It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sense Of Reality Defined By Need For Equilibrium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
All things strive towards equilibrium. The same is true with our body, our mind, and our perception of the world. You can see this for yourself, you can feel this for yourself. And with this, you can see how it is maintained, and how this opens up potential for change. There is a pattern of 'tension' in our muscles that forms how we uphold and feel our body. The way we differ from complete openness, relaxation, and non-tension. Our eyes do the same essential thing in terms of our perception of our environment. This 'tension' is related to focus points. There is a pattern of focus points in our eyes that basically define the general way we see the world. When your eyes unfocus, this way of seeing things does not hold up. You can attempt to look closely at things while maintaining this lack of focus, but you are unable to see it the way it 'actually is' according to your normal mode of perception.

Now, in an attempt to maintain equilibrium, your eyes attempt to snap into a way of focusing. This is generally what it does to uphold your normal way of seeing things. Every so often your eyes focus in a pre-defined way, 'confirm' that things still look that way, and then relax into just accepting that that's the way things look again. Your eyes do this over and over. From the unfocused state, new patterns of focus can form, which define new ways of seeing things.

Your mind is just the same. There is a basic mindset which is your equilibrium, as it applies to the various aspects of the mental world. Your thoughts are, for the most part, the way in which your mind attempts to maintain equilibrium, comparable to the focusing of the eyes. When you think a thought, it is generally your mind making a proposition which your feelings react to and your pre-defined mindset is confirmed by the nature of those feelings. Your feelings are like attraction-points that define your mindset. Thoughts elicit response based on pre-defined central/neutral points, which your feelings attempt to force you to stay within a relatively narrow range of, thus maintaining equilibrium. When you 'unfocus' your body/eyes/mind, and the more that you do this, the more this equilibrium is loosened, and thus new ways of seeing/feeling/thinking open up. In this way the relativity of it all is revealed.
edit on 23-5-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
In physics, equilibrium is system balance, otherwise described as full entropy. The equal dispersion of all integral constituents. Another term for this is system death.

Unless you've decided to invent your own definition of equilibrium, then you might want to rethink your hypothesis.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorEaster
In physics, equilibrium is system balance, otherwise described as full entropy. The equal dispersion of all integral constituents. Another term for this is system death.

Unless you've decided to invent your own definition of equilibrium, then you might want to rethink your hypothesis.

dictionary.reference.com...

1. a state of rest or balance due to the equal action of opposing forces.
2. equal balance between any powers, influences, etc.; equality of effect.
3. mental or emotional balance; equanimity: The pressures of the situation caused her to lose her equilibrium.

The OP describes how the mind/body/eyes find a point at which it remains balanced, not getting carried away by impulses which take it too far from the central/neutral/baseline point...which is basically what equilibrium means...

I'm not using the term in some specialized sense in the field of physics, I'm using it in a general sense which it works fine for...not that quibbling over the definition of 'equilibrium' really has anything to do with what I talk about in OP.
edit on 23-5-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney
When you think a thought, it is generally your mind making a proposition which your feelings react to and your pre-defined mindset is confirmed by the nature of those feelings. Your feelings are like attraction-points that define your mindset. Thoughts elicit response based on pre-defined central/neutral points, which your feelings attempt to force you to stay within a relatively narrow range of, thus maintaining equilibrium. When you 'unfocus' your body/eyes/mind, and the more that you do this, the more this equilibrium is loosened, and thus new ways of seeing/feeling/thinking open up. In this way the relativity of it all is revealed.

I would like to twist around what you said above , if I may.

I consider that it works the other way round. It is the feelings /emotions that jets out and encounter resistance from the mind. The two forces pushing against each other result into a reality becoming manifest.

The reality experienced will depend on the level at which you are functioning. The "equilibrium" that you refer to is nothing more than the interaction of opposite forces.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: NorEaster

Astute observation, relating equilibrium to entropy.

Maybe the OP is stating that the driving force of reality is entropy? That would actually make sense to me.

I don't think it is an accidental choice of words that "information" is measured in units of entropy, the higher the randomness (more entropy) the more information that exists, where the maximum amount of information that can exist is a system that is completely random.

Yes -- information is associated with randomness and our ability to be surprised. The more randomness, the more information. So total equilibrium would be total information (at least as defined in information theory.)

en.wikipedia.org...(information_theory)

So -- take the OP and re-read it -- substitute the word "information" for every occurrence of "equilibrium", and see what you get.

Pretty wild.

new topics

top topics

join