It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Restaurant Bans Gay Couple Because ‘We Do Not Like Fags’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm sure there are plenty of nice restaurants in that town, so it's not like they were strapped for options. Personally, my issue is with the degrading "fags". If I walked up to a white man in that restaurant and called him a honky, would that be acceptable? There's being honest and then there's being tactless.

edit on 29-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Looks like he adopts the same approach as Archie...at 15:25...

"Excuse me...Get lost..."

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

You're message was incorrect. Almost perfect eggshell walking, but you shouldve said "what was allegedly done/said" was wrong.

My honest guess, everyone that goes into this place sees that sign walking in. So two guys decides to bring attention to themselves and now their word is majestically golden.

I have best friends that are gay, but ive also known gay guys that would grab other guys and be overly flirtatious (knowing negative reaction to it could be called out) and do things that would never accepted from a guy towards a girl publicly.

Given the prominence and wording of this sign I believe these two gents targeted the restaurant and are now getting their 5 minutes and I dont believe the waitress called them "fags" on their word.

I'm glad you have friends that are gay but I actually happen to be gay and I think I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks all the same.

Edit: The restaurant released a statement actually admitting the waitress called them fags. I wonder how this woman would react to being publicly called an 'ill-bred, uneducated, stupid redneck btch'?

I wonder how good ol' Big Earl would react?

edit on 29-5-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

People are just ignorant...However, in respect to "Big Earl" and his "policies" he is right (gag)...He does have the right to refuse whom ever he wants.

Should he have been a bit more gracious? Absolutely, but I have a feeling this dude isn't the most sensitive nor the most self-aware, either. In the end, it just makes him look like an ass. Well, to those of us who are able to handle the thought of two people being in love/attracted to each other, regardless if they are male/female/transgendered.

I truly believe people are hard wired, like genetically or deep in the crevices of their brain, when it comes to sexual orientation. Over the years I've had several gay male friends, one close gay female friend, and have had the opportunity to work closely with both. One time my gay female friend hit on me in a pretty aggressive manner. Everyone was out drinking, so I just politely declined her advance and that was the end of it. Never brought it up again, she did and repeatedly apologized profusely. That event didn't change how I feel about people, at all. But, I digress...

Bottom line, some people are more open and are not bothered by other individuals choices. It's their life, their business and if they aren't giving me a hard time, then idc. Other peeps just gotta fuss and fight with EVVVERRYBODDDY and buddy they are PROUD of that. This life's too damn short to be worried and upset about what other people decide to do, especially consenting adults!

Live and Let Live.

edit on 29-5-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Some people are ignorant and closed minded...

All people are ignorant and closed minded in some sense. The only different is the things people choose to be ignorant and closed minded about.

I'm sure there are plenty of things you are ignorant and close minded about, but you don't see it that way, because YOUR views are right, and others are wrong. Just like those people think their view is right.

I wasn't aware anybody in the world had the right to go through life without anybody disliking them.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
I'm sure there are plenty of nice restaurants in that town, so it's not like they were strapped for options.

As a young child, I was with my mother more then once -- when she was refused admittance/service at a restaurant. She had polio. This was prior to the disability act.

NO one should have to "shop around" to find a restaurant that accepts their kind.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Everyone wants equality..........

But if a heterosexual couple gets kicked out of a restaurant for showing PDA , it wouldnt make the news and no one would raise an eyebrow........

But if your gay its a scandal.........

I dont see this "agenda" wanting equality, I see it wanting special treatment

In today's language of double speak, equality = special treatment

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: James1982

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Everyone wants equality..........

But if a heterosexual couple gets kicked out of a restaurant for showing PDA , it wouldnt make the news and no one would raise an eyebrow........

But if your gay its a scandal.........

I dont see this "agenda" wanting equality, I see it wanting special treatment

In today's language of double speak, equality = special treatment

So if it were a disabled couple or anyone else it would be equality, but because it's a gay couple it's special treatment?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

My honest guess, everyone that goes into this place sees that sign walking in. So two guys decides to bring attention to themselves and now their word is majestically golden.

