It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you suffer from depression? How do you beat the blues?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Do you suffer from depression?

Yes I do. (most people with sjogrens suffer from it as part of the disease)

How do you beat the blues?

I don't.

Folks seem to be confused about depression vs the blues vs 'being sad'. True depression isn't something that you can go exercise and shake off. It's not something that you can cure simply by making up your mind to go do something. It you just have 'the blues' or 'are sad' ... sure. But not depression. That's completely different. A person with true depression can have trouble even finding the energy or will power to eat dinner let alone go out and exercise. Someone suffering from depression can't 'pull themselves up and out' of it. It doesn't work that way.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Thank you, FlyersFan, for pointing that out to people. Our answers are nearly identical. I believe that depression can be relieved to some extent, but how much of it is relief and how much is adaptation, I'm not sure. I do know that for some, exercise, pills, and meditation are not sufficient. In cases like that, much more drastic measures are offered as the only possible hope.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Agree totally.

When I am in what I call my "black depression" I can barely get the motivation or energy to lift an arm, let alone exercise!!

This is such a difficult subject to give any good solid advice about because it is so personal to the person suffering. It really isn't about feeling 'blue' or 'a bit down'. True depression is very physically disabling as much as it is mental.

I really advice those with depression to ignore those that say "stay away from meds".. speak to your DOCTOR!! And NO pills wont cure it, there is no magical cure but they can help you cope.

Depression is so so complicated, it's never really the same for everyone.. different minds, different coping abilities, different experiences and outlooks, different dreams, fears, anxieties... You get the idea.

I can only speak from my own point of view of course but I no longer think of the past in any shape or form, it simply doesn't exist for me, the past is gone, forever, every day is something else. There is no future either, I never think ahead, I have no dreams or hopes.. so in a lot of respects I DO live in the now as people suggest, but that doesn't really help either because now I am just existing and not living.

The only thing I can suggest, which helps a little for myself is to give myself the go ahead to go ahead and be depressed!! Don't beat yourself up when you're suffering, allow yourself the down time to cope with it, switch your phone off (ignore your friends... yeah I know, I said it...) put your morose music on. I work a lot of hours but when I'm suffering at the weekends, I allow myself to lock myself away and give my brain the time it needs to look for answers.

Oh.. and drink a lot of water

edit on Jul361131America/ChicagoFri, 18 Jul 2014 16:36:11 -0500_9413631 by Mister_Bit because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join