It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

travel faster than light?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nox
I didn't make any mention that nothing can be AT the speed of light. Obviously, photons (with their 0 rest mass) DO move at the speed of light.

Without photons their would be no light would their ? So photons[light] would have to move at the speed of light otherwise their would be no speed of light.

Nox

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
That's not what I'm saying
- Gravity is not just a curvature of space-time as all the effects of gravity cannot be explained by only this assumption and gravitational waves infact travell faster thatn light and not at the speed of light c as you said in a previous reply to my post !!

How humorous. You criticize me for making a blanket assumption by making one of your own.

Does gravity propagate faster than light? Who knows?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Not so humurous actually! I actually read that article when I wrote my earlier post and also read many other articles that say that gravitational waves infact are accepted to travel faster than the speed of light so as to satisfy various unexplained effects such as those I have already mentioned. And as present day technology cannot be used to determine the speed of gravity I have presented many astronomical observations to show that it actually is faster than light. If you have read the article that you posted in its entirety it says that By using astronomical observations it is possible to determine a fair idea of the velocity of gravity. I however do not agree with his comparision of just two binary pulsar to arrive at his conclusion but even he says that the probabailty of gravity exceeding light speed,(according to him by 1% ,without posting any refrences to the deduction!!:dn

Nox

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
You misunderstood his quote.

"... actual measurement confirms that the speed of gravity is equal to the speed of light to within 1%..."

not what you made it sound to be "1% over the speed of light".

The 1% is just a margin of error, not extra speed.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
1%error means either 1% over c or 1% under c - SO IT CAN BE OVER c AS WELL AS UNDER c!> BTW I don't think his theory is sound! look at the link I posted a few posts back- that gives Staunch support for gravity waves beyond c.

Xon

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
If you travel faster then light, then nobody can see you? becouse the light cant keep upp? But how can you make a engine that give signals that go over the speed of light?

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I posted the same thing a while ago... pz do a search before u post...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
the posibility of the "faster than light" speed is under some quantum physics concepts like tunnel effect or quantum entanglement, its nothing to do with an conventional travel in the 4 dimentions,maybe the problem is how to induce (and increase) the natural wave propieties of the matter (obviusly in an relative way), any idea????

i think that it could be possible frezzing the "space -ship" near of the 0 kelving temperature, but i dont have my ideas so clear

[edit on 12-12-2004 by grunt2]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by grunt2
i think that it could be possible frezzing the "space -ship" near of the 0 kelving temperature, but i dont have my ideas so clear

[edit on 12-12-2004 by grunt2]

Perhaps:
1. Scan the volume of space ahead.
2. Freeze the region of space containing the ship.
3. Jump (quantum tunnel) through space.
4. Un-freeze.
If the freezing takes little time, it could be made imperceptible. And travel in this mode would not suffer from relativistic weirdness.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bondi
How would you know if you travelled faster than the speed of light, without light you wouldn't be able to see your speedometer

You'll still be able to see your speedometer except it'll be going backwards!

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
kerinchoff (sp?) radiation travels faster than the speed of light. well kind of

in nuke reactors when they are cooling the used rods down they place them in this tank of water. A blue glow is emmitted which is caused by the neutrons comming out of the rods into teh water at a greater velocity that that of light through the same liquid

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Speed of light is the universe's speed limit. Einstein stated basically if he and I were in cars going 60 mph in opposite direction heading toward each other and passed by, it would seem to bothof us that the other was going 120mph. But if he and I were going the speed of light, we would pass by and ONLY see each other as going the speed of light, not twice as fast as the speed of light. Reference fram my friend, look it up.

"Maybe we have misunderstood Einstein's theory of relativity"? Oh, yeah, sure, and we know this because you can disprove that theory? By all means, go ahead and post the proof. You will instantly become one of (if not) the most respected scientist of our time and history.

Then again, not all light travels at the same speed, you can actually slow light down, so yes, it may be possible to go faster than the speed (of sum) light.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
sorry if i say something said.
but i do believe that light travel will never be possible in real space (ill explain in a sec about the ""real space""). forget the mass thing. if we could travel that fast, we would probably stop, and be dead just as fast as the speed was achieved. this would be because that there are things, and objects in space, obviously such as planets, asteroids, stars, black holes, and other huge masses that would kill us; my point being, that we would be bound to hit something.
now, to the real space. what i mean, obviously, is regular, normal space. i called it that, becuase the only way that i see light travel ever becoming possible, is that we find some way to open another demention, where, there is nothing. kind of like a worm hole... nothing in them. now if this is ever possible, then this is where mass comes in... does it still matter, if, there is a way to open a worm hole, or another demention, or whatever might work? thats something to think about....

[edit on 15-12-2004 by azdude1804]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
A way in which you could stop your vessel from hitting things at such extreme speeds is phasing it a few degrees out of phase with the universe, thus you would still be in the universe, but you could pass through things.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Speed of light is the universe's speed limit.

frosty, i think that your wrong, speed of light is the speed of the energy on PHASE, only that, einstein suck

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
A way in which you could stop your vessel from hitting things at such extreme speeds is phasing it a few degrees out of phase with the universe, thus you would still be in the universe, but you could pass through things.

what do u mean by phasing it a few degrees out of phase with the universe?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Yeah, jusy enough to let it pass through solid objects.

Ric

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
They managed to send an electric signal 120 metres, and during the peak it traveled 4 billion km/h, thats a couple of times the speed of C. But only during the peak, for the whole pulse itself did not...thus Einsteins theory of relativity is preserved.

www.newscientist.com...

Ric

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
They managed to send an electric signal 120 metres, and during the peak it traveled 4 billion km/h, thats a couple of times the speed of C. But only during the peak, for the whole pulse itself did not...thus Einsteins theory of relativity is preserved.

www.newscientist.com...

Ric

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
i apologise for the double send.. lag accident

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join