I have best friends that are gay, but ive also known gay guys that would grab other guys and be overly flirtatious (knowing negative reaction to it could be called out) and do things that would never accepted from a guy towards a girl publicly.

Given the prominence and wording of this sign I believe these two gents targeted the restaurant and are now getting their 5 minutes and I dont believe the waitress called them "fags" on their word.

You really think they targeted the place??? Seriously???

Here's how the event went down coming from both sides...

Cheney says the reason Dewberry and his partner were asked not to return was because of their actions. “What I saw was one of them half way under the table with his legs stretched out into the other guy’s lap. And he kind of looked really possum eyed at me as they say it in East Texas, he kind of looked at me like ‘uh-oh’.” But Dewberry says nothing inappropriate was happening. “We’re sitting on separate sides of the booth and really not even doing much talking. Because it was early in the morning and we were just sitting around waiting for our breakfast.”

They're sitting on opposite sides of the table from each other. One has his legs stretched out into the others lap. That's it. No kissing, hugging or anything else. Plus I doubt that the guy was hung so well as to actually reach his junk all the way over to the other side of the table or anything either. So what we have is a couple guys sitting across from each other having breakfast with one of them stretching his legs to the other side and in the other guys lap.

Hardly a situation that would be considered offensive to anyone. Unless of course that someone is just looking for something to be upset about and is willing to use any excuse. Nothing they mention even comes close to being something to be offended about. Which is why they didn't say anything until they were already leaving and had paid.

Only when one adds more to the story or starts embellishing on it could you even begin to say what they did was inappropriate. Taken in context that Big Earl also is somehow the top level authority who defines "what a man is and does and what a woman is and does" and that the daughter labeled them as "fags" makes it fairly obvious to figure out the gist of what went down here.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Congratulations, being gay doesnt give you anymore insight on the incident. I only mention that I have friends/ best friend thats gay as a disclaimer because thats required here with any dissenting voice.

I wish you'd link me to the restaurant admitting she called them that. I didnt see it anywhere.

I stand by my opinion that with such a garish sign in the front door the likelihood is that they decided to put that to the test and got a reaction. I have trouble imagining a waitress taking on the authority to throw people out for rubbing their legs together.

Why are they attacking the restaurant if it was just the waitress?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

My post has to do with supporting the restaurant. I'll be taking my Uncle Bob and Aunt Jeff there with me. Two gay gentlemen that ACT like gentlemen in public.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I wasnt there so I dont know anything for certain, but a sign like that on the front door, I would expect would invite exactly this kind of push back.

When I was younger and in my teens a sign like that would probably prompt me to act up a bit.

If she really said "fags" than I agree with the outrage completely, but I think with a sign like that it is also inevitable someone is going to say "hmm does men acting like men really mean or women acting like women."

I dont know slinking off to post an outrageous encounter online is so alien and seems shady to me i guess. Id cobfront it right in the store.

Cant help but recall the gay waiter who benefited after writibg an anti gay message on her own ticket and then blaming it on a party who found out later.

Not saying thats the case, im just saying anyone looking for a place to get similar attention would see that sign and say " this must be the place."

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

No worries, thanks for the clarity.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I shocked they never served those men but spat or worse in the food they would have like most Restaurant;s do

You just cannot get the staff these day's

I hope he send's this ignorant hill billy woman away to be trained on how to properly abuse people

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Congratulations, being gay doesnt give you anymore insight on the incident. I only mention that I have friends/ best friend thats gay as a disclaimer because thats required here with any dissenting voice.

I wish you'd link me to the restaurant admitting she called them that. I didnt see it anywhere.

I stand by my opinion that with such a garish sign in the front door the likelihood is that they decided to put that to the test and got a reaction. I have trouble imagining a waitress taking on the authority to throw people out for rubbing their legs together.

Why are they attacking the restaurant if it was just the waitress?

Thank you and congratulations on missing the point of me actually mentioning it. good grief, some people just never get it.

If you read my posts, you might likely get a better insight into what I meant.

If you want a link to anything, read the OP.

edit on 29-5-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: Spelling, as usual.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Echo3Foxtrot

My post has to do with supporting the restaurant. I'll be taking my Uncle Bob and Aunt Jeff there with me. Two gay gentlemen that ACT like gentlemen in public.

