It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Mudslide: 3 Missing On Grand Mesa After Heavy Rains Spark Slide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

A massive mudslide in western Colorado may have swept away three people on Sunday night, the Mesa County Sheriff's Department said.

The mudslide, which was 2 miles wide, 4 miles long and 250 feet deep in some places, was called in to authorities at around 6:15 p.m., The Denver Post reported.

"This slide is unbelievably big," Lt. Phil Stratton of the Mesa County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Rescue teams have been dispatched to the scene to search for three residents who were reported missing in the slide area, 9News reported.

Colorado Mudslide: 3 Missing On Grand Mesa After Heavy Rains Spark Slide

This is breaking news so there's not a lot to tell you guys right now.

This slide occurred just over 100 miles north of where I am. About 50 miles east of Grand Junction... kind halfway to Rifle CO. I don't remember going there but the town of Collbran, is a smallish community of about 700 people just south of Interstate 70. I'm thinking that has to be the highway they show in the photos?

Being a holiday there's not a lot of photos coming out of there yet... I'll try to post them when they come up.

Wow, a 4 mile long slide and 250 feet deep.... I wonder if that's like a record as far as mudslides go?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
From a facebook post.

Colorado two of three are missing. Highway and three are missing after a woman who . Is dead and missing after deadly mudslide in flooding, mudslide in Manitou

so it sounds like one of the three missing has found...DOA...

edit on 26-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
That's horrible but I've been expecting it. I'm along the front range, east side of La Veta Pass. We've had so much rain it's melting the snow pack at a faster rate. Even a little rain at altitude can turn into a torrent if it starts melting all that snow.

That's a mountain of dirt/rocks. The right side of the landscape is black compared to the left, looks like a burn scar. The southwest was hard hit by wild fires last year. I'm sure there's lots of scars. Everyone in Springs is keeping an eye on waldo canyon.

We need to be very careful when hiking. Ground saturation causes rocks/boulders to become unstable. Lots of hikers out there this weekend. Hope they all make it back home safe/sound.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

I'm down here in Cortez kind of on the way towards Durango.

anyway last night around 6 I was watching the TV news out of GJ.
Then they were expecting a heavy downpour to hit them and were tracking the storm ... this same storm... and they were projecting 1 to 2 inches of rain fall would hit GJ between 6:30 and 7:00 PM.

I had no idea as I watched that weather report that storm was causing an epic mudslide!

edit on 26-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Makes it so much worse when it hits at night. We got a downpour yesterday, solid wall of rain/hail fell for about 10 minutes. Wasn't enough to cause problems but when it starts you never know what you're in for.

During the flooding last year people trapped in homes could hear boulders coming down the mountains all night long. I couldn't imagine sitting there waiting for that hit. Pretty scary.

I've never been to Cortez, made it to Mesa Verde though. Last year wildfires/smoke kept us out of your neck of the woods but we hope to make it over there this summer. Sand Dunes too love them and the gator farm of course.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join