notable stars/constellations that it passes through so that we can confirm what we're seeing!

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Since this is a conspiracy website - (non conspiracy info at bottom of this post)

Black Night Satellite

Black Knight also known as the Black Knight satellite is an alleged object orbiting Earth in near-polar orbit that ufologists and fringe authors believe is approximately 13,000 years old and of extraterrestrial origin. However it is most probable that Black Knight is the result of a conflation of a number of unrelated stories.[1]

Non conspiracy
NASA - Polar Orbiting Satellites -old

NASA - Main website

NOAA-M Polar Orbiting Satellites Series

edit on 7-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Hi sat fan.

Do you know:
Heavens-Above.
www.heavens-above.com...

It tells you what sats you can see and when. . .

Blue skies.

new topics

top topics

join