It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Space/Time and Gravity be the same thing?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: spy66
Hmm I think to have the time component of space time that there must be something present that would change such as an electrons movement around a nucleus. Without matter or energy in a void there is nothing to change so time is still or non existent at that location until you introduce something that can change like an atom or photon?

Maybe Space/change would make more sense that term space/time. Cause time is a human concept.

If we have an empty void there would be nothing to measure to deduce time from. In this case the space component would also not exist at a void location because I think the space component is actually gravity.
I suppose such a void might not ever exist inside a universe like ours since it's probable that the local conglomeration of matter and energy that we call our universe likely has a gravity all of its own much like each galaxy does.

But outside any effect of gravity spacetime probably does not exist. I imagine in between galaxies there is only a miniscule amount of gravity from our universe so photons traveling in these almost voids between galaxies might be much faster between galaxies than inside them where gravity drags on them so to speak

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

If we have an empty void there would be nothing to measure to deduce time from.

We have a standard for something that dosnt change, have motion or have minor changes over a long period of time: Its called a constant.

A Space that is absolute empty would be a Absolute Consatnt. Because it would never change over a long period of time.

If you were a observe of this empty Space. You would be able to read time if you had a clock on you. If you were obsevring for changes of this absolute empty Space for one hour. One hour would also pass by for the empty Space not just for you or the clock.
If you dont observe the empty Space. Time would still pass by for the empty Space because it exists.

I suppose such a void might not ever exist inside a universe like ours since it's probable that the local conglomeration of matter and energy that we call our universe likely has a gravity all of its own much like each galaxy does.

This is probably correct. Our universe is a expanding mass. There is no way we would be able to create a absolute empty Space within Our universe. There would not exist a Natural pocket either

A absolute empty Space, is absolute neutral. That means no matter what mass or particle you can think of, no matter how light it is or small it is, It will never be absolute neutral. That is gravity right there.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I''ve been thinking about this recently. Not that time and gravity are the same thing, but they are two directions of the same dimensions - the ana and kata of the fourth dimension, if you will. They seem unlike the other dimensions to us, but that is purely perception. time can only move forward because the universe is always expanding and movement is an expression of time. The denser an object is, the slower it becomes.The more it bends the fabric of space. Black holes are an expression of the point at which the normal tolerances of the fabric of space are ruptured. I don't know, this is all less than half baked, but if time wasn't moving forward at a particular speed, would space bend in the same way around heavy bodies. If it were moving backwards would gravity work in the same way. Is the force of gravity therefore related to the speed of the expansion of the universe. What is supporting the fabric of space around heavy objects to cause them to bend it, why doesn't the object just cause it to stretch tautly.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

If you have Space/time then their must be an energy source, like a star black hole etc. If a place like the Earth forms out of a ball of matter. it inherently has energy and speed. A Black hole, inherently has a great deal of energy, and time stops for the observer on the event horizon. So it looks like ,the more mass the slower the space /time goes for the observer. But on the event horizon, the matter it spinning down the black hole at significant speeds, so might it be the relative speed that creates space time, and therefore a time warp the other side of the black hole. In fact the ultimate conservation of matter , as it pops out the Black hole in the observers past. Everything will eventually end up in a Black hole, then its logical to say it already has.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join