Ah, I see. I also support the restaurant in doing as they please. If they want to use this publicity wisely they could well attract huge numbers of inbred hicks who dislike the gays.

They might actually do a roaring business.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Edit: The restaurant released a statement actually admitting the waitress called them fags. I wonder how this woman would react to being publicly called an 'ill-bred, uneducated, stupid redneck btch'?

I wonder how good ol' Big Earl would react?

All due respect, no doubt you'd be promptly kicked out.

When I was very young, I was always taught to be on my best behavior out in public. No matter who you are, you can expect to be called out on it if you act crudely in public. The definition of which means different things to different people.

In Texas there has to be thousands and thousands of BBQ joints. Some other joint is going to get more business by using this incident to be more accommodating to gay customers.

People get poor service all the time, called names even. People just gotta get over it. I wouldn't go give my money to an establishment if I thought I was going to be treated like #. You can't just go around acting like you want equal treatment then turn around and cry that you need to be treated differently. That's a double standard that's going around that helps nobody.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

You're message was incorrect. Almost perfect eggshell walking, but you shouldve said "what was allegedly done/said" was wrong.

I read the sign and can comprehend it's meaning...Ladies act like ladies, men act like men, no baggy blah, blah, blah.
However, I am (genuinely) curious as to how you came up with your "honest guess" on the couple's intent...

Like, your "honest guess" that the men intentionally "decides decided to bring attention to themselves and now their word is majestically golden." How does one come up with an "honest guess" such as this?

Also, curious as to how your (stated) opinion that you "believe these two gents targeted the restaurant and are now getting their 5 minutes" and "I dont believe the waitress called them "fags" on their word" adds to the topic at hand?

Are these men known con artists? Do they have a history of setting off eatery owners who hang certain types of signs on their door? Big Earl, is that you? (I kid, I kid)

I am, seriously, just curious as to how were you able to come up with this...conclusion? But, hey, you have gay friends.

BTW, did you talk to them about this story and share your "honest guesses" with your gay friends and did they help you reach these opinions (guesses)?

In my experience (I'm not guessing) most gay men wouldn't do anything to bring "extra" attention to themselves. Especially in the country, as they usually tend to stand out. Like neon green on black. Most gay men are well aware that (especially in a place like this, with a sign like that) they may get the hell beaten out of them and would rather avoid being beaten to a pulp...But, that's JMHO.

Oh, and it is the opinion of my gay (male) family member who has, btw, traveled extensively throughout the USA and all over the globe. Unfortunately, he's had experiences of eating in (too many) places like Earl's. Just wanted to throw that in there so you know he's been places/seen things other than just his hometown and that I actually did go to the trouble of sharing this with someone who is actually gay.

Maybe, someday, people will stop worrying about who other people are attracted to, who they love.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

That's very true, neither of us can say for certain since we aren't the ones there.

I just don't think there are as many militant gay's out there pushing agendas as the media would like us to think. In fact, I imagine most simply want to be left alone since they have to deal with so much judgement on a regular basis. These two guys also didn't look the type to march into some place called Big Carls Bait n Tackle BBQ wanting to start trouble on purpose.

I would agree 100% though that any agenda being pushed could be placed upon the media however. That isn't even something to argue about. That's what the media loves. Making stories out of everyday non events.

Cant help but recall the gay waiter who benefited after writibg an anti gay message on her own ticket and then blaming it on a party who found out later.

Good point. I do recall that as well. There was another one too but about the waitress being Black too wasn't there??? She got caught as well and with massive blow back too because the people she blamed were totally cool too if I remember. Although I might be confusing the two, can't remember...In either case, what a bunch of A-holes!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I wasnt there so I dont know anything for certain, but a sign like that on the front door, I would expect would invite exactly this kind of push back.

Have you not seen ridiculous signs at restaurants, near the front door, in windows, on the walls? I know I have.

If i read that sign, I'd think it was a joke. I would never have taken that sign seriously.

The fact it is meant to be serious is just damn scary.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join